Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

This topic contains 91 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

What I find so disappointing is that there will be another parking garage in the “parking garage district” couldn’t they have done something better to activate the street, maybe two buildings with structured parking or at least first floor retail, or put the development department on the first floor of the parking garage that is the department that will be getting the most pedestrian traffic.

The parking garage will have ground floor retail for at least a portion of the footprint and the facade appears to be screened with glass. From the renderings it looks more like an office building rather than a parking garage, kudos to Schooley. Maybe this will be enough to help re-energize the storefronts across Front & Long that have sat empty for the past 10 years.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

This is a totally missed opportunity with the piece of land. I realize it would have cost more but parking should have been built under the new city building and the flat surface lot been used for mixed use apartments/office. Here’s to hoping something happens to the crumbling garage just west of this at Spring and Marconi.

ohbr
    Participant

Random semi related thought: This whole garage district while it may seem like a complete waste is also a place for an interesting opportunity. I watched a fascinating TedTalk once that said For every 40 parking spaces on the roof of a deck, a greenhouse could be constructed to supply enough food annually for 500 people. Imagine turning the garage district in to an urban agricultural hub. Maybe leasing spaces to residents, restaurants, and keeping a large chunk for local outreach programs. And let’s say those spots were too precious to lose, build on top and the you’d have covered parking on all levels and no need for snow removal. I had often thought the Columbus Commons garage would be a great pilot but now I’d rather see actual office and living space there but any one of these garages would be a great pilot for such a program. An expensive and ‘utopian’ proposition I’m sure, but may be worth a look.

So much opportunity from BWC, AEP, Arena District and City Garages.

Edit: of course this doesn’t exactly ‘activate the streets’ but it would bring some good to the area.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Can you share a link to that Ted talk? That’s really interesting.

ohbr
    Participant

Took a bit of digging but here it is. It’s not all about garages, he talks about starting smaller scale as well. There is a cool shipping container model that would be awesome for the new Mikey’s too. Access to the river could be an asset as well for such a district.

futureman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tonloc620 wrote:</div>
    What I find so disappointing is that there will be another parking garage in the “parking garage district” couldn’t they have done something better to activate the street, maybe two buildings with structured parking or at least first floor retail, or put the development department on the first floor of the parking garage that is the department that will be getting the most pedestrian traffic.

The parking garage will have ground floor retail for at least a portion of the footprint and the facade appears to be screened with glass. From the renderings it looks more like an office building rather than a parking garage, kudos to Schooley. Maybe this will be enough to help re-energize the storefronts across Front & Long that have sat empty for the past 10 years.

According the to CU article there is NO ground floor retail in the parking garage. In the rendering looks like possible office space, but it could be just the lobby for the garage.

loudiamondtabs
    loudiamondtabs
    Participant

Or, we could stop building developments on pristine farmland, and stop trying to turn our urban core into farmland……

Random semi related thought: This whole garage district while it may seem like a complete waste is also a place for an interesting opportunity. I watched a fascinating TedTalk once that said For every 40 parking spaces on the roof of a deck, a greenhouse could be constructed to supply enough food annually for 500 people. Imagine turning the garage district in to an urban agricultural hub. Maybe leasing spaces to residents, restaurants, and keeping a large chunk for local outreach programs. And let’s say those spots were too precious to lose, build on top and the you’d have covered parking on all levels and no need for snow removal. I had often thought the Columbus Commons garage would be a great pilot but now I’d rather see actual office and living space there but any one of these garages would be a great pilot for such a program. An expensive and ‘utopian’ proposition I’m sure, but may be worth a look.

So much opportunity from BWC, AEP, Arena District and City Garages.

Edit: of course this doesn’t exactly ‘activate the streets’ but it would bring some good to the area.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

According the to CU article there is NO ground floor retail in the parking garage. In the rendering looks like possible office space, but it could be just the lobby for the garage.

From the new renderings it looks like the retail space wraps around the stairwell on the SW corner. There was an update last week from @heresthecasey that mentioned the new plan:

Per plans filed with the city this week, the new parking garage at Long and Front will contain 3,000 sqft of ground floor retail space.

ohbr
    Participant

True, but that’s not going to happen. Also, a program such as described is far more efficient and year round compared to fields. (Having a family with a Large farm, I get your point). Crops would be much more diverse than fields of corn and soy etc. More direct and more accessible to the urban core. We might as well take the opportunity if it presents itself as is. it’s a far better use for the surface of parking decks. If not that, start lining them with solar panels. There is a value in parking decks for vehicle purposes, obviously, but Decks are not just a waste at street level, they are a waste at the top end too. Whether it’s mixed use or one of these greener ideas, something could be done to add value to the community. It’s not a proposal to take away urbanism for urban agriculture, it’s an idea to utilize wasted space. I’m not suggesting we take our surface lots and do something like this. Not that it would ever happen but still a decent thought.

Brent Warren
    Brent Warren
    Participant

Posted this in the news comments as well.. Some clarification from Schooley-Caldwell on the retail question – as Dave Bush from the city said, there are no plans for retail, but the corner windows shown in the renderings are for a 3,000 square feet amenity space, which is currently programmed as a bike hub but could support office use in the future.

columbusmike
    Participant

With the amount of new development going in downtown, I think it’s time to revisit the downtown zoning regulations to restrict allowable amount of first floor space dedicated towards parking. I think the market will soon dictate that more retail is needed, but some revised zoning laws will also help detract from valuable street frontage from being taken over by concrete walls and exhaust grills.

MHJ
    Participant

Honestly, I think having a bike hub for employees to bike to work is a great idea for that space.

There’s a lot of vacant retail space downtown. A lot. Spaces on Gay between Front and High, on High between Gay and Broad, not to mention all the vacant spaces on the ground floor of Columbus Commons and across the street from it. Plus there’s nothing in the spaces at the southeast corner of Gay and High, and the former Madison’s building is still vacant.

In other words, there are lots and lots of opportunities to put new retail in, not to mention the new retail that will come on line at the point they redevelop the “micro” apartments on the southeast corner of Front & Long and build something in the parking lots between Long and Gay along High Street.

On the other hand, how much infrastructure is there for people who OWN bikes? And isn’t it a good thing for the city to actually encourage people to bike to work by building a space specifically dedicated to that?

I guess I have a hard time lamenting the fact that the city didn’t put retail on the ground floor because that’s what urban enthusiasts want on the ground floor of every single building. There are other needs for downtown workers and residents besides another sandwich shop or artisanal stationery store.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Spaces on Gay between Front and High…

No there’s not. The one open space was filled earlier this year:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-b-loved-bridal-boutique

There’s also space under construction at Gay & High, if that’s what you’re referring to, but it’s not available for lease yet:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/proposal-calls-for-65-apartments-in-citizens-building-at-gay-and-high-bw1

News
    Participant

Mayor Michael B. Coleman, Council member Priscilla Tyson and other city officials broke ground on the construction of a new city building

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.