Want to Help bonoPIZZA Move Into a New Location?

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Last weekend bonoPIZZA made their return with an outdoor parking-lot setup in front of the old Cowtown Pizza location. Due to the overwhelming response, Bill & Peggy Yerkes are looking to expedite the process in which they’re going to be moving back into a more permanent indoor venue. Bill notified us earlier today that they’ve found a great spot in the Grandview-Area that features loads of free parking, patio seating, and indoor seating space for 30-40 people. The only catch is that they’ve only got around 80% of the funds ready to get the location secured and opened, and are currently around $5,000 short.

Always the non-traditionalist, Bill has put together a proposal for his loyal customers to help raise the extra cash quickly. He calls it the “bonoPIZZA Pay it Forward Plan”.

Effective immediately, bonoPIZZA will begin selling half-price gift certificates in $100 and $200 increments. The $100 gift certificate will cost $50, and the $200 gift certificate will cost $100, making it a great deal for anyone planning on dining at bono in the future. The goal is to sell approximately 75 of these certificates to cover the cost of raising the additional $5,000.

Once the $5,000 mark is reached, certificates will no longer be sold, so quantities are very limited.

Bill stated that the certificates issued will be individually numbered with each contributor’s name labeled as a “bono savior”. If the $5,000 amount is not reached, all checks and payments will be returned in full, and Bill said that a “WTF, We Tried” certificate will still be issued to all who gave it a shot.

To place an order you can reach Bill via phone at 614-441-2880, or send a check to:

Bill Yerkes
1724 Northwest Blvd
Columbus, Ohio 43212

Update: Effective Friday April 24th, bonoPIZZA will be setting up the mobile pizza oven outside their new location on Ida Avenue behind the Giant Eagle near Grandview. They will be there both on Friday and Saturday evenings from 5pm-10pm for the next few weeks until construction is completed inside the new store.

51 Responses to Want to Help bonoPIZZA Move Into a New Location?

1. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall April 20, 2009 8:50 pm at 8:50 pm

Excellent idea. Brilliant.

A check heading out tomorrow.

Maybe some w/ the capability could set up a Paypal or other electronic means?

A.

Walker April 20, 2009 8:53 pm at 8:53 pm

I thought about that, but paypal does have processing fees, so it could make the return policy more of a challenge if the goal isn’t met.

Time to dust off the checkbook! ;)

3. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall April 20, 2009 9:01 pm at 9:01 pm

There is a website called Tipping Point or something like that takes pledges and doesn’t pull the trigger until the goal is met.

A.

4. XLD April 20, 2009 9:07 pm at 9:07 pm

Screw all that.  I was going to buy a condo, but investing in Bill seems at least as sound as real estate right now.  I should just cut this short and write a check for 5K and be done with it.

Sorry guys.

5. senile delinquent April 20, 2009 9:09 pm at 9:09 pm

thank you so much for responding so quickly. We have a very tiny window to pull this off, 7 days to be exact. So, you’ll all either get your beautiful colorful “bono savior” or the “WTF, we tried” certificate (suitable for framing..well, maybe) and your bonocard within a few days. I appreciate any help we get, but to be honest a checl/mo made out to bill yerkes would greatly expedite this situation. Our concern is that a certain, cardboard-pizza-like chain has the option to rent the space if we aren’t onboard with a signed lease by 28 April. Again, thank you all for your wonderful support. Bill & Peggy Yerkes

6. catnfiddle April 20, 2009 9:12 pm at 9:12 pm

This would be a local business to us, not to mention a smart way to invest our dining money.  I’ll double check with Rockmastermike, but I’d love to be able to truck over there with a check tomorrow.

7. Bear
    Bear April 20, 2009 9:47 pm at 9:47 pm

Goddamn. Is there a limit?

8. CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand April 20, 2009 9:57 pm at 9:57 pm

How much could it cost to call the new place RoRo to Go Pizza after Roland?  I’d chip in a bit more for that.

So for $5000 – you could get $10,000 in Bono Pizza….that is enough to buy the soul of a young lad we know in Victorian Village.

9. Roland April 20, 2009 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm

I’m gonna work my bono mojo… and see what happens!

Jim, you’re always cracking me up :)

10. TheOtherZach
    TheOtherZach April 20, 2009 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm

Writing check now…

11. drew
    drew April 20, 2009 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm

I’m in…

12. Thory
    Thory April 21, 2009 12:30 am at 12:30 am

Check is ready to go.  This is a really good idea.

13. NerosNeptune April 21, 2009 2:24 am at 2:24 am

Is that an address that someone could go to to buy in person or should things just be mailed?

14. senile delinquent April 21, 2009 8:09 am at 8:09 am

hi, thank you all for your replies and assistance. For the record, that is my address. The future (I hope) bonopizza is going to be about a half mile from here. thank you all, bill yerkes

15. joev
    joev April 21, 2009 8:31 am at 8:31 am

I’m going to be the probable lone dissenter here: from everything I’ve seen and heard, BonoTogo was a huge success last summer, and gets sold out at all the other spots it sets up temporarily. Bono has a great product – delicious pizza.  Why aren’t they able get their finances in order, then? It seems like a lot of crumbier restaurants (Black Olive, anyone?) are able to stay solvent and in one place a lot longer without nearly as many customers. Maybe they need to charge more?

16. drew
    drew April 21, 2009 9:13 am at 9:13 am

Joev – What’s to be a dissenter about?  Either you think the risk is worth the 100% return on investment, or you don’t.

And, if you don’t I suppose that’s fine, but your reasoning is ridiculous.  Black Olive’s owner is independently wealthy and has several other revenue generating restaurants in the area.  And, of course, we all know how eager banks are to lend as of late.

17. gramarye
    gramarye April 21, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am

Hehehe.  Bill and Peggy are too generous.  The original issue discount on these probably didn’t need to be any more than 20 or 30 cents on the dollar to raise that much capital.  At 50 cents, these things could have value on the secondary market.  (I have an image of a scalper standing out front of bono’s new location selling off these things at a 50% markup.)  Then again, I understand that they’re operating under time pressure, that paying for capital in pizza allows for part of the OID to be reduced by the markup on the raw materials (they produce at production costs but pay off the gift certificates at retail value), and that of course it’s a much more customer-friendly way of doing business.  But I still can’t stop the capitalist gears in the back of my head from turning. :-)

18. columbusfoodie
    swampkitty April 21, 2009 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm

Count us in. Bill, would it expedite things to drop cash off to you in person?

19. catnfiddle April 21, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm

I’d think it smarter to make it in check form for accounting sake.

20. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty April 21, 2009 1:35 pm at 1:35 pm

I’m a cash kinda person too, it really makes things easier. I don’t remember the last time I wrote a check, I don’t know where my checkbook wuld be anyways. If a check is needed I just go get a money order, I wouldn’t even know how to get the money back that was spent on the money order if it got returned to me. i guess i could just write it out to cash if that is necessary.

21. risala
    risala April 21, 2009 1:39 pm at 1:39 pm

Heck yeah!  The check is in the mail.

22. Lanibug65 April 21, 2009 3:22 pm at 3:22 pm

check is the mail….

23. efilsitra
    efilsitra April 21, 2009 4:04 pm at 4:04 pm

check out BONOpizza at Ruby’s 1978 Summit Street. Bill will be there serving up hot pizzas on the porch (or wherever he can fit his oven) for Andy Shaw Bands official Ruby’s CD Release, we will have our cds available for cheaper than normal prices! Thanks! myspace.com/andyshaw

24. Bear
    Bear April 21, 2009 4:16 pm at 4:16 pm

Dropped off cash this morning.  Bill and Peggy were kind enough to treat me to a cup of coffee and gingersnaps.  (Damn good ones too.)

25. CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand April 21, 2009 6:25 pm at 6:25 pm

Wanted to make sure I got mine in before XLD or Gram pounced with a check for the full $5K and I ended up stuck buying measly 20%-off coupons….  :-P (Bear)
    The bigger concern would be those two would own the first $10,000 of Bono pizzas and charge us twice the price or outlaw the San Rolando!
    My check is in the mail – I bought 10 weekends worth of pizza.

26. senile delinquent April 21, 2009 6:44 pm at 6:44 pm

thank you all for responding with such kindness, but….for the record, there isn’t enough money in the world to outlaw the San Rolando, just to know it brings a smile to that young man brings warmth to my cockles (or whatever they call those things down there)..thanks, bill

27. Roland April 21, 2009 7:24 pm at 7:24 pm

That’s just not right!

28. catnfiddle April 21, 2009 9:44 pm at 9:44 pm

I believe they are called Velvet Balls, Bill, at least in Roland’s case.

29. KSquared April 21, 2009 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm

Yeah, Crom and I are in – sending a check tomorrow!

30. catnfiddle April 23, 2009 11:15 am at 11:15 am

Is there an update for how much more money they need / how many gift certificates are up for grabs?

31. bursell April 23, 2009 6:01 pm at 6:01 pm

Mailed a check today, but you probably won’t see it until at least Saturday!

32. TripleMSB April 23, 2009 8:10 pm at 8:10 pm

Count me in for $50 at least.

Did I mention I joined this website solely for BONOtogo updates?

-Mike

33. senile delinquent April 23, 2009 9:35 pm at 9:35 pm

Thank you all for your support. Fri and Sat evenings we will be set up to make pizzas right behind the Giant Eagle in Grandview, in front of the former Vito’s…psssssst..that’s Bono’s new home….ciaobilly

34. iwantyrskull
    iwantyrskull April 23, 2009 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm

AW YAY-YA THATS RIGHT: THE GRANDEST VIEW GOT THE BONO! YEAH BILL! YEAH PIZZA !YEAH C-UNDA !YEAH YEAH NARWHALS!

Walker April 23, 2009 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm

Technically the location is in Columbus in the “5xNW” area. ;)

Walker April 23, 2009 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm

Just updated the original post with the following:

37. chaptal
    chaptal April 24, 2009 6:13 am at 6:13 am

Excellent news. Congratulations!

38. KSquared April 24, 2009 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

I am so there tonight. Glad to hear I will be a Bono Savior!! YAY!

39. Elizabeth Lessner
    lizless April 25, 2009 5:43 pm at 5:43 pm

fridays and saturdays just got better…yay, congrats to bill and peggy.

40. futureman May 4, 2009 9:16 am at 9:16 am

Any new updates? I noticed my check got cashed so I’m assuming things are moving forward?

Walker May 4, 2009 9:21 am at 9:21 am

Yep, if you look up at posts #33 and #36 there’s info about the new location. Haven’t heard an indoor opening date yet though. I’m sure Bill will keep us posted. :D

42. senile delinquent May 4, 2009 2:36 pm at 2:36 pm

hi folks, just a little update. Tomorrow, Tue. the plans are being turned into the Columbus Health Department, they then have up to 30 days to approve or recommend changes to them. Then the building dept. for their input. In the meantime, we are there Fri/Sat 5-10, & are going to begin doing remodeling things we can, without violating any rules, such as painting, redoing the floor, signage, & things like that. Thanks for the interest. bill & peg

43. ladybird May 30, 2009 8:45 am at 8:45 am

What’s the deal??? This was my second attempt to get pizza this past
    Friday and NO one was there. I thought they were setting up shop Fri & Sat?  Also, has any recieved their gift certificates? What is going on with that??  Are they opening ? It does not look like they have even started remodeling.

44. senile delinquent June 1, 2009 12:19 pm at 12:19 pm

We did set up for a while and wanted to continue. However, until we are in an inside situation we realized we were violating the CHD’s rules and did not want to  do anything that would cause problems later. The location in G’view required certain structural changes to the roof that were not real agreeable to certain folks. We are presently looking at an empty restaurant space (that is already nearly fully equipped) within a very short distance of it. We, bono, want to get open as soon as humanly possible since it is our sole source of income and we miss our customers/friends. thanks, bill & peg

45. iwantyrskull
    iwantyrskull June 6, 2009 12:34 am at 12:34 am

uh…  there’s a “for lease” sign in the window at the location now…  i’m getting depressed. pleeeease stay in my neighborhood. because i am selfish. and yr pizza is the best.

46. Roland June 7, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am

Come back to Russell Ave please :)

47. theburns June 15, 2009 10:34 am at 10:34 am

Has any further progress been made? Bill and Peg, please post here if you will be setup somewhere in the meantime.

Thanks!

48. risala
    risala June 15, 2009 4:16 pm at 4:16 pm

Yes, lots of us are wondering!  Also wondering about the bono pizza savior certs, is there a timeline??

49. TripleMSB June 19, 2009 5:38 pm at 5:38 pm

I admit, I started to worry when I drove past and saw the FOR LEASE sign. Thank you Bill for continuing to keep us in the loop. Good luck, and know that the majority of us will follow you to wherever you end up.

-Mike

50. senile delinquent June 20, 2009 6:26 pm at 6:26 pm

Just a tiny update. I think we have located a building where everyone will be happy & nobody is upset at the prospect of our cutting the roof up. Also, as far as the certificates, they will have a six month life, with the meter to begin running the day we officially open with all the proper certificates in order. Thank you for your interest. Bill & Peggy

51. SLYFAX July 9, 2009 4:34 pm at 4:34 pm

Still hoping you guys get things together… would prefer you back in the Short North (especially since the only pizza offerings here are Donato’s or a couple of upscale places).

HUGGERS!  Jeff