Civics / Politics

Texting While Driving Ban May be Coming Soon to Ohio

Walker Evans Walker Evans Texting While Driving Ban May be Coming Soon to Ohio

Texting while under the influence of driving has been illegal within the City of Columbus (and a few other suburban cities) for over a year now, but soon there could be a statewide ban intended to crack down on this deadly activity.

“Texting while driving is one of the most dangerous forms of distracted driving because it takes the driver’s hands off the wheel and eyes off the road,” said Columbus City Councilmember Michelle Mills, who chairs the Public Safety Committee. “That is why I joined AAA, local law enforcement officers and other transportation advocates at a Statehouse rally yesterday urging the State Senate to pass this texting while driving ban.”

If passed, Ohio House Bill 99 would make the act of texting while driving a primary traffic offense with a fine of up to $150. 34 other states already have similar legislation.

More ongoing discussion about the Columbus ban on texting while driving can be found HERE.

9 Responses to Texting While Driving Ban May be Coming Soon to Ohio

1. cbustransit September 23, 2011 1:09 pm at 1:09 pm

I’m not entirely sure this is correct… “Texting while under the influence of driving”

Walker September 23, 2011 1:15 pm at 1:15 pm

I like to sprinkle some humor into things from time to time. ;)

3. HogRoaster
    HogRoaster September 23, 2011 1:41 pm at 1:41 pm

What’s the consensus here on this?  My feeling is that it should be illegal, but difficult to enforce.  I just feel like it gives a jerk cop one more thing to illegally search you for and ticket, assuming that you committed a crime even if you haven’t.  For example, my phone automatically marks a text as read if you press anywhere on its screen after a text alert.  Is that enough to make me guilty?  If I’m holding my phone when a text comes through and the cop sees me holding my phone while driving, can he pull me over?  What if someone else in the car sent the text on my phone and the cop “suspects” me for texting, but never actually saw me send a text?

I used to assume that most traffic cops are reasonable and honest….but after I received a seat-belt violation after taking my seat-belt off to grab my wallet from my back pocket (after being pulled over for going 9MPH over 65) I’ve lost all faith.

4. StowCbusCleveland September 23, 2011 2:49 pm at 2:49 pm

I don’t think this law should pass.  Texting while driving is dangerous, but so is eating while driving, doing makeup while driving, changing clothes while driving, disciplining your children while driving, and on and on.  ANY form of distracted driving is dangerous.
    I would be happy to just see people get pulled over for driving poorly.  Pulling out in front of someone dangerously, weaving excessively, speeding, running red lights, running stop signs…write tickets for that stuff.

5. tolemac5050
    tolemac5050 September 23, 2011 6:30 pm at 6:30 pm

Well said StowCbusCleveland!

6. lakeerietransplant September 23, 2011 6:53 pm at 6:53 pm

But StowBus, that means that those writing the laws have common sense! So, it won’t happen.

7. leftovers September 24, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am

I agree that this probably already fits into some reckless/distracted driving category that is already on the books. I guess it just makes it easier for cops to make a charge that sticks like the per se BAC laws do.

Personally, the law does not bother me. I think it helps keep temptation at bay. I have done some pretty stupid texting while driving in my day.

8. cheap September 26, 2011 1:59 pm at 1:59 pm

unlike the seat belt law,which is a secondary offense,texting while driving is an activity that puts everyone on the road at risk.

it should be made a primary offense.this forces the police to enforce the law.

besides,people are slowing down a and speeding tickets are decreasing

win win

9. mivaly December 14, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am

A recent study by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration indicated that two out of 10 drivers is text messaging when driving. And fifty percent all those responding between the ages of 21 and 24 admitted to the deed. These numbers are up despite growing number of states banning text messaging when driving. But the issue may be even more common than individuals want to confess, the study suggests. It is risky and terrifying to text and drive simultaneously. http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-information/auto-news/more-drivers-texting/

politics categories