It doesn’t seem like it’s been around for this long, but the Independents’ Day festival is already turning five years old. This all-day celebration of all things Columbus features crafters, artisans, murals, fashion, comedy, film, food trucks, coffee, booze, artwork, games, restaurants, authors, sculpture and of course… music.
Overwhelmed? No sweat! We asked Independents’ Day 2012 Captain Erin Corrigan to narrow it down to five really good reasons to attend this year, and here’s what she had to day:
1. Tons of music, featuring 36 bands!
- Reunion shows from Bookmobile and Miranda Sound.
- Rising stars Forest & the Evergreens, Brujas del Sol, and more.
- Columbus favorites Watershed.
- Independents’ Day year-one throwbacks Flotation Walls and Lo-Pan.
- Kelley Deal (of the Breeders) and her new band R. Ring.
- A full day of electronic dance music.
Giant Croquet. Need we say more?
3. Kids’ Space
Kids can participate in arts & crafts, sidewalk chalk, face painting and more — and learn about recycling, growing and healthy choices.
4. Mini Ohio Film Festival presented by Gateway Film Center and comedy showcase inside Due Amici
Check out some local shorts as well as a hilarious mix of improv and standup comedy.
You didn’t really think we’d give it all away, did you?
More information can be found online at www.thisisindependent.com.