The Dagwood Defeated Me – Ohio Deli and the Dagwood Sandwich

CMH Gourmand CMH Gourmand

The Dagwood at Ohio Deli

Ohio Deli

3444 S High St (South of 270 at intersection of Williams Road)

Columbus, OH 43207

(614) 497-0577

Ohio Deli is a great dining spot, especially for breakfast – but that can wait for the posted comments related to this story. Here is tale is about a man, a sandwich, and what happened when the two met.

Desperate for anything that resembles an accomplishment, I ventured out to eat the much-ballyhooed Dagwood sandwich at the Ohio Deli.

The mission was undertaken some time ago – but it took a while to recover and come to peace with what I had done. As has been for most life choices – I cannot be a good example – but I can be a horrible warning.

To protect the two people I conned into my mission I will refer to them as Mr. Scarlet and Mr. Grey

This is the Deal: eat the Dagwood and the fries served with it in 30 minutes and you get a T-shirt and your photo on the wall. (The Shirt proclaims – I Defeated the Dagwood) While waiting for our table we looked at the pictures of past Dagwood eaters – most seemed kind of troubled yet relieved. The record eating time is 12 minutes. The bus boy – who looked like a combination of the teenager character and the Cletus character from The Simpson’s told us that the true “champion” is the guy who ate it in 13 minutes but then had a piece of pie. (Sir, I salute you – there should be a beer commercial about that!) The busboy was a true supporter. He called us the three stooges and checked on our progress frequently.

Mr. Scarlet and Mr. Gray decided to make a go at the Sandwich as well. Mr. Scarlet did not think he could do it, Mr. Gray was ready to show he could.

The sandwich could best be described as gigantic fist sized portions of ham, turkey, and roast beef served with garlic mayonnaise, American and Swiss cheese in a bun that is as large as my head (my head is not small, one of 170 reasons I am single). The bun is extra large – the size of a hefty dinner plate. I regretted eating breakfast and lunch and not really being hungry at dinnertime, I worried about the task at hand.

I ordered my Dagwood without tomato or onion but offered to eat some extra fries to make up the difference.

As a benchmark I would say the sandwich equals two double beanie burgers (at the Gahanna Grille) or 1 and 3/4 of a Thurman burger (duh, from Thurman’s). I asked Cathy our waitress about the size. She thought the sandwich has two pounds of lunchmeat. The sandwich is big – everyone agrees on that.

A couple bites into the sandwich I felt good. A couple bites in Mr. Scarlet felt bad. At the 10-minute mark I had eaten the first half of the sandwich. Mr. Scarlet had 1/4 completed; Mr. Gray was near the 1/2 way point.

Three bites into the second half, I started to falter. The ham was very

salty and was going down slow. I disassembled the sandwich and started making mini sandwiches out of the pieces – each mini was the size of a white castle. A few more bites into the sandwich I realized I needed to pee. I decided not to go for two reasons. First, Cathy might think I was cheating. Second – the temptation to throw up would be too great, I had to press on.

I continued, somewhere around the 19 minute mark I had a panic attack and possibly went into a fugue state – I lost sense of time. Around minute 23, I came out of this state and saw that Mr. Scarlet was almost done. I still had a solid 1/3 to consume and Mr. Gray was really struggling. At 24 minutes, Mr. Scarlet was done. I burped which gave me the extra strength and belly room to carry on.

The feeling I had was similar to what I have read about marathon runners – after you hit the wall and pass through it you know you will make it and a strange nirvana set in. I moved forward with gusto and finished at 27 minutes. Mr. Gray, still struggling made a bold move and dipped the remaining bun in his orange drink for the extra moisture needed to get that behemoth down. (This is the same tactic used by professional eaters at hot dog eating contests – Eye of the Tiger, baby). He finished at 29 minutes and more than a few seconds – he still had a good number of fries left but Cathy seeing that he had gone the extra mile let that slide. I later learned that Mr. Scarlet – during my fugue episode – had done a series of yoga moves to stretch his stomach, which allowed him to finish strong.

You can see the photo of the three of us together on the wall. The “I defeated the Dagwood” t-shirt is a good shirt. That sandwich destroyed me. In the photo, I would not say we look sad, but we do not look happy either.

Some suggestions for when you go.

1) Don’t eat lunch if you are going for dinner, don’t eat breakfast if you

are going for lunch.

2) Use the pickle on the side as an eating aide – (something I discovered a little late) – a small bite of pickle every 8-10 bites seems to help things go down better.

3) Make sure you have someone with you – you really need the moral support to push through. And you need someone to drive – but that is another story.

3) Consult your physician

4) Exercise a lot.

5) Have that orange drink ready – no way you want to fall short at the end.

13 Responses to The Dagwood Defeated Me – Ohio Deli and the Dagwood Sandwich

1. Coremodels November 8, 2006 8:39 am at 8:39 am

Great review, I don’t make it there nearly as often as I should, because everytime I do make it I end up telling people about it for a couple days afterwards. Food is just great, and you’d be amazed how many people in German Village don’t even know it exists.

2. C-Bus Deals November 8, 2006 8:54 am at 8:54 am

Great review….I have to go there and try it now. I was chuckling through the entire read.

I am gonna have to go and set a new record!!! lol

Walker November 8, 2006 9:02 am at 9:02 am

Haha! Awesome. I haven’t been down to this place either but it sounds like a lot of fun. I think I could probably manage to do it, but would probably regret it. :lol:

4. Coremodels November 8, 2006 10:37 am at 10:37 am

As close as you are Walker, you definitely have to go. You may have just found one of your favorite nearby establishments.

5. Anne Evans
    Anne November 8, 2006 10:47 am at 10:47 am

I will not be participating in the challenge.

But I would go and check it out and support someone else! :)

great review!

6. shroud
    shroud November 8, 2006 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm

All the “eat this ridiculously huge amount of food and get your picture on the wall” places crack me up. If there really is two POUNDS of lunchmeat on that sandwhich, it’s possible I COULD eat it, but there’s no way I would WANT to. Eating until I feel like I’m going to burst just isn’t FUN.

All for the “fame” of a free t-shirt and a polaroid stuck to the wall that no one who doesn’t know you will ever care about.

Walker November 8, 2006 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm

Yeah, it’s a very sophomoric sense of the word “fun”. :lol: Not something I try to indulge in too often.

The sad part is that most restaurants’ portions aren’t too far fetched from this. Two pounds of food is EASY for any restaurant to give you when you go out for a sit down meal and include an appetizer/dessert and/or unlimited bread. It’s typically consumed in about 60-90 minutes though which makes it a little easier. Speed eating that sort of thing is the juvenile aspect of it. :wink:

8. Roland November 8, 2006 1:55 pm at 1:55 pm

The price of fame is so high.. so high.. :cry:

9. C-Bus Deals November 8, 2006 2:22 pm at 2:22 pm

Color me sophmoric…..Sometimes you do things just because.

I shall conquer!!!!

10. CMH Gourmand
    CMH Gourmand November 8, 2006 3:07 pm at 3:07 pm

Just like mountains – sometimes sandwiches have to be eaten because they are there.

Anne – you will be DD for Walker – no one should have to face this alone.

For training go to the Gahanna Grille for the Double Beany Burger – less food, more pricey but a shirt and photo too.

Sounds like Ohio Deli is a venue for the next CU staff meeting.

11. Mr. Grey November 9, 2006 4:41 pm at 4:41 pm

Curse you Gourmand! Why do you bring this up when you know how much it hurts?

CMHG is quite correct; he is a harbinger of terrible possibilities. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve walked into a scary situation based on his notions of adventure, but sometimes it pays off. The Columbus Deli was quite a treat!

Although we met the challenge, I look forward to never doing that again. However, I would like to return for a sensible meal; the French fries are a must for true French fry connoisseurs. Simple, golden, crisp, delicious.

Heed his advice! First, a designated driver is important. We could feel our stomachs moving independently through each undulation and curve on the freeway. Don’t be a distracted driver! Second, the orange drink helped, a lot, but the sweet flavor of a cola mixed with the salt of the ham was truly repulsive. Stick to good old fashioned water.

Cheers!

Walker November 9, 2006 8:13 pm at 8:13 pm

Ha! Thanks for the additional comments! I’ll probably try to hit this place sometime soon.

13. C-Bus Deals November 21, 2006 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm

Conquered today in 25 minutes.

It wasn’t that bad in my opinion. Even our 110 lb. waitress said she had done it.