Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…the lack of resources to get all this work done as quickly as the developers–and everyone else, of course–want to see the projects go from proposals to deliverables.

As slowly as Edwards has built out Neighborhood Launch (though is rapidly working on multiple buildings at the moment)… have you seen their progress so far on the Gateway Expansion? They’re throwing buildings up crazy fast. Looks like part of the infrastructure is pre-fab, so three or four stories of concrete popped up out of the ground in just a couple of days. Super fast.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    …the lack of resources to get all this work done as quickly as the developers–and everyone else, of course–want to see the projects go from proposals to deliverables.

As slowly as Edwards has built out Neighborhood Launch (though is rapidly working on multiple buildings at the moment)… have you seen their progress so far on the Gateway Expansion? They’re throwing buildings up crazy fast. Looks like part of the infrastructure is pre-fab, so three or four stories of concrete popped up out of the ground in just a couple of days. Super fast.

That project has seen really efficient development, no doubt.

The reason I noted that, however, was this statement from Brett Kaufman in BusinessFirst:

Q: What about your company keeps you awake at night?
    A: The number of opportunities we are trying to funnel through our pipeline. This is a phenomenally active time in our city and around the country. We are very excited about the opportunities we are seeing literally every day. We have to make sure that we attract talent to the city to support the development, especially on the construction side. There is a tremendous shortage of trades (workers) right now, which is driving up costs and slowing down the pace of development. If this doesn’t improve, it will certainly have a very detrimental outcome to what’s possible.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Almost every city with even a tiny bit of growth is seeing a lot of infill these days. We need to move away from this idea that what’s happening in Columbus is somehow unique, because it isn’t, and there is evidence that the city is actually doing poorly compared to many of its peers in terms of overall development. And even if one believes that it’s a lot, it can still do better, and the projects that do get proposed should still be pushed to be the best they can be. I think many can agree that the latter is definitely not happening, whether it comes to transit or individual projects. It says a lot that this forum, which focuses on development and has many posters who care about development, still aren’t all that demanding when it comes to standards. So if the people who are somewhat passionate about development aren’t demanding better, I’m not sure who else would be. That to me is and has always been Columbus’ biggest problem. I love the city, it’s my hometown, and overall it’s a great place, but this is an area where it consistently and frustratingly falls short.

Now to keep this somewhat on topic, the design for the hotel is super boring- and to top it off destroying a historic, award-winning building… which of course the city rolled over on as usual. The design for the Bridge Park hotel is about 10x better than this or any hotel project recently announced within Columbus, especially Downtown, and it’s a glaring example of how Columbus developers don’t seem to be even trying all that hard. But really, who is telling them to?

I agree that many of the designs are uninspiring. But I think you’re too focused on downtown core. Campus, Grandview (especially with nationwide campus), short north including Italian village, and parsons are booming with development including high rise or enormous infill. That’s not even mentioning neighborhood launch, High and Gay, Commons, and the eventual borros development. Unlike most cities, improving the surrounding neighborhoods will bolster downtown.

By the time the high and Gay stuff completes, we will be close to a fully connected High Street from campus to german village. I’m much more excited to see that happen than I am a 30 story building.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>
    Almost every city with even a tiny bit of growth is seeing a lot of infill these days. We need to move away from this idea that what’s happening in Columbus is somehow unique, because it isn’t, and there is evidence that the city is actually doing poorly compared to many of its peers in terms of overall development. And even if one believes that it’s a lot, it can still do better, and the projects that do get proposed should still be pushed to be the best they can be. I think many can agree that the latter is definitely not happening, whether it comes to transit or individual projects. It says a lot that this forum, which focuses on development and has many posters who care about development, still aren’t all that demanding when it comes to standards. So if the people who are somewhat passionate about development aren’t demanding better, I’m not sure who else would be. That to me is and has always been Columbus’ biggest problem. I love the city, it’s my hometown, and overall it’s a great place, but this is an area where it consistently and frustratingly falls short.

Now to keep this somewhat on topic, the design for the hotel is super boring- and to top it off destroying a historic, award-winning building… which of course the city rolled over on as usual. The design for the Bridge Park hotel is about 10x better than this or any hotel project recently announced within Columbus, especially Downtown, and it’s a glaring example of how Columbus developers don’t seem to be even trying all that hard. But really, who is telling them to?

I agree that many of the designs are uninspiring. But I think you’re too focused on downtown core. Campus, Grandview (especially with nationwide campus), short north including Italian village, and parsons are booming with development including high rise or enormous infill. That’s not even mentioning neighborhood launch, High and Gay, Commons, and the eventual borros development. Unlike most cities, improving the surrounding neighborhoods will bolster downtown.

By the time the high and Gay stuff completes, we will be close to a fully connected High Street from campus to german village. I’m much more excited to see that happen than I am a 30 story building.

I was talking about more than Downtown, although it’s true that I think Downtown is getting shafted the worst in terms of project design. I’m also not exclusively talking about height. It’s more about the attitude, or the lack of truly comprehensive standards on development. For a long time, it’s been more “Oh great, development, we’ll take it!” than “Wait, is this the best we can do for this location? What can we do to make it better?” Developers aren’t pushing the envelope largely because they’re not required to, or really even given a mild suggestion to.

Having a complete, fully connected High from say, German Village all the way through Campus and perhaps Clintonville is awesome, and I think few, if any, cities Columbus’ size could boast something like that. Eventually that stretch might be even longer, from Merion Village to Worthington.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

It’s more about the attitude, or the lack of truly comprehensive standards on development. For a long time, it’s been more “Oh great, development, we’ll take it!” than “Wait, is this the best we can do for this location? What can we do to make it better?” Developers aren’t pushing the envelope largely because they’re not required to, or really even given a mild suggestion to.

Having a complete, fully connected High from say, German Village all the way through Campus and perhaps Clintonville is awesome, and I think few, if any, cities Columbus’ size could boast something like that. Eventually that stretch might be even longer, from Merion Village to Worthington.

Run for mayor, or get on the Downtown commission at least.

Could not agree more, even as much progress as I believe we’ve made and are making–it needs to be cohesive, high-quality, and consistent.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant
Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 81 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE