Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development 12-story, 170-room Hilton Garden Inn Proposed Downtown

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Rahburts
    Participant

I read from the bottom up and saw the Pittsburgh HGI rendering and thought it was for Columbus first before scrolling up and seeing what is proposed. :/

Maybe the commission can push for a better more modern design.

ohbr
    Participant

Too bad Columbus can’t be among the one(s) to break the standard HGI mold like Pittsburgh.

ohbr
    Participant

So that’s not just a Hilton Garden Inn in Pittsburgh. It’s a large mixed use development and Hilton Garden Inn will be the hotel in it. That makes the project even better than it just being a hotel IMO. Office, retail, restaurant, garage, hotel, 18 stories…. A CUs dream….

http://www.cpexecutive.com/cities/pittsburgh/gardens-at-market-square-mixed-use-project-breaks-ground-in-downtown-pittsburgh/1004082945.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

So that’s not just a Hilton Garden Inn in Pittsburgh. It’s a large mixed use development and Hilton Garden Inn will be the hotel in it.

I think it’s pretty common for hotel buildings to be constructed/owned by a private developer who then contracts a major hotel operator to manage/run the facility. Hilton is not building or designing these buildings (though perhaps they have some type of input in the process?).

So, comparing an HGI in Columbus to an HGI in Pittsburgh isn’t a Hilton-versus-Hilton thing. It’s a Millcraft Investments (Pittsburgh) versus Indus Hotels (Columbus) thing.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Given the lightning speed this project has been pushed through at my guess is that the additional 170 rooms near the convention center along with the 15-18 month construction window are all entirely driven by the DNC efforts. I wouldn’t expect much, if any, design pushback from the dt commission that would hinder the timeline.

ACsmifth3
    Participant

Seems like all the projects slated for downtown have been underwhelming. Other cities like pittsburgh and cincinnati build buildings taller than 12 stories. Massive projects are underway. Columbus needs to aim higher.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Given the lightning speed this project has been pushed through…

It goes to the DT Commission next week. Hasn’t been pushed through yet. ;)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Miller wrote:</div>
    Given the lightning speed this project has been pushed through…

It goes to the DT Commission next week. Hasn’t been pushed through yet. ;)

Yeah, I was only referring to the planning, land acquisition, design, financing, moniker approval/selection etc. In the past it always seemed like similar projects are announced and mulled over for months and months before anything actually happens.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

While this would be nice to have in time for the convention. I can’t imagine that’s the sole purpose. It doesn’t make any financial sense to plan and build something for a one time event that may happen. Clearly there’s larger demand for the hotel rooms, and since we’re gonna have to live with this building in our city I hope the DT Commission pushes back appropriately.

As far as speed goes I think a lot of it has to do with when things become public. I feel like certain projects have info leak out early in the process and then it seems like the project takes years. Other projects you don’t hear anything about until the end of the process when they’re ready to roll and it seems quick.

Pablo
    Participant

My understanding is that the Downtown Commission was opposed to the design.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

My understanding is that the Downtown Commission was opposed to the design.

Work obligations kept me from attending but was anxious to hear the proposal and results, thanks Pablo! Hopefully this will prompt a more inspired design soon.

Pablo
    Participant

This might also be an issue…

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Ouch, yeah that puts a fly in the ointment

gramarye
    Participant

On the overhanging design and the space under the pillars in the front: is that intended to be the valet/drop-off area? Or is that space under the pillars purely pedestrian?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 81 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!