Shopping

Sole Classics: Best Shoe Store of 2008

Walker Evans Walker Evans

The Alive wrote Best of Columbus 2008: Shopping

Best Shoe Store: Sole Classics

Runners-up: DSW, Nordstrom

March 27, 2008

High-level accounts with Nike, Puma and Adidas have to be earned, leaving some sneaker shoppers disappointed with Sole Classics’ selection for the first year or so. Now, the walls are lined with limited-run and exclusive men’s and women’s sneakers as well as guys’ T-shirts, jackets and hats from Crooks & Castles, Stussy and Kidrobot.

Related Story:

- Sneaker freaks can spend big bucks on their passion

25 Responses to Sole Classics: Best Shoe Store of 2008

1. columbus native March 29, 2008 9:09 am at 9:09 am

I think that this is a great vote. Sole Classics has a great environment and keeps the styles fresh. Good stuff

2. Coremodels March 29, 2008 9:19 am at 9:19 am

Isn’t the owner a regular here? For some reason I’m forgetting who it is though…

3. Roland
    Roland March 29, 2008 9:51 am at 9:51 am

Very happy to see one of the places I voted for actually win!

4. Jason Lemon Lyman
    Jason Lemon Lyman March 29, 2008 9:53 am at 9:53 am

By far the best shoe store in town. Love those super fresh kicks. plus, the hip-hop group in there last gallery hop was ill.

Way to go.

5. swan March 30, 2008 7:25 pm at 7:25 pm

this would definitely get my vote.

6. scottlitch
    scottlitch March 30, 2008 7:36 pm at 7:36 pm

Congrats guys!

7. ChrisD28 April 1, 2008 2:48 pm at 2:48 pm

To the person who mentioned the hip-hop group from last gallery hop, that was Fly.Union. They are great guys and their new album has just dropped. For now they are offering it up for free download. Here’s the link:

Click to download Kill Fly.U

Photobucket

Also, an early heads-up, the artist Jeremy Nichols who did the art installation in the shop is doing an entirely new installation for our 2 year anniversary. This opening is tenatively scheduled for May 31. Prior to that we will have a catalog in the store for purchase of all of the pieces that are currently on the walls. More on this later.

Thanks again for the kind words.

8. ChrisD28 April 1, 2008 6:05 pm at 6:05 pm

I’m sorry, I gave a little bit of misinformation in the above post. The free download is of Fly.U’s first album that came out last July. The new one should be coming soon. I’ll do another post when that one becomes available.

9. Roland
    Roland April 1, 2008 6:13 pm at 6:13 pm

I really want some of that wall art.

I’m wearing some of those sweet kicks of yours right now. :)

10. ChrisD28 April 1, 2008 6:28 pm at 6:28 pm

Roland wrote I really want some of that wall art.

I’m wearing some of those sweet kicks of yours right now. :)

Funny that you say that because I’m actually wearing the same sweater right now that you’re wearing in your profile picture. Got it at Tigertree.

11. Jason Lemon Lyman
    Jason Lemon Lyman April 1, 2008 6:38 pm at 6:38 pm

ChrisD28 wrote Hey, somehow I missed this thread the other day. I just wanted to thank everybody for the positive comments and support! We were so excited to win this category (over DSW, no less).

Click to download Kill Fly.U

Photobucket

Thanks again for the kind words.

Chris…Thanks for the heads up on the free dl. You guys have it goin on. I’ll be in to pick up another pair of shoes, as my b-day is tomorrow and I have some $$$ to spend.

12. ChrisD28 April 1, 2008 7:00 pm at 7:00 pm

Cool, see you then. Not sure if you’re a Nike guy or not but we are expecting 4 or 5 new styles tomorrow!

To look at more stuff that we currently have in the store check out my blog @ – http://www.soleclassics.com – I update it on an almost daily basis with pics of anything new that we get in, announcements, etc.

13. swan April 1, 2008 7:02 pm at 7:02 pm

you guys carry wrath arcane? i didnt knooooow that.

14. ChrisD28 April 1, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm

swan wrote you guys carry wrath arcane? i didnt knooooow that.

Yeah, we were actually the very first account that they opened outside of selling their stuff at their own store, Brigade, up in Cleveland. It’s great stuff. Very fashion forward, yet still quite practical because of the basic color pallet that they use. Best of all, it is designed in Ohio and it is all made in the States!

The designers are good guys too. Definitely make a stop at Brigade if you’re ever up in Cleveland.

15. Roland
    Roland April 1, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm

Those new nike quickstrike packs you’ve got coming this Saturday look amazing. Particularly the blue set! I’m sad that I will be out of town that morning and unable to stop in until the afternoon!

Maybe I can alter my plans to get back in Columbus sooner. And also visit my breakfast homies too. :)

16. ChrisD28 April 3, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am

Roland, the Quickstrike releases come in prepacks. Typically that means that we are getting 12 pairs per style. This one is a slightly larger prepack than usual, 16 pairs per style this time, so you have better odds of those still being around. Hopefully we’ll see you on Saturday.

Also, anybody remember these: Photobucket

The Nike Air Tech Challenge II (better known as the Andre Agassi). They just reissued these this week in this, the original, colorway for the first time. We got a size run in today. I used to play tennis in these in middle school. Even if they aren’t your cup of tea, they oughtta bring back some nostalgia for many!

17. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman April 3, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am

18. shmack
    shmack April 3, 2008 1:17 am at 1:17 am

ChrisD28 wrote
    Roland wrote I really want some of that wall art.

I’m wearing some of those sweet kicks of yours right now. :)

that makes THREE!! man, i’m not so sure i can be supporting all these SN boutiques cuz i’m not sure i can handle two other ladies wearing the same jawns as me.

kidddding!!!!! i love you guys.

19. ChrisD28 April 3, 2008 2:35 pm at 2:35 pm

CDS sherman wrote ahh the Agassi’s…. 7th grade all over again. :lol: i used to have some sweet reebok pumps!

Those are cool too. Reebok has been reissuing lots of old pumps over the last year. We might be getting some in in a couple of months.

20. dejitaru April 3, 2008 2:45 pm at 2:45 pm

that zshare link doesnt seem to work for the new fly.u album :(

21. youmad April 3, 2008 4:32 pm at 4:32 pm

Congrats guy’s!!!

22. bayrea April 3, 2008 4:41 pm at 4:41 pm

What sort of price range is the artwork on the walls going for???

23. Jason Lemon Lyman
    Jason Lemon Lyman April 5, 2008 1:40 pm at 1:40 pm

Got me some new Air Max!

Fresh new shoes for my birthday celebration tonight!

24. ChrisD28 April 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm

bayrea wrote What sort of price range is the artwork on the walls going for???

I can’t say for sure yet, because the artwork is being priced by the artist, Jeremy Nichols. However, I can say that based on the possible numbers that he has thrown out in discussion it is going to be very affordable. i.e. there will be pieces that fall into just about everybody’s budget. I will repost when he has completed the catalog.

shopping categories