Art

Young Art Collectors – Andrew Miller

Anne Evans Anne Evans Young Art Collectors – Andrew Miller

Andrew Miller, Art Collector

As a young adult, Andrew Miller loved going to concerts. He loved supporting local music and its musicians. But as he got older and had a child he wanted to find a new way to support the arts. “I wanted to support the arts in some way, shape or form,” said Andrew. So, he transferred his concert money to buying art from local artists.

He saw many concerts in the old Little Brothers space. When it was being sold and the fixtures being liquidated, he made his first bigger art purchase, Art Peace by Paul Volker. It was a piece painted on a bed sheet, originally for display at Comfest, before it adorned the walls at Little Brothers.

Andrew doesn’t have an unlimited budget for art purchases, but he makes it a priority to support the scene by being an active buyer. He finds it helpful to attend events with a budget in mind.

“People should really buy art from local artists and galleries,” he said. “There is no reason to buy commercial art when you can just as easily go to events or galleries to support.”

Supporting the people in our own community doing the creative things that makes the community where we want to live is important to him. “We’re all trying to do what we can to make the community what we want,” he said.

Robot Tiles by Spalding Studio. Purchased at the Upper Arlington Labor Day Arts Sale.

Artwork (left and top right) by Adam Brouillette. "Swallow" mixed-media 6"x6" by Katey Barrett.

Artwork by Andrew Miller.

"Are You Absolutely, Positively, and Wholeheartedly Ready to Publish Your Novel?" Poster in white and burgundy, left. All proceeds used to support 826national.org's writing programs for students, ages 6-18. "Kitchen Conversions" Poster by Whimsy & Spice.

"Trees with Streams" Woodblock print by Diane Babcock, left. Bicycle print, right, purchased at Renegade Craft Fair.

Painting by Andrew Miller, left. "World Map Aqua" by These Are Things, top right. 20"x30" silkscreen. "Magic Carpet" by Tugboat Printshop, bottom right.

"Art Peace" by Paul Voker.

Andrew enjoys taking his daughter to many of the art-centric events in Columbus. They enjoy the events at Junctionview such as Por Vida, and he thinks they are very accessible to everyone and there is room for more events in Columbus. Buying from the artists themselves allows you to communicate directly with them. He spends time doing art projects with his daughter and she has shown an interest in art as well. Her bedroom has a few collections of prints by Adam Brouillette and Jason K Burke. Many of her projects and designs hang on her walls.

"Cute Critters Collection" by Jason K Burke

Work by Adam Brouillette, left. VE 1/4 by Bailey Ruhler, right.

"Cool and Contemplative" by Wallace Peck, Open Door Art Studio.

"Golden Burst Print, 2010" by Maggy O'Reilly VanOrder, left. "Original Bird Bike, Yellow" by Methane Studios, right.

Pieces from Laura Alexander's What the Rock?! series.

In addition to teaching his daughter an appreciate for art, Andrew works on some of his own art projects. He does paintings, builds furniture and writes. His short story, Broken, was published in Across Town: Stories of Columbus, a collection of stories presented by the Columbus Creative Cooperative.

Much of his art collection reflects his own interests. He loves typography, maps, woodblock prints and is interested in getting more paintings.

"Columbus Neighborhoods Map" by These Are Things, left. 18"x24" lithograph. WOSU's Columbus Neighborhoods poster, right.

Urbanized Documentary Print by Gary Hustwit, left. Chicago Neighborhood Poster, Spicy Red, 24"x36" by Ork Posters, center. "A NOJVA SERTANEJA" Wood Block Print by Jose Francisco Borges, right.

Needlework done by Andrew's Grandmother.

Collection of Personal Photos along the stairs.

“I would be plenty happy to have my walls covered in art,” he shared.

Artists:

These Are Things – Jen Adrion & Omary Noory

Tugboat Printshop

Hazel Varannese

Paul Volker

Whimsey & Spice

WOSU Public Media – Columbus Neighborhoods

Do you have an art collection you would like to share? Please contact me at Anne@columbusunderground.com.

14 Responses to Young Art Collectors – Andrew Miller

1. Coreroc
    Coreroc January 9, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm

Impressive collection!

2. topherburk January 9, 2012 1:11 pm at 1:11 pm

Nice collection Andrew! If you’re looking to add any new artists then please check out my website.

3. chivespa1 January 9, 2012 1:48 pm at 1:48 pm

Thanks! I want to stress that I don’t have a big budget for buying art (think pinching pennies) but even still was able to scrape this collection together. Instead of spending $50 on a framed Monet print or generic Ikea mass produced piece you could’ve bought almost any one (or maybe two) of the pieces in my collection. I use el-cheapo frames because I want to enjoy the art right away. Someday I’ll invest in frames that actually protect the art from UV or whatever but I don’t see the point in avoiding art just because you don’t think you can find the “right” frame – that’s silly.

Also, here are some missing links to a couple of the local artists: Michelle Maguire: http://www.myohmyoh.com/
    Paul Volker: http://www.volkerworld.com/

4. leftovers January 9, 2012 3:53 pm at 3:53 pm

nice collection!

5. jmathews5
    jmathews5 January 9, 2012 5:02 pm at 5:02 pm

Great article, Andrew!!!  YOU ROCK!!  LOVE all your art you’ve framed.  What a creative way to educate your daughter, too :)  She’ll definitely grow up being a lover of locavore values b/c of you :)

6. dsigner January 9, 2012 5:28 pm at 5:28 pm

Open Door Art Studio is a really great place to pick up some really inexpensive, dynamic work and you can feel good about it. They just moved into new space in Grandview Heights that is a great showcase for the artists. Oh and another thing about buying local is that the art becomes a way to chart time – I know not just where I bought a piece but when and its telling about where I was in my life at the time. Looking back at it tells the story of my life.

7. Snarf
    Snarf January 10, 2012 11:04 am at 11:04 am

nice article. put a bird on it.

8. patient_zero
    patient_zero January 11, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm

I purchased two Doug Spalding robot tiles at the Columbus Arts Festival last year,  “Obey” and “Submit”. His whimsical pieces appealed to my inner child. While I was talking to him as he was packing me tiles, a red horned devil nightlight caught my eye.  I kept thinking of that bullet shaped,  12″ tall piece of ceramic.
    When I called him at his Michigan studio a few days later and told him I had to have el diablo,  he laughed, and was happy to take my credit card number,  and ship it to me in Columbus.
    Lesson? When you find a unique piece of art you really like – buy it before someone else does.

9. Mary Moon January 11, 2012 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm

I think there is a piece of artwork missing.
    Shouldn’t there be some crayon scribbles on a coloring book page hanging somewhere ?

10. chivespa1 January 12, 2012 2:41 pm at 2:41 pm

Mary- There are tons of those, and many of them are now hanging on the stairwall opposite the photo wall, along with a few framed “paintings” :)

11. chivespa1 January 16, 2012 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm

Thanks to this article I connected with Chris Mohler and am very pleased to now have added some of his work to my collection as well! If you haven’t checked out some of his sculptures I’d highly recommend setting aside some time to contact him and check out what he’s been up to at his studio or get some addresses from him of his many publicly displayed pieces around town.

12. yaysockpuppet
    yaysockpuppet January 17, 2012 4:23 pm at 4:23 pm

EXCELLENT article Anne, and Andrew Miller, I just LOVE what you do!  You rule!  I work with Wallace Peck, and I agree that his work is AMAAAAZING!  If anyone goes to the main library now until Feb. 19th, stop by the Carnegie Gallery to see some awesome Open Door work and a huge, BEAUTIFUL Wallace piece!

13. Lisa Lisa Lisa February 17, 2012 2:22 pm at 2:22 pm

I keep coming back to this article as inspiration. I hope to see more like it in the future!

Walker February 18, 2012 9:08 pm at 9:08 pm

Thanks Lisa! This is the second in the series, with more on the way!

art categories