Our City Online

Messageboard - Food & Drink Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

1/17 Iron Bartender Competition

Home Forums Events Food & Drink Events 1/17 Iron Bartender Competition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Cotters Restaurant is hosting the 2010 Columbus Iron Bartender Competition on January 17 from 6-9pm. Columbus’ best bartenders, representing Black Olive, Hyde Park, M, and Martini Park, will compete head to head to create the ultimate cocktail using a fully stocked bar and the night’s special ingredient in a competition reminiscent of the “Iron Chef” series.

NBC 4’s Monica Day will be the evening’s official emcee. Columbus celebrity judges include WNCI’s Jimmy Jam and (614) Magazine editor David S. Lewis.

Presale tickets are available at Cotters or by calling 614.221.9060. $25 Tickets include complimentary hors d’ouevres, samples of each cocktail, and live music. Proceeds benefit the Mid Ohio Foodbank.

200 W.Nationwide Blvd|Columbus|OH|43215

http://www.cottersdining.com

Tigertree

But when is it?

Tigertree

But when is it?

Tigertree

But when is it?

DavidF
    Participant

???

umm, prob. Jan 17 like it says above.

Tigertree

@DavidF, yeah I was just giving him a hard time for posting three times in a row.

DavidF
    Participant

I know. I was just giving you a hard time for replying three times in a row. It’s all good.

Bear
    Participant

First of all, this is a good thing — thanks, and props, to Cotters for putting it on. Competitions like these benefit the cocktail-loving public, of which I’m a proud (even charter) member.

Can I ask a question, though? I’ve seen a few of these competitions, now, and some of them seem to be for more than bragging rights: winners fly off to national competitions, that sort of thing. (Not sure whether this is one.) And they seem to be competitions among bartenders from a similar list of restaurants… last year’s Columbus Inspired Bartenders Competition included entrants from Hilton Polaris & Easton, Eddie Merlot’s, Mitchell’s Steak House, Ocean Club, Hyde Park, Martini Park, Eleven, Black Olive, and some others.

I can’t say I’ve frequented every place on the list, but even so, I’m just wondering how these bartenders or restaurants are chosen? There seem to be a lot of entrants, and some very good bartenders at some very good (generally, smaller and independent) restaurants don’t seem to be on the list.

Thanks.

drew
    Participant

^^^What Bear said.

I can’t say that the picks are all bad, but you’re undoubtedly throwing some mediocre talent in (what should be) the deep end and you are definitely overlooking some of the top mixologists in town.

I appreciate the effort, but you lose legitimacy when you exclude so much obvious (superior) talent that just happens to reside outside of this small group of restaurants. Why them?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I’ll echo Bear and Drew’s thoughts and say that if you really want to promote to Columbus Underground, you’ve left out at least two CU favourites that would turn out more than a few of us.

Specifically:

Chris Dillman – Currently of Sage, and formerly the designer of the most excellent cocktail menu at Details

CU’s own Shmack – Currently of Nida’s.. Knows her way around some classics and has a pretty creative menu of her own.

There may be others that I’ve overlooked, but for cocktails these two names come up most often.

Tenzo
    Participant

Jack Daniels’ 2010 Columbus Iron Bartender Competition sponsored by Jack Daniels.

Ohhhhh the suspense is killing me
    I wonder what the secret ingrediant will be?

Should we have a pool?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    Jack Daniels’ 2010 Columbus Iron Bartender Competition sponsored by Jack Daniels.
    Ohhhhh the suspense is killing me
    I wonder what the secret ingrediant will be?
    Should we have a pool?

Well, then I suppose it’s for the best Mr. Dillman isn’t a contestant. He hates Jack Daniels passionately.

Bear
    Participant

Too late to edit, but I should have written, it also benefits the Mid-Ohio Foodbank, which is very generous. Which, to Michael’s point, speaks to the desirability of bringing out more people.

Shmack and Chris would be at the top of my list of top mixologists who’d been left off. I might also add Alana Shock (maybe not someone you’d normally think of, but damn her original cocktails are good)… and whoever does the mixology at Surly Girl is pretty inspired too. None of which, I should emphasize, is meant as an insult to any of the entrants.

But personal favorites aside, I’m wondering mainly about the process by which these people (or restaurants) are chosen. The thing’s happening in 11 days, so even if Cotters did clear it with the Jack Daniels rep (that’s funny) to add a couple of additional people, who knows if they’d be available. I’m thinking more down the road… how do these people get invited to these things in the first place? Is eligibility basically a reward for selling a lot of Jack Daniels, or is there something more to it than that?

shmack

Bear, I wonder about that too. Since Cotter’s is owned by the Vito’s Catering folks, is this a multi-establishment event? Who lead organizes this stuff (the venue or the distributor)? And how do I get invited?! (Granted, I’m scheduled to the gills these next couple of months…)

There was also a flair event a couple months ago… but that’s kinda off topic.

Bear
    Participant

shmack wrote >>
    Bear, I wonder about that too. Since Cotter’s is owned by the Vito’s Catering folks, is this a multi-establishment event? Who lead organizes this stuff (the venue or the distributor)? And how do I get invited?! (Granted, I’m scheduled to the gills these next couple of months…)

Something tells me Nida would let you off for a night…. :-)

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    Well, then I suppose it’s for the best Mr. Dillman isn’t a contestant. He hates Jack Daniels passionately.

Well, when life gives you absinthe, make Sazeracs…. ;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Food & Drink Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE