Short North Adds New Public Art Murals
The Short North Alliance is set to debut 11 new temporary outdoor murals next week, replacing the previous 10 that were on display from August 2012 to September 2013. The murals are easily installed and removed as they are made up of high-resolution images of artwork printed on a vinyl adhesive that is fixed to the sides of buildings throughout the district.
“The mural series was one of the most talked about temporary public art exhibitions we have done in the District in many years,” said Betsy Pandora, Executive Director of the Short North Alliance. “When the first exhibition was de-installed in late 2013, the outcry from our visitors and business community was huge! Everyone wanted them back, and we’re glad that we’re able to continue this exciting and popular series in 2014 through the generous support of the City of Columbus’ Create Columbus Commission.”
The 11 artists, art pieces and display locations are included as follows:
- Joey Monsoon – Inez, KY: “Remember Your Spot”, presented by Lindsay Gallery, installed at 700 N High Street.
- Wallace Peck – Columbus, OH: “Lady Liberty”, presented by Open Door Art Studio, installed at 1209 N High Street.
- Douglas Rosenfield – Columbus, OH: “Camp 18″, presented by pm gallery, installed at 1130 N High Street.
- Katie Valeska – Columbus, OH: “Good Morning”, presented by the Wexner Center for the Arts, installed at 1204 N High Street.
- Laine Bachman – Columbus, OH: “Monkey Queen”, presented by Sherrie Gallerie, installed at 721 N High Street.
- Jordan Tate – Louisville, KY: “New Work #169″, presented by the Columbus Museum of Art, installed at 1081 N High Street.
- Beth Himsworth – Columbus, OH: “Koi Garden”, presented by Studios on High, installed at 765 N High Street.
- Maria DiFranco – Westlake, OH: “Domesticating the African Wolf”, presented by ROY G BIV, installed at 944 N High Street.
- Joe Lombardo – Elyria, OH: “Lot Primaries”, presented by Art Access Gallery, installed at 459 N High Street.
- Tom Baillieul – Columbus, OH: “The City of Columbus – Air and Rail from Coast to Coast”, presented by Terra Gallery, installed at 608 N High Street.
- Winnie Sidharta Ambron – Indonesia: “Victorian Portrait”, presented by Brandt-Roberts Galleries, installed at 650 N High Street.
The murals were installed yesterday, and all 11 artists will be onsite from 5:30PM to 8:00PM on Friday February 28th at each participating gallery to share their experiences about the project.
For more information, visit www.shortnorth.org.