Craft Beer and Short Films Come Together at Suds & Cinema Fest
For a lot of us, movies and beer are a magical pairing. Filmmaker Nic White wants to share that magic through the CinemaSlice Suds & Cinema Film Festival.
White and his Cinema Slice team bring the program of short and micro-short films to Grove City’s HopYard 62 on Saturday, March 9, from 8-10 p.m. What could be better?
“It’s a free event,” says White.
“Suds & Cinema is a combination of two of my favorite things: short films and craft beer,” he says. “Festivals can be kind of dry, but I thought that it would be exciting to do it at a brewery. People can enjoy some beer and watch some exciting short films.”
White says the event should run two hours, screening roughly 20 films ranging in length from one to about 15 minutes. Films cross all genres, with submissions from Ohio and across the U.S. Along with submitted content, White plans to screen films produced by CinemaSlice.
“CinemaSlice is a loose knit collection of creative collaborators,” he says. “The intent of CinemaSlice is to do two things. One is to support independent cinema. The other is to encourage collaboration. So we want CinemaSlice to be a platform for our own original content as well as a platform for other independent cinema that fits under the umbrella.”
With that in mind, White has scheduled two film blocks. The first consists primarily of submitted content, while the second contains mainly CinemaSlice material interspersed with submitted micro-films.
“The idea is to have two hours of short films that are exciting,” he says.
The event will also recognize filmmakers, offering awards for best film/director, actor, actress, cinematography and viewer’s choice.
For those who can’t make it to HopYard 62, the fest’s entire lineup will screen online for free at festivault.tv.
“It’s a really fun event and it should be a good Saturday night,” White says. “Support the arts.”
The festival’s full lineup:
Short film showcase A (Submitted Shorts)
- Static – Horror – Wayneville, OH
- Not from Around Here – Thriller – Jake Barry – Grove City, OH
- Fear, Itself – Thriller – Alex Caperton – Columbus, OH
- The Chair – Comedy – Zebulon Griffin – Hilliard, OH
- Clown vs Corn 4 – Gold Malt Liquor – MCR Electric Otto – Detroit, MI
- The Pizza Guy – Comedy/Thriller – Naim David – Columbus, OH
- The…ال… – Horror – Diaa Bahaa – Egypt
- Subject – Sci-Fi – August Aguilar – Knoxville, TN
- Alive – Horror – Naim David – Columbus, OH
- Strike It – Action/Heist – Tom Dallis – Dayton, OH
- Haunted House – Ghost/Comedy – Michael DeSanto – Toledo, OH
Short film showcase B (CinemaSlice Shorts)
- Par-a-site – Horror
- CUT – Horror/Thriller
- Whiskey Chips – Comedy
- Golden Dong – Kung Fu Comedy
- READ A BOOK – Horror
- Blood on the Lens – Horror/Comedy
- Retribution – Action
For more information, visit cinemaslice.com/Suds.