Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development New Eight-Story City of Columbus Office Building

This topic contains 91 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/14/city-wants-to-consolidate-offices.html

I hope something goes in its place soon and not a parking garage..Front is starting to become lined with garages. Its a shame this building has to come down.

heresthecasey
    Participant

They’re going to rebuild: “eventually.” Yeah, right.

The city takes one step forward, and two steps back.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stephen43215 said:
    I hope something goes in its place soon and not a parking garage.

From the article…

The long-term plan is to rebuild at the 109 N. Front location and eventually sell the Beacon Building, Bush said.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

heresthecasey said:
    The city takes one step forward, and two steps back.

If the new building is taller, would that be a step backward?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Disgusted, the top half of the light pole is flying away.

Pablo
    Participant

Every so often I need to attend meetings in this building. It’s a hideous rabbit warren of offices. The only nice feature is the old gas company board room on the top floor with wood paneling.

jbcmh81
    Participant

It’s always annoying to see a teardown with no formal plans to do anything with the site after demolition. I wonder how many surface lots exist now because there were vague “future plans” to redevelop.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Walker said:

The problem is that we are losing another building downtown to a surface lot without knowing what, if anything is ever going to replace it, or when. It may be taller, it may not be. It may end up never getting built at all.

Jbcmh81 is right that this is how many other now-permanent surface lots in downtown came about.

Once a building is gone, it’s gone. Opening up another hole in our downtown based on vague plans to replace it with “something” further down the road is a bad idea.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I remember seeing a rendering with a parking garage in the place of this building..if so there will be 5 parking garages along Front street within a 3 block stretch.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Condo/apartment conversion? Its 1 block from the river and bike paths and a short walking distance to Scioto Mile and Arena District. Im thinking the city could make some major bucks on this if it was sold.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

heresthecasey said:
    The problem is that we are losing another building downtown to a surface lot…

I didn’t see in the article where it said that it was going to become a parking lot. Where did it say that?

The article does make mention of the fact that the existing surface parking lot at the NW corner of Gay & Front will be converted eventually to green space:

Once all construction is completed, Bush said, the parking lot at the northwest corner of W. Gay and N. Front streets will be converted to green space.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Stephen43215 said:
    Condo/apartment conversion?

Doubtful. Will probably remain owned by the City of Columbus and be used for administrative offices.

columbusmike
    Participant

Weird. That seems to be a nice building – I’m puzzled why they couldn’t renovate the interior?

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

Walker said:

If the new building is taller, you’ve got my vote. haha.

jbcmh81
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    The problem is that we are losing another building downtown to a surface lot without knowing what, if anything is ever going to replace it, or when. It may be taller, it may not be. It may end up never getting built at all.

Jbcmh81 is right that this is how many other now-permanent surface lots in downtown came about.

Once a building is gone, it’s gone. Opening up another hole in our downtown based on vague plans to replace it with “something” further down the road is a bad idea.

I don’t mind teardown so long as there are two factors involved: the building has no historical value and if there are plans for something better to take its place, like something with some more height. Another garage or surface lot for who knows how long is not a step in the right direction, even if the building isn’t all that historical.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.