Shopping

Tomorrow’s Antiques Opening Soon in The Short North

Walker Evans Walker Evans

The Short North was born as an arts district, grew into an entertainment district, and most recently has been dubbed as a home furnishing district. With over a dozen shops selling furniture, furnishings or some combination of the two, it’s certainly a regional destination with a high concentration for that specific type of retail.

On Saturday, March 3rd, the Short North will get another furniture shop with the opening of Tomorrow’s Antiques, located at 15 East Second Avenue. The store will focus on providing custom furniture items made from repurposed antiques in addition to in-home carpentry services.

“We’re recreating pieces of history,” says co-owner and seasoned carpenter Justin Smith. “This is about paying respect to the original builders of our neighborhoods, and helping people breathe new life into pieces that will become one-of-a-kind keepsakes.”

Click to enlarge store photos:

Smith has partnered with Steve Mills on the 1,000-square foot store, which will be equal parts workshop and retail space. Customers are encouraged to bring in items for repurposing, such as old doors that can be turned into tables, or old window frames that can become artwork frames.

Tomorrow’s Antiques will host their grand opening party during the March 3rd Gallery Hop from 4pm to 10pm. Their regular hours will be Monday through Friday from 10am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday from 1pm to 4pm, and by appointment.

More information can be found online at TomorrowsAntiques.com.

6 Responses to Tomorrow’s Antiques Opening Soon in The Short North

1. mrpoppinzs February 7, 2012 1:31 pm at 1:31 pm

Never been a big fan of the SN turning into the home decoration district. Basically these stores strike me as just another flavor of boutique.

Walker February 7, 2012 4:22 pm at 4:22 pm

What’s the problem with boutique shopping? The Short North has turned into a mixed-use district, which is a very good thing. There’s plenty of cities outside of Columbus that I’m sure would love to have a commercial strip as active, diverse and unique as The Short North.

3. mrpoppinzs February 7, 2012 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

I guess I see it as a highly specialized top of the shopping food chain.  I think a few boutiques/home decoration stores are fine. I think thogh this decoration district concept would be a bad idea. I have a friend who worked at Global Living before it imploded. I think these high end boutiques serve a muich smaller spectrum and are used by less people. I am more in favor of a very diverse SN and if we keep wanting to make it some kind of specialty district we are doing it wrong.

4. TomorrowsAntiques February 7, 2012 5:02 pm at 5:02 pm

Justin and I are very excited to become productive members of the SNBA and the Homes on High program.  We feel our designed, built, and sold here in the Short North mentality will strike a cord with other artists and residents.  We look forward to bringing a fresh spin on the melting pot that is the Short North.
    Thank you again Columbus Underground for picking up our story.
    -Steve

Walker February 8, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am

mrpoppinzs – Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think anyone is stating that the Short North needs to be a “decoration district” at the expense of everything else. The neighborhood is continuing to fill in, and the overall amount of retail has grown, which means you’re going to see more of all types of stores. I don’t see how that’s a bad thing at all.

6. OSUPhantom February 9, 2012 3:12 pm at 3:12 pm

LOVE IT! It looks amazing. I can’t wait to visit (and maybe even pick up a few things!)

shopping categories