Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

This topic contains 91 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    I don’t mind teardown so long as there are two factors involved: the building has no historical value and if there are plans for something better to take its place, like something with some more height. Another garage or surface lot for who knows how long is not a step in the right direction, even if the building isn’t all that historical.

Not one thing in that article suggested it would be turned into a garage or parking lot. So calm down. Geez

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Not sure if its set in stone but from the rendering it does look like a parking garage in its place.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=10219.0

wpcc88
    Participant

before you freak people out, this was 2 or 3 pictures down in the same thread

heresthecasey
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    before you freak people out, this was 2 or 3 pictures down in the same thread

https://www.columbusunderground.com/archives/pd_07.jpg

Isn’t that the current condition?

columbusmike
    Participant

The odd thing is that they want to tear it down. The building could easily be renovated. It would be very expensive to tear it down to build a parking garage. Why not keep the building or sell it, and make employees pay for their own parking?

wpcc88
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    Isn’t that the current condition?

the building that is currently there is MUCH smaller, and it shows the renovations as being completed

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like it’s been pretty much prepped for demo. Wonder how soon it will start…

New photo from here:

Construction Roundup: December 2013

ehill27
    Participant

$80M plan for Columbus’ City Hall campus
    By Bill Bush – Columbus Dispatch

Columbus will spend up to $80 million to improve the City Hall campus Downtown under a plan to be announced this week.

A 94-year-old building just north of City Hall will be torn down and replaced with a 135,000-square-foot office building that could rise up to eight stories…

The city also is negotiating to acquire nearby land that could be used for a 600-vehicle parking garage to serve the new building.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/03/16/80m-plan-for-city-hall-campus.html

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I’m guessing the land they are talking about inquiring for a parking garage is just to the north of the building at the corner of Front and Long. Pretty much the last thing we need downtown is another parking garage. Hopefully they will at least incorporate some type of first floor retail..that’s probably not going to happen.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Also tear down another 100 year old building??! Applauds Columbus applauds!

heresthecasey
    Participant

Pretty much the last thing we need downtown is another parking garage. Hopefully they will at least incorporate some type of first floor retail..that’s probably not going to happen.

+1

I thought the city specifically acquired the existing parking garage on Front St to avoid building a new one. Or if more spaces are required, an underground garage on the site of the current parking lot (future greenspace) would seem reasonable.

Front Street is already parking garage central, and based on past performance (RiverSouth), I don’t have any confidence in the city whatsoever to get the design of a new one right urbanistically.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Also tear down another 100 year old building??! Applauds Columbus applauds!

Tearing down buildings for parking lots = bad.

Tearing down a four-story building to replace it with an eight-story building = also bad?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Tearing down buildings for parking lots = bad.

Tearing down a four-story building to replace it with an eight-story building = also bad?

#Logic

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

It doesn’t matter the height of the building it just seems like this city wants to tear down and start over so quickly. Do we really need the green space they are planning for the project? How about the land they are building the parking garage on? I’m no expert but the building seems pretty structural sound.

I’m also totally against the new Parking garage being built when the project could probably hold at least 4 or 5 stories of parking underneath.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I get that demolition isn’t something we want to see in mass quantities, but I personally think it’s acceptable when the replacement is of higher and denser use. Especially in the core of Downtown.

Does Columbus have any parking garages 4-5 stories deep into the ground? I imagine it would get pretty expensive to dig that deep, as modern underground garages require costly ventilation systems, emergency pumping systems (for flooding) and other types of things.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.