Zauber Brewing Co. Launching in 2012

Walker Evans Walker Evans Zauber Brewing Co. Launching in 2012

2012 is going to be a big year for beer in Columbus. We’ve already learned about Hoof Hearted and Born Brewing, and today we’re sharing a new Q&A with Geoff Towne, founder of Zauber Brewing Company. Zauber plans to launch their locally brewed beer within the next two months here in Columbus. Find out more, below:

Q: What type of beers will Zauber be producing?

A: Zauber is interested in exploring many categories of beer not easily found in Columbus, primarily Continental European styles. Our method is to look at a small selection of styles and their respective branches… i.e., Belgians, Session Beers, Hefeweizens, etc. How we ‘harvest our enthusiasm’ will depend on customer feedback. Choosing a German name (Zauber means ‘magical’ or ‘enchanting’) hints at our start.

Q: Are there any specific types of beer that will be considered your specialties?

A: I’m not going to limit myself and say only German beers or IPA’s. Any good brewer worth their salt can make any type of beer, but to do it well one usually has a passion for a particular type or style. My vision starts with a good lineup of everyday well balanced beers and the goal is to ‘stand on the shoulders of those giants and see further’.

Q: Where will customers be able to find your products?

A: During our first phase, as our initial volume permits, we will be selling primarily in kegs to local neighborhood restaurants, with a couple of outliers in the suburbs. Elizabeth Lessner’s Columbus Food League, Woodlands Tavern and Village Idiot are committed to carrying our beer, just to name a few. We will keep an updated map of our outlets on our website.

Q: When will Zauber be officially launching?

A: We hope to finally launch in January or February as we pass the last few bureaucratic hurtles. The brewing process takes about a month to make a batch of beer, so as soon as we have clearance we are off and running. We are planning a handful of launch parties and events to kick off our release.

Q: Anything else that our beer drinking readers should know about?

A: Our goal at Zauber Brewing is to produce unique beer. This will not only be some of the best and most extrinsic brews you’ve ever tasted but it’ll be made right here in Columbus.

CLICK HERE to read more about the business behind this new brewery at TheMetropreneur.com.

More information can be found online at zbeers.com.

7 Responses to Zauber Brewing Co. Launching in 2012

1. 0Angle December 17, 2011 5:15 pm at 5:15 pm

Welcome Zauber!  I said it before, but I AM looking forward to a bigger line-up at the North Market Microbrew Festival & everywhere in Columbus.

Walker December 17, 2011 6:11 pm at 6:11 pm

I’m not really a beer drinker myself, but excited for more local options and more local businesses. I wonder if there are any existing programs, or something that could easily be created to help these types of business expand production and navigate the legal systems for sales in other states. As great as it is to see the local small business economy thrive, it would be even better to see Ohio exports grow through these types of ventures.

3. z brewery guy December 18, 2011 3:10 pm at 3:10 pm

I am a confessed ‘cross-drinker’ who prefers beer, ’cause it’s such a broad and exciting category of beverage.

I wouldn’t underestimate being ‘provencial’ and good.  Many of our regional businesses have done very well for themselves being relivant to Columbus and Ohio first as a business strategy, bringing much needed attention to our amazing, fast growing city.  I can’t tell you how many times I have brought friends & colleagues to town and have had them request to go to Jenni’s Ice Cream, Schmidt’s Sausage Haus, etc.

4. 0Angle December 21, 2011 8:27 am at 8:27 am

While there are plenty of breweries that successfully distribute regionally or nationally, there is something to be said for local beer, just like local anything.  Beer is an agricultural product, and as such is usually at it’s best fresh and ideally unpackaged for travel.
    Having said that, who woulda thought that a tiny ice cream shop would find success shipping nationally?

5. patient_zero
    patient_zero December 21, 2011 4:24 pm at 4:24 pm

For the record Zauber Brewing, I’m German-Hungarian, I love beer (especially local beer), AND I’m available for customer feedback.   :]

@OAngle – I love your fresh agricultural products. Columbus is that much more of an enjoyable place because of your beer.

Walker December 23, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am

7. 0Angle March 21, 2012 10:33 am at 10:33 am

Stopped by Zauber to say hi yesterday, but couldn’t get my stupid/smart phone to give me their phone # and nobody would answer the door(s). Nondescript building w/glass block windows made for no visual confirmation that there is beer being brewed, but the only car parked outside had an Avery sticker on the dash. I don’t give up that easy. I’ll be back. I want to try to get all the brewers together as much as possible.