Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

Looks like a top floor event venue or restaurant in the new rendering?

drtom1234
    Participant

The updated rendering looks a bit nicer than previous; maybe it’s because the garish red of the brick has been toned down? But will that be enough for the commission to allow the demolition of an architectural award-winning building?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Putting a bar/restaurant up there would be a nice touch.

Hopefully we’ll hear a few more details next week.

ohbr
    Participant

The updated rendering looks a bit nicer than previous; maybe it’s because the garish red of the brick has been toned down? But will that be enough for the commission to allow the demolition of an architectural award-winning building?

The updated renderings appear to show that they are still maintaining the facade at the very least. I don’t know how much of the interior is left to preserve but maintaining the facade is a step in the right direction.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Love the rooftop event space…..assuming that that is what it is.

heresthecasey
    Participant

There’s not much more detail in the full article.

(Paraphrasing)

It will be 168 rooms. It was thought the originally proposed Hilton Garden Inn wasn’t high-end enough, so they were pursuing an AC hotel instead, but Marriott preferred the Park St site to this one. Consequently they ended up picking Canopy, which is a new brand and doesn’t have any hotels actually open yet. Even with this, the AC, and the new Le Meridien, Experience Columbus thinks we still need a new 1,000 room convention hotel.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Plans, which include demo of the existing building, were approved – http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/10/20/Luxury-hotel-planned-for-Downtown.html

jdneer
    Participant

I take it none of you live in this area… my condo is right behind this proposed 12 stories… my northern view is officially gone when this built. Couldn’t have bought this at worse time.

News
    Participant

New 12-Story Hotel Approved by Downtown Commission
    October 20, 2015 1:30 pm – Walker Evans

A proposal for a new 12-story hotel returned for review by the Downtown Commission this morning, with a few updates to the design and the details. Most notably, the hotel brand has been changed from a Hilton Garden Inn to a Canopy by Hilton, a newer luxury brand concept that caters to urban markets throughout the US. Under the new brand, the lobby would be designed with a contemporary feel that would put the bar, restaurant and cafe front and center.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/canopy-by-hilton-columbus

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I take it none of you live in this area… my condo is right behind this proposed 12 stories… my northerly view is officially gone when this built. Couldn’t have bought this a worse time. There goes my investment.

This project has been discussed publicly since January:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/renderings-unveiled-for-new-12-story-downtown-hotel

While your view will certainly change, I’d hold off on assuming that the value of your condo will drop. Additional visitors at a hotel Downtown will bring more business, more development and more value. Which should be good for your investment.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jdneer wrote:</div>
    I take it none of you live in this area… my condo is right behind this proposed 12 stories… my northerly view is officially gone when this built. Couldn’t have bought this a worse time. There goes my investment.

This project has been discussed publicly since January:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/renderings-unveiled-for-new-12-story-downtown-hotel

While your view will certainly change, I’d hold off on assuming that the value of your condo will drop. Additional visitors at a hotel Downtown will bring more business, more development and more value. Which should be good for your investment.

I don’t mean for this to sound unsympathetic but unless there are deed restrictions it seems presumptuous in any downtown to assume there will not be future development. That was the first question I asked the rep at The Julian development during the 2014 Urban Living Tour, with regard to the big parking lot across Front St. and the river views.

WJT
    Participant

*edited-see my next post below this one.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This project is a good 500 feet + north of your building. Two alleys, two quarter blocks, and one full street north is hardly ‘right behind’.

I think you’re mixing up City View with something else. It’s right on the other side of the alley (Locust Street) from the HER offices where the new building will go:

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>
    This project is a good 500 feet + north of your building. Two alleys, two quarter blocks, and one full street north is hardly ‘right behind’.

I think you’re mixing up City View with something else. It’s right on the other side of the alley (Locust Street) from the HER offices where the new building will go:

You are absolutely right. My bad, and that does make a big difference. I retract my former post(and it’s rather unsympathetic viewpoint).

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Badly needed boost for this area. With wolf Ridge, max and ermas, and flat iron, there’s such terrific walkable retail potential. But then you see the rotation of restaurants at 89 fish and other pizza that struggle to stay there.

Between this and the Tradewinds, and as long St developments creep closer, I just really hope the shoe will drop soon to start knocking those massive parking lots down across from wolf Ridge. That’s the one area where we just haven’t seen much progress with all this great downtown development.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!