Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

This topic contains 91 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

The cold kept me office-bound this morning… Did any CU reps make it to the dtown commission meeting to report back on the plans?

News
    Participant

New City of Columbus Eight-Story Office Building Proposed Downtown
    November 18, 2014 11:51 am – Walker Evans

The veil has been lifted from one of the most secretive development projects in Downtown Columbus today, as the design for a new City of Columbus office building was presented at the monthly Downtown Commission meeting this morning. The presentation includes an eight-story 180,000 square foot office tower design by local architectural firms Schooley Caldwell Associates and DesignGroup. Additionally, local firm MKSK is leading the landscape architecture side of the project.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-city-of-columbus-eight-story-office-building-proposed-downtown

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Wow, disappointed that after all the suspense they basically just reused the county’s Hall of Justice design which is also from Schooley Caldwell. Hopefully that saved some dollars with the efficiency, lol. Even the description of “making a statement about the transparency of government” was recycled from the HoJ.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I guess I’m relieved but not impressed. I would have like to have seen the other options. Something that houses the department of development should be a bit more inspirational in my view, set the standard. Again, not a bad building, but I would have liked to see it break out of the rectangle a little bit.

San Francisco is building a new public utilities commission building that I really like.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Here’s the link with a picture of that SF building http://sfwater.org/modules/showimage.aspx?imageid=1501

heresthecasey
    Participant

IMO, it’s not bad and certainly could be a lot worse. I think it’s miles ahead of the bizarre green glass ‘wrap’ they added recently to the old police HQ. I also like it better than both of its stylistic cousins, the courthouse and the miranova office tower.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

IMO, it’s not bad and certainly could be a lot worse. I think it’s miles ahead of the bizarre green glass ‘wrap’ they added recently to the old police HQ.

Really? I think that it looks just fine.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Yeah, architecturally it’s just not my cup of tea. I am glad they were able to reuse the old building though, and overall the ‘city campus’ will definitely be an improvement for this part of downtown.

Hoping that we hear some news about the proposal across the street moving forward next! ;)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>heresthecasey wrote:</div>
    IMO, it’s not bad and certainly could be a lot worse. I think it’s miles ahead of the bizarre green glass ‘wrap’ they added recently to the old police HQ.

Agreed I like the wrap. It will actually be a bit more on display now with the park they plan to put in.

I also would have liked to have seen them either bury the parking garage under the park, or incorporate it into the tower. Lobby on the first floor, floors 2 to 5 parking and then offices on top. Then your 8 story building becomes 12 and doesn’t require a separate dead garage. You can also build it in such a way that if you need additional office space you can convert the garage floors into offices. That’s what the plan is for the DunnhumbyUSA center in Cincinnati. Plus it’s possible to hide the garage levels well with good design. I think it’s a option they should have considered. A little more height would add to the skyline a bit too.

EuroOkie
    Participant

The police HQ building wrap is a LOT more distinctive than this, which is just a low-budget version of the Cuyahoga County HQ.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Agreed I like the wrap. It will actually be a bit more on display now with the park they plan to put in.

I also would have liked to have seen them either bury the parking garage under the park, or incorporate it into the tower. Lobby on the first floor, floors 2 to 5 parking and then offices on top. Then your 8 story building becomes 12 and doesn’t require a separate dead garage. You can also build it in such a way that if you need additional office space you can convert the garage floors into offices. That’s what the plan is for the DunnhumbyUSA center in Cincinnati. Plus it’s possible to hide the garage levels well with good design. I think it’s a option they should have considered. A little more height would add to the skyline a bit too.

More height would always be welcomed but I think the tradeoff of getting pedestrian traffic is worth the separated garage.
    Edit – The addition of street level retail in the garage building would be even better, which I thought I remembered hearing was something already proposed. Haven’t been able to track down where I read it though.

jbcmh81
    Participant

More height would always be welcomed but I think the tradeoff of getting pedestrian traffic is worth the separated garage.<br>
    Edit – The addition of street level retail in the garage building would be even better, which I thought I remembered hearing was something already proposed. Haven’t been able to track down where I read it though.

From page 4:
    CITY HALL CAMPUS: Finance Committee chair Priscilla R. Tyson is sponsoring ordinance 2190-2014 for professional architectural and engineering consulting services for the new Front and Long Street building.

The building will house, among other City services, the Building and Zoning, Development, and Public Service departments. The ordinance authorizes a contract modification to address changes in the scale, scope and location of the building’s parking garage and will include plans for street retail.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Per plans filed with the city this week, the new parking garage at Long and Front will contain 3,000 sqft of ground floor retail space.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Sounds like everything cleared the DT Commission – a couple new renderings released too:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/04/28/newest-city-of-columbus-office-building-gets-ok.html

city complex

city complex

tonloc620
    Participant

What I find so disappointing is that there will be another parking garage in the “parking garage district” couldn’t they have done something better to activate the street, maybe two buildings with structured parking or at least first floor retail, or put the development department on the first floor of the parking garage that is the department that will be getting the most pedestrian traffic.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.