Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author

cadillackid
    Participant

having installed technology in many a HGI.. this one is a standard cookie-cutter look to it.. trouble with building nice-looking true to city hotels is that the ROI on the added costs isnt there.. Hotel guests in the 21st century arent wow’d by mini bars, Long distance phone calls, in-room movies and certainly dont want to pay for the internet…

in short a HUGE psrt of a hotel’s original revenue stream is now gone.. so spending lots of money on a fancy building isnt an option.. yes room rastes go up some.. but guests simply demand lower rates, competition for rooms gets stiff, and RAC rates must drop or a hotel stays empty..

more and more of the sites I install telecom in, look like the “last one” built in a brand.. standard plans, standard fixtures, standard everything.. and most of it pretty cheap-looking… even in upper brands..

I’d like to sdee the city fight back a bit to keep some character, but my guess is that they developer will just pull back… and it may be a case like mentioned where the 170 rooms make a difference for the DNC possibilities.. and YES buildings ARE built for one-time events.. can we say olympics?

and of course the coat-tails effects that landing the DNC would have.. expose people to the city who then recommend it for their future cons.. or a convention being able to say “in a city that was home to the DNC”.. all sells hotel rooms…
    -Christopher

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Second attempt at approval for this is included in the dtown commission agenda for next week, with the added note of “This concept is a significant departure from the original presentation.”
    Sounds promising!

WJT
    Participant

I can’t help but hope that it is not only aesthetically better, but also taller. Can’t help it-I like height!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Agreed, WJT.

Added height and dramatic aesthetic improvements would be tremendous, which is easy for me to say from my perch far away from having any involvement with the development aside from having an opinion about the city’s ongoing growth. :)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Same height as originally planned but it’s still going to be a tough battle because it will require the demo of the historic Trott & Bean building. – http://columbuslandmarks.org/endangered-no-3-trott-bean/

Winner of the First Annual James B. Recchie Design Award and an award from the Architects Society of Ohio, the former plating and silvering plant was located on Naghten Street, an area now on Nationwide Boulevard. Vaudvillities used the building for rehearsal, stage and set construction until 1979 before attempts to turn it into a retail center failed. It was purchased by Continental Development and Trott & Bean Architects, Inc. as a joint venture and renovated and restored for private office space and conference facilities. The building is threatened with demolition for the development of a new hotel on the site.

From the agenda: Conceptual review for a 12 story, 170 room Hilton Garden Hotel. Construction at that location will necessitate the demolition of the 2 story HER Real Estate Building CC3359.05(C), 3359.23

JAL
    Participant

So with the historic value of the HER building it sounds like for those of you who need “height, height, and more height” and 12 stories isn’t enough, it sounds like it is a good possibility that sight could just remain 2 stories instead of 12 for a long time.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

The historic aspect came up during the last presentation so the developer is fully aware. Maybe in this round they’ll attempt to integrate new & old?

I’ve brought up the Hampton Inn a few times before and can’t help doing it again, such a great job with the preservation of the old High St storefronts.

Pablo
    Participant

^The Hampton Inn pictured above was designed by local architects Bird Houk which was bought out by OHM, the new hotel’s designers. I wonder if any of the same architects are working on this project?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

That’s encouraging…

WJT
    Participant

So with the historic value of the HER building it sounds like for those of you who need “height, height, and more height” and 12 stories isn’t enough, it sounds like it is a good possibility that sight could just remain 2 stories instead of 12 for a long time.

I would like a higher building but it would have to be a good design. I would much rather leave it as it is rather than have the ugly design that was shown to us the first time.

I sometimes wonder if these people start thinking about design and then just say, ‘Oh hell, it is just Columbus…it’s good enough for Columbus!” I think this is a case where we can actually say we are not demolishing this historic building for anything less than something that may very well end up on a valued historic(or some kind of)list itself. Give us great or give us nothing. It is not like this site is a horrible eyesore or anything, and we will be just fine without a 12 story ugly hotel. If the market demands it, more hotel rooms will be built on another site.

Some of these hotel designs look like damn institutions. In Kaliningrad.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’m usually a big proponent of historic preservation. But I wouldn’t lose any sleep over this building being replaced. If you look at the fascades of the buildings that Hampton incorporated or even the fascades of the buildings next to this one, they have character and detailing that’s worth preserving in my opinion. Especially in a town that has bulldozed much of its past. But come on, the HER building is not so much historic as it is old. It’s really just a plain 2 story building with a slight detail towards the top of the brick columns. And the massive modern windows further remove any historic feel. If we were going to preserve something, it should have been the trautman building,but this can one can go. I just hope the new hotel design surpasses the last one.

News
    Participant

Proposal for 12-Story Hotel Downtown Slowed by Concerns from Commission
    June 10, 2015 2:59 pm – Brent Warren

A proposal to build a 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Hotel at 77 East Nationwide Boulevard has run into resistance from the Downtown Commission. Indus Hotels brought plans to the commission’s May 26th meeting, having made changes to the design they first presented in January.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/proposal-for-12-story-hotel-downtown-slowed-by-concerns-from-commission-bw1

JRemy
    JRemy
    Participant

This is an improvement… I think though more could be done to create a greater contrast between what is existing and what is new. I think it would be cool to see more glass in the new section built above the existing.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

BusinessFirst reports today that Indus Hotels have locked in Hilton’s Canopy Hotel brand for this project.

Based on a few minutes of Googling, it appears Canopy is just over a year old, and there are four general tenants of this brand:

> Great neighborhoods. Canopy by Hilton is the streetlamp of the neighborhood. We are all about being local, through design, food and beverage, art, and local know-how. No two Canopy hotels will be the same, and we know that’s what our guests want.
    > Comfort and design. We take a people first approach to design. The energy from our great neighborhoods flows through our open, welcoming lobby space. This energy gives way to warm, inviting, and comfortable just-right rooms.
    > More included value. We know our guests demand a more inclusive approach and surprising extras. So basic Wi-Fi and an artisanal breakfast are included, along with a local welcome gift and an evening tasting of local beer, wine, or spirits*.
    > Our “positively yours” culture. With a “positively yours” service culture, hotel “Enthusiasts” will deliver a one-stop approach to front-of-house service.

The article on BizFirst is behind a paywall, so I’m unaware of any other potential tidbits in the story.

futureman
    Participant

And updated rendering as well –

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!