The List: 10 More New Apartment Developments Around Columbus
As you’re probably already aware (and possibly tired of hearing about at this point), Columbus is in the middle of an apartment building boom. In November 2011, we published a list of 12 large rental developments that had been recently announced, and followed it with a list of 11 more apartment buildings in April 2012. While we’ve continued to provide regular updates since then, we realized that we had not compiled a list in the past year, and there’s quite a few to round up since then.
So without further delay, here’s a list of 10 more apartment buildings either announced, proposed, or already under construction in the central, inner-city region of Columbus:
1. Highpoint at Columbus Commons – This six-story 300-unit apartment development was announced in April of 2012 and is currently under construction in Downtown Columbus. The mixed-use development faces High Street on one side and the Columbus Commons park on the other side. The ground floor calls for 23,000 square feet of retail, and residents and visitors will utilize the existing underground parking garage.
2. The Benchmark Apartments – The Benchmark Apartments were completed quickly at the intersection of Kenny and Henderson Roads. This 108-unit apartment community features one, two and three bedroom units as well as a fitness studio, dog park and saltwater pool.
3. Franklinton Art Lofts – A four-story 42-unit building designed by architect Jonathan Barnes was proposed at the intersection of Lucas and Rich Street in East Franklinton last summer. There’s been little word on progress for the development, but could someday provide an opportunity for live-work spaces for artists and creatives in the emerging neighborhood.
4. The Lane – Technically located in Upper Arlington, this mixed-use development on Lane Avenue is well into its construction phase. The five-story project includes 107 apartment units, a 109-room hotel, ground floor retail space, and 13,000 square feet of office tenant space. Once completed, residents here will find themselves within a very short walk of the brand new Whole Foods grocery store located across the street.
5. Flats II – One more parking lot in the Arena District is being filled in with the new Flats II apartment building, which is currently under construction. Nationwide Realty Investors is developing the new five-story 120-unit building, which is scheduled to begin opening to residents in the Fall of 2013.
6. Yankee Trader Apartments – The building that formerly housed the Yankee Trader party supply store near the convention center is rehabbing its interiors to host 11 new apartments with a ground-floor retail space that will most likely be home to a restaurant (Flip Side Burgers was formerly announced, but has since scrapped plans for expanding to that space). These apartments are scheduled to come online this summer.
7. New LC Apartment Building – A yet-to-be-named development from Lifestyle Communities was proposed and approved in November 2012 at the corner of High and Rich Streets in Downtown Columbus. This seven-story 100-unit building will sit in between the LC’s Annex at RiverSouth development on Front Street and the new Highpoint at Columbus Commons apartments, adding even more residential density to this portion of Downtown.
8. Jeffrey Park – One of the largest and most ambitious new developments announced in Columbus is the 41-acre Jeffrey Park community, located in Italian Village. This Wagenbrenner development is expected to break ground in multiple phases, and once completed will add 1,300 new residences to this currently empty site. The new community is comprised completely of modern architecture designed by local firm BBCO.
9. The View on High – Speaking of BBCO, the firm also designed “The View on High”, a new five-story mixed-use building that will be located adjacent to The Ohio State University. The ground floor facing High Street will be lined with retailers (including the already-announced Wendy’s) while the upper floors host 62 new apartment units.
10. Parkside on Pearl – The Wood Companies are working on the development of a new modern apartment building in Italian Village seating right behind Haiku, and next door to The Hub mixed-use building, which is currently under construction. The Parkside building was originally proposed at seven-stories with 52 units (pictured), but is being reduced to 44 units and going shorter at the request of the area commission.
Collectively, these 10 new projects add up to nearly 2,200 new apartment units for the central area of Columbus. That’s in addition to the approximately 3,000 units that we wrote about in our 2011 and 2012 lists. That means a sizable new population is in the process of being added to Downtown, the Short North, Brewery District, Grandview Heights and other points in between.
For more information on apartments for rent in Columbus, visit our Urban Living site.