The Pint House Beer Garden Coming to The Short North

Walker Evans Walker Evans The Pint House Beer Garden Coming to The Short North

Construction recently began inside the former Voodoo Denim Lounge at 780 North High Street, which will house the new Pint House Beer Garden this March when it opens to thirsty Short North residents and visitors. Crews are currently gutting the former clothing store and installing new plumbing to accomodate the new bar and restaurant. The roof will soon be removed from the front half of the building to create a 1,000 square foot beer garden area, which was previously planned for the back.

“The beer garden will be a courtyard-type environment with exposed beams overhead and a decor that resembles the shell of a warehouse,” said Pint House co-owner Chris Corso. “A lot of the beer gardens I saw when traveling in Prague were located in warehouse districts in older buildings, so that’s what we’re going for here.”

Corso and his partners Mike Gallicchio and Brian Swanson form The CGS Group, a local nightlife and entertainment company that owns and manages multiple venues including The Long Street District, Park Street Patio, Park Street Cantina and The Social. The Pint House represents a departure from the nightclub scene for the group, as they are targeting a slightly older crowd.

“I think there’s a lot of people who don’t want to go to Park Street at 40 years old because it’s just too crazy,” said Corso. “We’re gravitating more toward creating good food and drinks. This is something for the 30-ish crowd, which I think this area is missing right now.”

The Pint House will feature an upscale bar menu, and a drink menu that focuses on a wide beer selection. A special place will be reserved to promote locally brewed beverages as well.

“I have a ton of respect for anyone opening a small business in Columbus,” said Corso. “Currently we plan to feature a different local product each week.”

A long singular bar will run the length of the building on the southern wall serving customers both inside and out in the beer garden area. A 22-foot interior garage door will divide the two spaces and the beer garden will come equipped with weatherization elements including heaters, fire pits and tent enclosures to keep customers warm during the colder months. Porch fans and decorative lighting will provide an accommodating environment during hot summer nights.

“I’m trying to keep the ambiance of the building intact with the old timbers and rough exposed brick,” explained Corso. “This is the fun part of it for me. I love developing the concept and designing the places. We’ve never hired a design architect, because that’s just what we enjoy doing… being a part of that process.”

Corso says that his sights have been set on expanding to The Short North for some time, and he jumped at the opportunity to bring this new concept to this location.

“This area is really strong right now, right in the dead center between everything going on in the area,” he said. “We’ll be located in between two new parking garages, the new Pizzuti hotel, and several new apartment developments. We really couldn’t pick a better location.”

The Pint House will serve dinner and late night crowds from 3pm onward with possible lunch hours on Saturday and Sunday. The new bar and restaurant is expected to open in March 2013.

14 Responses to The Pint House Beer Garden Coming to The Short North

1. ntn November 25, 2012 3:11 pm at 3:11 pm

My excitement cooled off a bit when there was no progress made by the time they were originally going to open. I have to say though, removing the front of the building to put in the garden area is very cool, and should be fun place for March maddness as long their construction stays on schedule this time.

2. schwincat05 November 27, 2012 11:14 am at 11:14 am

will there be an elevator to the beer garden? Knowing how people seem to just discard those in wheelchairs i am going to guess probably not.

3. meltsintowonder
    meltsintowonder November 27, 2012 11:22 am at 11:22 am

Isn’t wheelchair access a requirement? I know bars/restaurants that have installed lifts for different levels so they were accessible by the disabled and I thought it was code.

Walker November 27, 2012 11:53 am at 11:53 am

Yeah, I’m pretty sure there are ADA accessibility code requirements for any new business. It’s sometimes tricky working in older buildings, but there are ways to make it work with ramps or even temporary/removable ramps.

This is only a single story building, and if there’s any step up at the front door frame, it’s a small one (if memory serves me correctly).

5. readysetdisco
    readysetdisco November 27, 2012 3:01 pm at 3:01 pm

“upscale, mid-30s, park street”

…sounds like the final nail in the coffin for the short north as the queer, alternative, weird neighborhood of Columbus. time to pack up and head to Olde Towne.

Walker November 27, 2012 4:00 pm at 4:00 pm

I thought the last nail was the final nail in the coffin for the Short NOrth? Or am I mixing that up with the next nail? ;)

7. Mister Shifter November 28, 2012 10:27 am at 10:27 am

readysetdisco: who needs context, right?

8. DoubleAron November 30, 2012 9:17 am at 9:17 am

Yeah, I’m not too excited about this. I’m curious to see how this crowd will interact with the crowd next door at Union and across the street at Axis

Walker November 30, 2012 9:44 am at 9:44 am

The Short North has been a mingling of straight and gay people for decades. I imagine everyone will get along fine.

10. Graybeak
    Graybeak November 30, 2012 1:50 pm at 1:50 pm

So, when will they open a place for someone at 40?

11. jcookou March 5, 2013 4:27 pm at 4:27 pm

Anybody hear if Pint House is still on track for a March open?

12. jcookou March 22, 2013 11:43 am at 11:43 am

Sounds like this is on track for more of a May/June opening…

Walker March 22, 2013 1:13 pm at 1:13 pm

Last I heard (a few weeks ago), The Pint House is aiming for April.

14. ShortNorthResident May 14, 2013 9:30 am at 9:30 am

Noticed the front windows are all boarded up this morning? Are they renovating already? Making it more open air perhaps??