The old steel plant that has been both a long-time neighbor and provider for generations on the city’s south side will be torn down in late March and several long-time employees will share their memories of the plant and of their co-workers. The company’s lineage can be traced back to the Murray-Hayden foundry that produced malleable iron products in a downtown building beginning in 1881, but it got its start west of Parsons Avenue in 1899 when Wilbur Godspeed and T.P. Linn purchased thirty acres for the construction of a modern steel plant. By 1902, the plant was producing steel, which it did in various forms until its successor Columbus Castings closed in August, 2016. The plant had eight hundred employees when it closed, but its workforce exceeded 2,000 in the 1950s. The event will be held at the auditorium of the Columbus Metropolitan Library, 96 South Grant Avenue.
The event is free, but registration is required as space is limited.
Columbus Underground serves millions of readers across Columbus and Central Ohio. Founded in 2001, our forward-thinking, editorial news platform grants readers 24/7 online access to current events and happenings in their ever-changing city.
All content copyright ColumbusUnderground.com unless otherwise credited.
URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020
This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!