Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author

InnerCore
    Participant

I take it none of you live in this area… my condo is right behind this proposed 12 stories… my northern view is officially gone when this built. Couldn’t have bought this at worse time.

It’s not like they’re building a billboard in front of your ocean view. I’ve got a friend with a north facing unit in City View and while beauty is in the eye of the beholder there isn’t much to see. The best view is probably on the rooftop looking south. For some the additional building is only going to add to the “city view”.

Regardless from an investment perspective the additional development is only a positive for you. You should be happy you bought before the development comes instead of having to pay the premium afterward.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

4th street has potential up and down the street…but you’re right, that area in particular is a nice blank canvas just awaiting smart development.

I’m not a fan of how NW Boulevard came together–all those hotels and so little foot traffic along that stretch. It should be a dynamic block. But new development, done well, can hopefully improve things.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

I’m disappointed by the commission’s attitude toward enforcing the design standards. Just like with the new Hilton, our governance structure fails to enforce consistent sidewalks and no skywalks. Why do we even have these standards if developers get a variance? Why should a hotel get a curb cut? They can’t find a way to operate without one? There must be literally thousands of hotels around the globe that operate perfectly fine without cutting into a downtown sidewalk and creating a hazardous situation for pedestrians. Did they seriously threaten to pull the plug on the project without a curb cut??

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Dublin’s getting a nice, new hotel, of a similar size but dissimilar design.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Speaking of this, I want to know why Columbus is building a wall to hide the view of Nationwide from the 3rd street bridge? It’s a pretty stunning view of a vibrant city as you drive south into downtown. It doesn’t look like the wall is high enough to prevent rock tossing, so I have to wonder what the rational is.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Speaking of this, I want to know why Columbus is building a wall to hide the view of Nationwide from the 3rd street bridge? It’s a pretty stunning view of a vibrant city as you drive south into downtown. It doesn’t look like the wall is high enough to prevent rock tossing, so I have to wonder what the rational is.

I was wondering the same thing, but I assumed it was an ODOT project rather than a city project. Or maybe an ODOT requirement for the installation of the bike lanes?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eugene_C wrote:</div>

I was wondering the same thing, but I assumed it was an ODOT project rather than a city project. Or maybe an ODOT requirement for the installation of the bike lanes?

Seems like its probably to prevent people from going over the side since actual people will be out there now with the bike lanes.

Falah
    Participant

Seems like all the projects slated for downtown have been underwhelming. Other cities like pittsburgh and cincinnati build buildings taller than 12 stories. Massive projects are underway. Columbus needs to aim higher.

ACsmifth3
    Participant

I totally agree

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Seems like all the projects slated for downtown have been underwhelming. Other cities like pittsburgh and cincinnati build buildings taller than 12 stories. Massive projects are underway. Columbus needs to aim higher.

I think our obsession with height is becoming a bit much. 12 stories is a nice win for this area. I’ll do cartwheels when someone thinks bigger. But there’s a lot of excellent development upcoming to get really excited about especially when you factor in the connectedness of High St.

lbl
    Participant

I have to agree –
    City planners continue to have that “Cow-Town” attitude towards the vision of what we COULD be.
    overall – disappointing.

Because of terrain those 2 cities have fewer spaces for projects. I’ll take our great population growth and tons of infill all over the city over two nearly stagnant metros building taller. Who cares? Does it add to the street level experience? That’s what’s important. Not the skyline.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think our obsession with height is becoming a bit much. 12 stories is a nice win for this area.

+1

If a 40-story proposal falls out of the sky, hooray.

If not, I’m not going to complain too much about a constant stream of five to seventeen story buildings announced every month.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The only one that I think raised everyone’s eyebrows was Edwards’ proposal at Gay and High.

Aside from that, the only thing to bemoan at this point is the lack of resources to get all this work done as quickly as the developers–and everyone else, of course–want to see the projects go from proposals to deliverables.

Cbus is making great, great progress. I’m not sure there’s ever been a more exciting time to be here.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Almost every city with even a tiny bit of growth is seeing a lot of infill these days. We need to move away from this idea that what’s happening in Columbus is somehow unique, because it isn’t, and there is evidence that the city is actually doing poorly compared to many of its peers in terms of overall development. And even if one believes that it’s a lot, it can still do better, and the projects that do get proposed should still be pushed to be the best they can be. I think many can agree that the latter is definitely not happening, whether it comes to transit or individual projects. It says a lot that this forum, which focuses on development and has many posters who care about development, still aren’t all that demanding when it comes to standards. So if the people who are somewhat passionate about development aren’t demanding better, I’m not sure who else would be. That to me is and has always been Columbus’ biggest problem. I love the city, it’s my hometown, and overall it’s a great place, but this is an area where it consistently and frustratingly falls short.

Now to keep this somewhat on topic, the design for the hotel is super boring- and to top it off destroying a historic, award-winning building… which of course the city rolled over on as usual. The design for the Bridge Park hotel is about 10x better than this or any hotel project recently announced within Columbus, especially Downtown, and it’s a glaring example of how Columbus developers don’t seem to be even trying all that hard. But really, who is telling them to?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!