Bites & Sips: Reopenings Continue, Picnics, El Vaquero Expands & More
Planning a Dublin picnic? Has your favorite restaurant reopened? Bites & Sips provides tidbits of news and updates from the world of drinking and dining in Central Ohio.
Restaurant Reopenings Continue
While many restaurants reopened their doors as soon as possible in mid- to late-May, others held off and continued to focus on carryout or kept their doors closed for a few extra weeks. More than a month after patios were first officially allowed to welcome back guests, more restaurant reopenings are trickling in. A brief rundown:
- Cameron Mitchell Restaurants – Lincoln Social Rooftop reopened June 17 with limited evening hours Wednesday to Sunday.; Del Mar SoCal Kitchen and The Guild House will reopen on June 23 for dinner Tuesday through Sunday and weekend brunch Saturday and Sunday; Martini Modern Italian will reopen for dinner Monday to Saturday. Reservations are strongly encouraged.
- SOW Plated – Upper Arlington’s SOW Plated will reopen June 18 with a new menu and adjusted temporary hours (Monday to Thursday 12-8 p.m.; Friday and Saturday 12-9 p.m.).
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing – Downtown brewery Wolf’s Ridge will reopen its dining room on June 18 for dinner service Thursday to Saturday from 5 – 10 p.m. and brunch Saturday and Sunday from 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. Reservations are required.
- Roosevelt Coffeehouse – Both locations of The Roosevelt Coffeehouse (Franklinton and Downtown) opened for inside, sit-down experiences on June 15. The coffee shops are open daily from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Pins Mechanical Co. & 16-Bit – Dublin’s 16-Bit and Downtown’s Pins Mechanical Co. started rolling again on June 12. Dublin’s Pins location reopened on June 3. 16-Bit Downtown reopened on June 17.
These are just some of the spots that have recently reopened. As the situation continues to evolve, always check individual restaurant’s social media pages or websites for the most up-to-date information.
El Vaquero Opens New Location in Dublin
El Vaquero is opening its second location in the Dublin area. The new restaurant at 6549 Perimeter Dr. officially opens today, Thursday, June 18. It’s the 11th Central Ohio location for the Mexican restaurant.
El Vaquero will be open for dine-in, carryout and delivery. Hours are Monday to Thursday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Friday and Saturday 11 a.m. – 10:30 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. – 9:30 p.m.
For more information, visit vaquerorestaurant.com.
Velvet Ice Cream Expands Across the Region
Fourth-generation, family-owned ice cream maker Velvet Ice Cream is growing into a regional brand. Thanks to an industry-wide spike in retail sales and consumption of ice cream and dairy products, the Utica-based brand is sharing its ice creams, sherberts and novelty products with more stores across Indiana, Kentucky and West Virginia.
Feeding a quarantine demand, Velvet has seen its sales rise 40-50% during the coronavirus pandemic.
For more information, visit velveticecream.com.
Dublin Picnic Packs
The Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau (DCVB) is making it easy to plan a picnic. The organization has teamed up with 25 Dublin-area restaurants to get their top “picnic picks” from their menus. With to-go eats in hand, picnic-goers are encouraged to dine al fresco at one of the city’s various spots for outdoor dining.
Find a map of restaurants & outdoor dining spots and more information at visitdublinohio.com/picnic-packs.
Platform Beer Co. Celebrates 6 Years
Platform Beer Co. will celebrate six years with some unique beer mash-ups. Marking six years since they opened their first taproom in Clevleand, the brewery will commemorate the event with a new mixed 6-pack of sour beers. They called on the help of dessert makers across the state to come up with the unique flavors.
The 6-pack includes two 12oz. cans of each flavor: Key Lime Cookie Dough (inspired by Cleveland Cookie Dough – Cleveland) 5.6% ABV, Pink Lemonade Cake (inspired by BonBonerie – Cincinnati) 5.4% ABV, and Blueberry Creampuff (inspired by Schmidt’s – Columbus) 8.5% ABV.
Desserts and beer will be flowing at Platform’s three taproom locations (Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati) starting at 3 p.m. on June 19. The first 100 guests to arrive at the Columbus taproom, 408 N. Sixth St., can score a free mini blueberry creampuff from Schmidt’s.
For more information, visit platformbeer.co.