Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

100 Things Restaurant Staffers Should Not Do

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining 100 Things Restaurant Staffers Should Not Do

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

4) made their toddler try to tell me what they want. But the kid doesn’t know, can’t read, and can barely speak… so I have to stand there for five minutes with a goofy grin on my face just trying to get the order, all because Mom told the kid, “Tell the man what you want, Tommy.” Tommy always wanted chocolate milk, by the way, and dessert. Neither of which Mom would allow, so Tommy would throw a hissy-fit and Mom would give up and order mac & cheese for him.

That would make me kill someone.

osulew wrote >>

4) made their toddler try to tell me what they want. But the kid doesn’t know, can’t read, and can barely speak… so I have to stand there for five minutes with a goofy grin on my face just trying to get the order, all because Mom told the kid, “Tell the man what you want, Tommy.” Tommy always wanted chocolate milk, by the way, and dessert. Neither of which Mom would allow, so Tommy would throw a hissy-fit and Mom would give up and order mac & cheese for him.

That would make me kill someone.

It’s totally true, and is a bit frustrating. Conversely, I also hate it when parents don’t let their kids have a voice. I don’t mean toddlers, but kids. They know what they want, and should learn how to ask for it without mom/dad stepping in.

My diner pet-peeve is inattentiveness, namely failure to read the menu/ask important questions. The restaurant staff truly wants each guest to be happy, but some cooperation is required.

HeySquare
    Participant

unejoliefille wrote >>
    My diner pet-peeve is inattentiveness, namely failure to read the menu/ask important questions. The restaurant staff truly wants each guest to be happy, but some cooperation is required.

“Oh… I didn’t know the Coconut Shrimp was battered in coconut.”

Aunt Madge

What I really hate is when you order a drink, an appetizer, a soup/salad, a main course, and a warm desert, and they serve it all exactly as the same time!!!! Totally annoying. And then they have the nerve to give me attitude when I ask them to go ahead and take the appetizer back. They ask me why? And I simply say, “I ordered the appetizer to have it while the meal was being prepared, the meal being here makes having an appetizer a bit unecessary.” Then I have to explain to them what a dessert is for and when it should be properly served … it doesn’t matter where one goes any more, people no longer seem to have any sense whatsoever of common serving etiquette.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

The one thing missing on this sometimes correct, but mostly petty and stupid list, is one of my pet peeves when I go out to dinner: restaurant staffers should stand and wait for the guest to pass. I do this all the time and now do it instinctively. I hate it when I’m dining in a restaurant and am plowed over by a server.

That being said, I have the utmost respect for men who insist I go ahead of them, because they are MEN, and I am a lady, and they would never let me stand by while they walked ahead of me. That is pure class.

TaraK
    Participant

Dear World, your kid is adorable — to you. Not me. It’s not my kid. I’m glad you love it; I don’t. Don’t ask me to applaud/gasp/coo at its antics.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Sometimes I request getting my dessert with my meal. :)
    Sometimes I want to eat it first. Or alongside my meal. haha.
    And sometimes I know our kid probably will not last that long, so I want to get it and be able to eat it before we need to leave.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

Anne wrote >>
    Sometimes I request getting my dessert with my meal. :)
    Sometimes I want to eat it first. Or alongside my meal. haha.
    And sometimes I know our kid probably will not last that long, so I want to get it and be able to eat it before we need to leave.

I’ve waited on the same guy at numerous restaurants who always orders at least one dessert to come out with the appetizers. Very smart because you taste more at the beginning of the meal.

As someone with kids, do you appreciate when the child’s meal comes as soon as possible? I remember being a child and getting so mad when the adults got a salad and i had to sit and wait for my meal. I was always hungry as a child and never have been one with tons of patience. So when I have kids in my section, I usually try to get their food out as soon as possible, because it seems easier to occupy them after they’ve eaten and lots of times they just pass out after eating and it gives the adults a longer time to relax.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I usually bring little things for him to snack on until we have our meal, so it’s not really an issue. Or give him croutons or bites of soup.
    One time we were at Sage though and our waitress made a special little bowl of fruit for him. That was really nice and very appreciated.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Nearly ninety percent of the list does not bug me as I am the cook and the clean up person in my house which means that when people ask me what meal is my favorite I reply ” The one that someone else cooks and cleans for me” However number 64 resonated in that I dont care how awesome a special sounds I dont order it unless you tell me the price, especially after paying 40 bucks for one particularly awesome sounding special.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

derm wrote >>
    Nearly ninety percent of the list does not bug me as I am the cook and the clean up person in my house which means that when people ask me what meal is my favorite I reply ” The one that someone else cooks and cleans for me” However number 64 resonated in that I dont care how awesome a special sounds I dont order it unless you tell me the price, especially after paying 40 bucks for one particularly awesome sounding special.

It has been my policy in the past to only quote the price if it is significantly more expensive than other things on the menu; however I suppose I should start telling the price!

JimSweeney
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I have the utmost respect for men who insist I go ahead of them, because they are MEN, and I am a lady, and they would never let me stand by while they walked ahead of me. That is pure class.

really? chivalry? do women still want that? cause i thought we were going for more of an equality thing these days.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

JimSweeney wrote >>

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    I have the utmost respect for men who insist I go ahead of them, because they are MEN, and I am a lady, and they would never let me stand by while they walked ahead of me. That is pure class.

really? chivalry? do women still want that? cause i thought we were going for more of an equality thing these days.

It’s that double standard thing…

JimSweeney
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote >>

JimSweeney wrote >>

lisathewaitress wrote >>

It’s that double standard thing…

Hey! MEN ought not discuss this sort of thing in front of ladies! Not if we want to be classy!

Cookie

Last night a restaurant staffer said to me, “All by yourself tonight?” When I said yes, she made a sad face and said, “Awwwwww.”

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 171 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: