Entertainment

Top Ten Things to do in Columbus, Ohio

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Hey! This list is *way* out of date! It was created in 2007, but you likely landed here due to a google search looking for things to do in Columbus Ohio! Well, you’ve come to the right place, and a much more updated (and photo-centric) list can be found here:

The Top 20 Things to do in Columbus Ohio

The Top 10 Things to do in Columbus Ohio

If you still want to look at the old list from 2007 though, it’s intact, below:

Ok, here’s the deal. You’ve got a visitor from out of town. They’ve never been to Columbus. You want to show them a good time. Where do you take them, and what do you suggest they do while they’re here?

You’ve made your suggestions, and here’s the results!

The Top 10 Things to do While Visiting Columbus, Ohio

1) Stroll Through the Short North – Everyone seems to universally agree. The Short North is THE neighborhood to visit when you’re in Columbus. Go during a Gallery Hop if possible (first saturday of every month) but any day or night is a great time in the Short North. Be sure to hit a few of the art galleries, a few of the stores, and a few of the restaurants and bars. Special mentions go to Betty’s Fine Food and Spirits, The Surly Girl Saloon, the Bristol Bar, Skully’s Music Diner, Rosendale’s, and Goodale Park.

2) Lunch at the North Market – A short walk south of the Short North you’ll find the North Market. A great spot to shop for food, gifts, and try a variety of ethnic foods for lunch or to go. Special mentions to go Jeni’s Ice Cream and Pure Imagination Chocolatier.

3) Stroll Through German Village – This historic community on the southern end of downtown Columbus is filled with beautifully restored homes as well as a few well placed shops, stores, restaurants and more. Special mentions to go the Bookloft, Schiller Park, Banana Bean Cafe, and First Watch.

4) Tour the Franklin Park Conservatory – Located on Broad street a few miles east of downtown, the Park Conservatory is a great stop on any afternoon. Botanical exhibits feature a mix of plant-life and modern art. Attend during the summer months if possible for the annual butterfly exhibit.

5) Visit Easton Town Center – This shopping destination pioneered the “Lifestyle Center” concept and is still one of the most prime examples of it’s type anywhere in the country. Located just a few miles east of downtown, Easton combines standard shopping mall stores with a pedestrian-friendly outdoor setting. A mix of dining options, entertainment venues, and outdoor performance art during the summer makes it one of a kind stop in Columbus.

6) Tour the Ohio State University Campus – Columbus is home to one of the largest universities in the nation, and the campus is full of interesting activities for non-students and visitors. The commercial strip along High Street is famous for it’s stores, shops, and food options. Special mention also goes out to the Wexner Center for the Arts, where you can attend an event or view an exhibit while on campus.

7) Visit the Columbus Zoo – The Columbus Zoo and Aquarium is located approximately 20 miles north of downtown, but well worth the drive. Many of it’s exhibits have received national acclaim, and current expansion plans will increase the size of the zoo to make it one of the largest in North America.

8) Bar Hop in the Arena District – If you can visit Columbus during the winter hockey season you can take in a Blue Jackets game at Nationwide Arena, but the bars and restaurants in the Arena District are hopping all year long. All flavors of nightlife can be found through this area including sports bars, dance clubs, lounges, summer patios, local breweries, cocktails, DJs, live bands, national acts, local talents, and everything in between.

9) Visit the Columbus Museum of Art – The Art Museum is located right downtown and features a large collection of late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century American and European modern art. There are also rotating exhibits featured as well.

10) Go Out to Eat Constantly – Dining in Columbus gets it’s own special mention. Columbus may not be known for specific types of cuisine, but the sheer variety of options (most of which are very affordable) means that you should never been dining at home while visiting this city. The results of this poll showed that everyone’s got some pretty strong favorites. Some were already mentioned up above, and some others include M, Cap City, Spagio, Basi Italia, Northstar Cafe, Jack & Benny’s, Due Amici, and Latitude 41. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

46 Responses to Top Ten Things to do in Columbus, Ohio

Walker May 11, 2007 10:58 am at 10:58 am

Here’s my own top 10 just to get the ball rolling:

1 Stroll through German Village

2 Shop & Lunch at North Market

3 Bar Hop through Arena District & Park Street

4 Stroll through Short North

5 Dinner Downtown (Due Amici, Lat 41, Tip Top, Brownstone, etc)

6 Columbus Zoo & Aquarium

7 Visit Franklin Park Conservatory

8 Breakfast in Clintonville (North Star, Nancy’s, Jack & Benny’s, etc)

9 Visit the Book Loft

10 Columbus Museum of Art

2. honavery May 11, 2007 11:01 am at 11:01 am

My list would probably be the same as yours, except I would have to throw Easton on there somewhere (even though I really don’t want to).

3. thatsmydog May 11, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am

Franklin Park Conservatory

COSI

Art Museum

OSU Campus

North Market

Easton

Short North

Park of Roses

Zoo

Wexner Center

4. BUTerrier May 11, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am

Wow, 10 things that I enjoy is hard enough to think of, I will try though. Damn, just realized anytime of the year too, that makes my #1 choice of football game out.

1. M

2. Drive through Bexley and look at homes.

3. Drive around Campus and show off the University.

4. Bar hop arena district.

5. Stroll through short north.

6. Drive through upper arlington and look at homes.

7. Drive to new albany and look at homes.

I cannot really think of anything else, it just seems everytime someone visits we are driving around looking at homes.

5. dru
    dru May 11, 2007 11:19 am at 11:19 am

1.) Breakfast at North Star in SN

2.) Franklin Park Conservatory

3.) GV, the Book Loft and coffee at CoJoe

4.) Lunch at North Market

5.) Goodale Park

6.) SN Galleries (if I pick 1, the Mahan)

7.) Wexner Center

8.) Wine bar at Spagio

9.) Dinner at Basi

10.) Nightcap at Bristol

if there’s a day 2 – OSU and Easton come into the mix

day 3 – zoo and a clippers/crew game

6. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty May 11, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am

breakfast at jack and benny’s

7. shroud
    shroud May 11, 2007 11:27 am at 11:27 am

Obviously in reality this would depend a LOT on who they were, where they were from, and what kind of stuff they were into.

Anyway, here are my suggestions:

1. Catch A Show @ Shadowbox Cabaret*

2. Walk through OSU Campus

3. Lunch & Shopping @ the North Market

4. Shopping & possibly food at Easton

5. Visit Franklin Park Conservatory

6. Columbus Zoo & Aquarium

7. Franklin Park Conservatory

8. Dinner @ “M”

9. Shopping @ Polaris

10. Breakfast @ Nancy’s

11. A trip to COSI

* = this can be done basically any Thurs – > Saturday (and sometimes Sun), so it’s a more stable option then the Gallery Hop, since it’s “any weekend”, but if it needs to be DQ’d thanks to the non-weekday options, that’s why I’ve included 11 choices.

8. Coremodels
    Coremodels May 11, 2007 11:29 am at 11:29 am

1. German Village, walking tour.

2. Topiary Park (finally saw this myself first time recently!)

3. Zoo, definitely…one of best in world, right?

4. Short North for a stroll up High Street from cap to 5th or so

5. North Market shopping, Arena District walk around.

6. Either COSI or the Museum of Art, depending on what was the feature

7. Breakfast at Banana Bean

8. Lunch at Rosendale’s

9. Dinner at Basi Italia

10. ROAD SNACKS FROM WHITE CASTLE! (come on, we are famous for it!)

9. CbusIslander
    CbusIslander May 11, 2007 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm

This was the topic Rebecca Ryan brought up in the cafe before releasing her report. Lots of these same places were brought up in the discussion.

My list:

1) Short North shopping/eatery

2) Easton shopping/eatery

3) Visit one of the many MetroParks

4) German Village Book Loft

5) Arena District Bar hop

6) Powell Craft store (if with my grandma)

7) Alum Creek (hit the trails)

8) Polaris shopping

9) Home tours of the area

10) Catch a game (Clippers or Blue Jackets) usually a game is going on all year long.

10. CbusIslander
    CbusIslander May 11, 2007 1:01 pm at 1:01 pm

^^ :lol:

the 8) came up instead of just an 8.

11. The Hegemo
    The Hegemo May 11, 2007 1:32 pm at 1:32 pm

If I have friends in from out of town, I usually wind up taking them:

1) Shopping in the Short North

2. take them to bernie’s and tell them this is the nicest bar in the city

3. throw some batteries at hookers

4. punch-a-size some campus bums faces

5. take them to the city center mall and tell them it’s our best mall

6. then over to westland and tell them it used to be our best mall

7. take them swimming at a holiday inn express

8. eat breakfast at white castles, lunch at white castles, and dinner at white castles… or waffle house… either way

9. go coffin hunting at hoover resevoir

10. take them house seeing in linden

13. mdmosu09 May 11, 2007 3:42 pm at 3:42 pm

I’ve had some out-of-town visitors, and though I try to tailor the visits to their interests and to seasonal activities, this is a pretty good model of what a weekend visitor gets when they crash on my couch:

(Note: I live in the Short North, so it’s a little over-represented on the itinerary!)

Friday night

1. Dinner at Surly Girl

2. Drinks somewhere in the short north, or at Wall Street if they visitor is gay.

Saturday:

3. Morning walk around OSU Campus; stop into Bookstores for t-shirts if necessary.

4. Lunch at North Market

5. Dessert at Jeni’s and/or Imagination Chocolatier (if we don’t do Jeni’s at this point, then we stop in Grandview at some other point!)

6. Movie at the Drexel in Bexley

7. Dinner at a Cameron Mitchell place (Cap City is fun, especially to bring family) OR an Aladdin’s location if the visitor is vegetarian.

8. Walk around Goodale Park and the Short North (and I really do try to plan visitors to be here during Gallery Hops!)

Sunday:

9. Driving tour of Downtown (especially the capital building) and German Village.

10. Brunch at Bob Evans (I know it’s not amazing, but they don’t have many of them where I grew up, so it’s a novelty for most of my visitors)

Alternates (especially when visitors are here on subsequent visits): Walks in downtown Grandview, movies at Arena Grand, outlet malls in Jeffersonville, COSI, Book Loft, Pistaccio, Wexner Center, Haiku, Shoku … the list goes on. I think I need to schedule some visitors. 8) [/b]

Walker May 11, 2007 3:51 pm at 3:51 pm

Hey! Welcome to the site! Thanks for posting! :)

15. brothermarcus
    brothermarcus May 11, 2007 5:01 pm at 5:01 pm

realistic friday nite-sunday morning 10 event ideas… leaning a bit marcus-centric, personal history included for no extra cost.

1. clippers game

2. film at drexel gateway

3. drinks at larry’s

bed

4. breakfast at first watch

5. morning round of disc golf at griggs

6. lunch at the brown bag

7. after lunch stroll around shiller park

8. good times at the museum of art/franklin park

9. tour of campus via CABS

10. drinks and food at Surly Girl, dancing at Skully’s

bed

for my own version of the tour, sunday morning would involve a stop at the waffle house in marysville- but that’s not columbus, so i left it out. feel free to add it in, but i will not allow TeeJayes- no visitor should ever be made/allowed to eat there.

16. shroud
    shroud May 11, 2007 5:09 pm at 5:09 pm

brothermarcus wrote but i will not allow TeeJayes- no visitor should ever be made/allowed to eat there.

Hey now! Everyone should experience a full-on Barnyard Buster at least once.

17. Coremodels
    Coremodels May 11, 2007 5:43 pm at 5:43 pm

shroud wrote

Hey now! Everyone should experience a full-on Barnyard Buster at least once.

Preach on shroud, I’m with ya on that one…I still pick up a Buster once every 2-3 months. It may not be pretty, but DAMMMMMM it’s good.

18. BCNation May 11, 2007 5:55 pm at 5:55 pm

This list is provided I had a car to transport my guests all around the city.

1. Stroll through German Village

2. Visit The Book Loft while there

3. Stroll through The Short North

4. Visit the Franklin Park Conservatory

5. Lunch/Trek @ Easton

6. Stroll through Olde Worthington

7. Park of Roses

8. Stroll Through Uptown Westerville (Dinner @ Old Bag perhaps)

My mind is blank right now.

19. milodesc May 11, 2007 9:39 pm at 9:39 pm

Bodega

Schiller

German Village

Goodale

the shoe

walk from bicentenial to north bank park

arena district

short north

jeni’s

north market

runners up:

barcelona

surly girl

book loft

library

Walker May 14, 2007 9:55 pm at 9:55 pm

Alrighty! I tallied everything up and posted the Top 10 in the first post! It’s pretty much what I expected the list to look like! 8)

21. Columbusite May 15, 2007 12:12 am at 12:12 am

22. shroud
    shroud May 15, 2007 7:03 am at 7:03 am

Columbusite wrote Agree with with just about all, though not so sure about the conservatory and wouldn’t do Easton. Especially if the visitor was from Europe, I’d be too embarassed to show them what we traded a real city for.

Obviously everyone’s going to have a different experience, but most of the European visitors I’ve known would go into a near-coronary seeing an American retail complex like Easton – a shopping frenzy even. Take them to a place like the outlet malls down in Jeffersonville and you’d better have an ambulance standing by.

23. vestanpance
    vestanpance May 15, 2007 9:26 am at 9:26 am

My aunt and cousin come over from England about every other year and one of the first things they want to do is go to Easton because everything is so cheap to them and they view it as a very nice shopping place. FYI

24. Paul
    Paul May 15, 2007 10:01 am at 10:01 am

My friend from Germany loves Easton. Most everyone else I’ve brought there from out of the country (or from this country) have really enjoyed it.

It’s hardly my favorite place to spend a normal afternoon, but it’s a pretty cool place to take people from out of town, IMO.

Walker May 15, 2007 10:13 am at 10:13 am

Columbusite wrote I’d be too embarassed to show them what we traded a real city for.

Don’t you mean you’d be too embarassed to show them what we traded a cornfield for?

I agree with pretty much everything said about this so far. Most visitors I host from out of town love going to Easton. This type of shopping experience was pioneered here in Columbus and is still one of the best “Lifestyle” centers in the country. Sure, it’s a fake little city, but it’s more unique than any other mall around here.

And sure, shopping in a downtown environment would be nicer, but it’s not really an option at the moment. And strolling through the Short North shops did rank #1 on the list while Easton ranked #5. So it’s seems like the people who voted on this list have their priorities in order.

26. The Hegemo
    The Hegemo May 15, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am

I haven’t had any visitors from Europe here, but my Canadian friends do love going to Easton.

Last summer I was looking at Columbus Monthly in a bookstore, their annual Best & Worst issue. Easton was voted “best place to take out of town guests.” I was kind of winding up to go into my hardcore urbanite scoffing mode at what sort of people think that’s the best Columbus has to offer –

– and then I remembered that I was at Easton. With a guest from Canada.

:oops:

27. columbusguy20
    columbusguy20 May 15, 2007 3:23 pm at 3:23 pm

(in no particular order)

1. downtown Columbus (the Statehouse, Lazarus Building, Supreme Court, Arena District, Miranova, County Courthouse, Museum of Art)

2. neighborhoods (German Village, Short North, Clintonville, Victorian Village, Olde Towne East, Campus areas)

3. OSU (the campus, adjacent areas, Wexner Center, South Campus Gateway)

4. Franklin Park Conservatory

6. Easton, Polaris, Tuttle Crossing

7. the Columbus Zoo

8. our delectable selection of food (White Castle, Wendys, Cheryl and Co. cookies, Max and Erma’s, Schmidts, and the truly fine restaurants in Columbus)

9. a tour of the suburbs (Upper Arlington and Bexley for Old Money, New Albany and Dublin for New Money)

10. our abundance of golf courses

Foreign visitors do like Easton a lot, now that many people have mentioned it; my family and I had family from Germany come over in August 1989 when City Center opened and they loved it, especially all the fancy stores and shiny new mall stuff!

28. gikim1118 May 15, 2007 4:37 pm at 4:37 pm

1. Holiday Hop

2. Comfest

3. Jazz & Rib fest

4. Red, White & Boom

5. Gallery Hop

6. OSU v Michigan

7. Latin Festival

8. italian festival/octoberfest

That’s all I can think of right now.

29. BUTerrier May 15, 2007 7:28 pm at 7:28 pm

I am sure most would have this on their stroll of the short north, but I take everyone by the i670 cap at teh bare minimum. This honestly might be one of the greatest items in columbus.

Walker May 15, 2007 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm

columbusguy20 wrote 5. our freeways (I-270/OH 161 construction zone, the new I-670, the downtown split at rush hour, I-71 coming north from Grove City which has an awesome view of the city, I-270/OH 315/North High Street at evening rush hour, I-270 by Easton)

Ugh. Sitting in rush hour traffic? I don’t think our traffic is anything worth seeing. :lol: Or at least maybe I just don’t think it’s worth it for $3.29 a gallon.

gikim1118 wrote Well, instead of places, I’m going to post my favorite events since everyone pretty much covered everything.

Ha! That was actually going to be the next one of these Top 10s. ;)

31. mellotron
    mellotron May 16, 2007 4:17 pm at 4:17 pm

Columbusite wrote Especially if the visitor was from Europe, I’d be too embarassed to show them what we traded a real city for.

I’ve been thinking about this little sidebar for a couple days, and had to respond. I think the anecdotes people gave effectively rebuted this, but I think it’s interesting to consider why our guts sometimes tell us that Europeans do everything better.

But in my experience, the Europeans I’ve worked with are really just not that much different than us. They rent when they’re single, are more urban at the time, and when they finally get married and start a family they buy out in the country. There’s a McDonald’s in any big city, and tourists aren’t the only customers. They have WalMart. And they still flock to L.A., probably the antithesis of European cities.

I mean, on this website we are skewed because we have a disproportionate interest in urban planning and are conscious of its ramifications on a regular basis. I think many people here would be surprised just how many “average joes” there are in Europe that board public transportation just cuz it’s there as opposed to having an air of “mixed-use, pro-environmental, pro-density” each time they step onto a train.

My point is, I admire Europe immensely and think we can learn a lot from their cities. But to elevate the people there to some higher level simply because fate placed them there is hardly warranted. I, for one, enjoy the challenge of being part of the generation that will be driving Columbus’ urban environment. :wink:

32. Rocknrolloutlaws May 16, 2007 4:41 pm at 4:41 pm

mellotron wrote But to elevate the people there to some higher level simply because fate placed them there is hardly warranted. I, for one, enjoy the challenge of being part of the generation that will be driving Columbus’ urban environment. :wink:

I agree with both of these sentiments. I think it’s easy to give credit, or form a belief, about the whole, especially when it comes to “Europe” and “Europeans.” I’ve often wondered about this tendancy and why it happens. Because I think in the end, there are just as many people in europe who exhibit the same or similar negative tendancies as people in the US. But for some reason Europe gets overly idealized.

More importantly however, I second the last statement. I feel, as I know a large % of people on this board do, that we stand at the edge of something potentially great for columbus. And I’m excited to be in a position to help drive and shape that something.

Sorry for digressing; to bring it full circle, I will say that pretty much everything i’d list in my own top10 has already been mentioned.

Walker May 24, 2007 1:07 pm at 1:07 pm

Not all of these are in Columbus, but here’s 101 Thinigs to do in Ohio.

Their Columbus nods include COSI, The Short North, Jeni’s @ The North Market, CBC, and Festival Latino.

Really? That’s it? :?

34. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty May 24, 2007 1:57 pm at 1:57 pm

possibly the most entertaining thing I’ve done in a long while.

35. Schoolboy
    Schoolboy May 24, 2007 2:24 pm at 2:24 pm

not everyone is a dog lover… or even pets in general 8)

36. shroud
    shroud May 24, 2007 2:26 pm at 2:26 pm

Hmm.. kind of a weak showing from Columbus, but I guess they DID want to try and give options for ALL OVER Ohio, not just the big cities… (that said, there are at least EIGHT Cleveland destinations in the list).

37. lifeliberty
    lifeliberty May 24, 2007 2:29 pm at 2:29 pm

no, you’re right,

38. Columbusite May 27, 2007 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

mellotron wrote

I really doubt that any European would rather turn their city into a parking lot and have a fake one miles outside in a grassfield. When you factor that in, and how could you not, it is embarassing. I’m checking out a couple of photo books of old Columbus and it’s just frustrating to see what we traded our beautiful, pedestrian friendly buildings for.

39. Columbusite May 27, 2007 4:53 pm at 4:53 pm

40. milodesc May 27, 2007 7:08 pm at 7:08 pm

Columbusite wrote Oh and it’s not just Europeans, though I use them as an example because I spent a lot of time there. I’d rather we were a lot more like Canadians. Go visit some Canadian downtowns and then ours.

care to elaborate? i’m curious as to what makes canadian downtowns something to aspire to.

Walker May 27, 2007 8:03 pm at 8:03 pm

Columbusite wrote I really doubt that any European would rather turn their city into a parking lot and have a fake one miles outside in a grassfield.

I doubt most people (whether they’re American or European or from any other continent) really spend much time thinking about history and/or “what could have been” when they’re out to shop at a place like Easton.

Just because you or I might think about how much cooler it would be to have Easton downtown, doesn’t mean it’s the norm in any other culture.

42. cab124
    cab124 May 31, 2007 8:02 pm at 8:02 pm

I tend to agree with what Columbusite is trying to say.

I don’t think he meant to imply that someone from Europe would not have a good time visiting Easton. Most anyone who goes to Easton is going to enjoy themselves. As far as fake towns go, it is very nice with plenty to do. I don’t think that was his point.

I think that he may have been saying that some Europeans may have an appreciation for their culture’s long history of creating a public realm that is lasting, beautiful, vibrant and worth caring about. Contrast that with Columbus, where the modern public realm is largely disposable. If the current pattern continues, the day is coming when we will abandon Easton for something else – just like we did with the Continent.

Personally, I don’t find much consolation in the fact that Easton is a better form of a disposable shopping district than a traditional shopping mall. Considering what we have sacrificed in order to have places like Easton and Polaris, it all seems pretty much the same to me.

I don’t mean to sound all negative, but I guess this is one area where I feel pretty strongly that our culture is making a big mistake. I think Europeans might be more likely to see this than the average American who has been raised exclusively in the car culture, so I think I understand what Columbusite was getting at.

43. Columbusite June 4, 2007 8:51 pm at 8:51 pm

Exactly, and Walker I am rather certain as someone from Alabama and now living in Ohio (or pretty much anywhere in the US) that having knowledge of your city’s history, maybe even appreciating it and being proud of it are foreign concepts. That seems to be the norm in just about every other country.

As far as Canadian cities, they have people in their downtowns. So while generic sprawl exists there and it looks just like northern Columbus, there are still active downtowns and not nearly as much has been lost.

44. bryanyost April 23, 2009 9:26 am at 9:26 am

schoolboy’s list was halrious!

45. david161 August 20, 2013 10:13 am at 10:13 am

I can not believe that no one mentioned an OSU football game or attending one of the many downtown festivals. Also, do we have to continue to refer to Columbus as Columbus Ohio? We are the 15th largest city and 31st largest metro area in the country and we continue to think of ourselves as the little college town/state capital we once were. This dives me crazy.

46. Pingback: [ columbus ohio attractions ] Best Web Pages | I-Recommend-Best-Web-Pages(NetizenOpinion)

entertainment categories