Features

Shop Talk: Big Fun Toy Store

Melanie McIntyre Melanie McIntyre Shop Talk: Big Fun Toy Store

Big Fun owner/operator Jason Williams and wife Trinity showcase some of the store's products.

If you’re feeling a little down, you might want to swing by Big Fun Toy Store, which opens its doors May 31.

Occupying the 1,200-square-foot former Europia space at 672 N. High St., Big Fun is reentering the Columbus market after leaving it in the mid-nineties. (The first time around, Big Fun was located near the Ohio State University campus for three years.)

Big Fun’s merchandise is eclectic, consisting of things you don’t need, but you gotta have, said its co-owner/operator, Jason Williams.

“We constantly buy and sell all sorts of vintage collectibles from the 1950s to current, so our stock is always changing,” he added. “People really like shopping at our store. They’re usually laughing and having fun.”

Perhaps that’s why in 2009 Playboy named Big Fun (which also has two stores in the Cleveland area) one of the 20 “coolest stores” in America.

Setting up shop in the Short North was no accident, as Williams and Big Fun Founder Steve Presser wanted to be close to Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams and Goodale Park. Presser, in particular, is impressed with the neighborhood.

Big Fun Toy Store
672 N. High St., Short North
BigFunBigFun.com
Store Hours: Mon.-Thurs.: 12-8 p.m.; Fri. and Sat.: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.; Sun.: 11 a.m.-5 p.m.

“The amount of foot traffic on a spring Wednesday night was amazing and reassuring,” he said. “I am familiar with the Short North District from numerous visits. I just don’t know it well. I really look forward to becoming part of the family of merchants here. The people who poked their heads in we’re a mix of ‘What is this place? I remember the old Big Fun on campus’ −pretty good feeling, as it was 15 years ago − to ‘I love your stores in Cleveland.’ All were positive.”

Also, there are plans to host events, including kids’ art shows, magic performances and puppet theater, at the Short North store.

“We look forward to many years of putting smiles on people’s faces,” Presser said.

CLICK HERE for a sneak peek at more photos from the new Big Fun Toy Store.

11 Responses to Shop Talk: Big Fun Toy Store

1. FoodFort May 21, 2013 9:04 am at 9:04 am

Great to to have another taste of Cleveland come to town. Great addition to Melt. Now if we could juts get Tommy’s and Sweet Moses down here too.

2. mbeaumont May 21, 2013 9:51 am at 9:51 am

Amen, FoodFort! Restaurants from Symon and Sawyer wouldn’t be bad either!

3. Nicholas Herum
    Nicholas Herum May 21, 2013 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm

Sounds like a really cool shop. Is it all new toys or are there ‘used’ vintage toys as well?

Edit: Nevermind, I didn’t see Walker’s “First Look” article. Looks like there will be a lot of vintage toys as well. Keeping my finger’s crossed for some G1 Transformers.

4. roy
    roy May 23, 2013 8:45 am at 8:45 am

Welcome back, Big Fun! Strategically located between two regular Short North favorites (my ATM and the Short North Tavern), I see many impulsive toy purchases in my future. Inventory is mind blowing, staff friendly, funny and well informed. Welcome back to High Street, Pressers & Friends!

5. lucero May 23, 2013 11:58 am at 11:58 am

If GLBC opens a brewery/pub here, I will have no reason to return to Cleveland…

6. lbl
    lbl May 24, 2013 3:02 am at 3:02 am

Yea! LOVE BIG FUN !!! Welcome Back to Cowtown!

7. StateofDevotion
    StateofDevotion May 27, 2013 9:04 am at 9:04 am

Had a chance to meet Jason and Trinity at Gallery Hop, very nice people. Looking forward to the shop opening and who knows, they might end up with my giant 1980s G.I.Joe collection.

8. Lisa Craig Morton
    Lisa Craig Morton May 28, 2013 8:56 am at 8:56 am

What an unflattering photo of the owner. Seeing him with two cigarettes hanging out of his mouth is very uninviting. When I look at this picture, I just think of all the merchandise smelling like an ashtray. Does he plan to smoke in the store?

Walker May 28, 2013 9:24 am at 9:24 am

Lisa – Those are fake cigarettes taken from the wall of products behind them. I think they originally had the long stems attached and meant for halloween costume accessories. Guess they’re pretty realistic looking, eh? ;)

10. Scrangela May 28, 2013 9:14 pm at 9:14 pm

Thrilled to hear that Big Fun is returning to Columbus! I’ve missed it ever since it closed.

11. msnattybee December 17, 2013 5:09 pm at 5:09 pm

They have the best selection of star wars figurines! I took my kids to Big Fun for the first time to pick out an early Christmas present yesterday evening, and we had an awesome time. I think it might become a yearly tradition :-)

I have photos here:

Ps- They also have a bin full of $3-$4 action figures and small toys. Good stuff!

features categories

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (memcached). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0