Seventh Son Brewing Co. Now Open

Walker Evans Walker Evans Seventh Son Brewing Co. Now Open

After over a year in the works and going through a name change, the Seventh Son Brewing Company officially opened their doors for the first time last weekend for a soft launch party. The new business boasts 4,500 square feet of rentable event and entertainment space divided into two indoor areas and a beer garden patio out back.

“We’re not sure how much we’ll be open as a regular venue,” said co-owner Collin Castore. ”But at first we need to get people in here to see the space.”

Last weekend’s launch party included food trucks parked out front and a full bar featuring other local brews on draft such as Weasel Boy, Elevator, Four String and CBC.

“The party went very smoothly,” said Seventh Son co-owner Jen Burton. “There was a great vibe and people loved both Swoop and That Food Truck.”

The only component missing is Seventh Son’s own beer, which will begin production sometime in the coming weeks as the last of their equipment is installed and connected.

“It was supposed to be finished last week, then it was supposed to be this week, and now it might be next week,” explained Castore of the delays. “But we’re almost there.”

Once up and running, Seventh Son’s equipment has the capacity to produce 30 kegs of beer at a time, and they are hoping to produce between 2,000 to 4,000 kegs in their first year of operation.

“We also have a little bottling machine,” said Castore. “We’ll start bottling for retail sales once we have our recipes where we want them to be and producing consistently.”

In the meantime, Seventh Son will continue to host visitors interested in their new space (and interested in food trucks) this Thursday from 6pm to Midnight as well as Friday and Saturday from 6pm to 2am.

“We still don’t have our sign out front yet,” said Castore. “So it feels a bit like a speakeasy right now.”

The Seventh Son Brewing Co. is located at 1101 North Fourth Street in Italian Village. More information can be found online at www.seventhsonbrewing.com.

CLICK HERE to take a photo tour of Seventh Son.

37 Responses to Seventh Son Brewing Co. Now Open

1. ToddAnders
    ToddAnders December 19, 2012 9:31 pm at 9:31 pm

Ok, so I’m sorry, but WHAT did they open? An old car fix up lot and took over a year to add a few food trucks and someone elses beer on a tap? But they may or may not be open for regular hours, but they may.

Good for them, give me some more meat in the opening of a “NEW” place.

Walker December 19, 2012 9:41 pm at 9:41 pm

It’s a brewery. They’re going to be brewing beer. It’s in the name of their business.

3. Kahiki
    Kahiki December 19, 2012 9:55 pm at 9:55 pm

Hard to blame Todd too much. This place has gotten a ton of hype lately, and all it seems to be is a bar with weird hours. Let me know when the beer is brewed and I’ll stop by; until then I’ll keep going to the St. James down the street.

4. ToddAnders
    ToddAnders December 20, 2012 8:19 am at 8:19 am

Ok, then brew the beer. To open with a few kegs of someone elses beer and random hours and to call a few food trucks falls flat. *YAWN*…Wake me when there is a story about brewing beer to tell.

5. 0Angle December 20, 2012 8:58 am at 8:58 am

It always takes longer (and costs more) than anticipated. If people are coming in the door and spending money there is some cash flow and a chance to check out the venue. It looks like a fun space and a welcome addition to a neighborhood. I, too look forward to tasting the brew, though.

6. KarmenD December 20, 2012 9:47 am at 9:47 am

I was there last weekend. IT IS AWESOME! I love the layout, great for private parties.

7. duncanfj
    duncanfj December 20, 2012 11:00 am at 11:00 am

Who pissed in your Cherrios Todd? They’ve had difficulties with suppliers and the state. As for random hours, the hours they’ve posted are fairly common for other microbreweries that are starting up (Zauber, etc). I think this is a great idea for them to generate some cash where they can. You don’t want to support them, then don’t. You also don’t have to post comments that bash them for doing the best they can in their situation. Merry Christmas!

8. beersie1 December 20, 2012 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm

+1 duncan. I can’t believe some people’s negative attitudes.

I stopped by over the weekend with friends and we all thought the space looked great. They had a lot of solid local beer on tap- I think I got the last glass of Barley’s Xmas ale and enjoyed it by the outdoor firepit. Living in Weinland Park, it was fantastic to stroll across the park, turn the corner and be at a new bar. Renovating an old space like that garage into a brewery had to have come with a world of hoops to jump through, let alone taken a considerable investment. Welcome to the neighborhood Seventh Son, looking forward to stopping back in for your own brew soon!

9. dckareem
    dckareem December 20, 2012 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm

everbody is a critic. Ill be there for sure #supportyourhomies

10. Otesanek December 20, 2012 1:30 pm at 1:30 pm

Thanks everyone for the positive words, I wish you guys could have seen the raw space before we tore out the walls, took up the floor, trenched in a serious amount of plumbing, and built bathrooms, office and a sweet poured-in-place concrete bar top. It was a huge transformation, I’m kind of amazed it only took a year honestly. As for the beer we are, unfortunately, at the mercy of some very specialized contractors needed to install a very large boiler. Like Collin says in the interview we’re right on the cusp, aka, any day now… In the mean time pop in for a local pint or a cocktail featuring locally produced spirits. Cheers!

11. ToddAnders
    ToddAnders December 20, 2012 4:56 pm at 4:56 pm

My Wheaties have milk only; I just like fire without smoke.

My first business I self financed with little fanfare; and every business after that. My money is always on the line. I don’t bs, I just bring it. I know everyone can be a critic, but come on, don’t hype something without having your sh** done.

12. Gil Ligg December 20, 2012 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm

Todd, in case you haven’t noticed Columbus seems to be full of hype and hyperbole when it comes to the “cool crowd”.

13. rory December 20, 2012 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm

umm…what ghetto?

14. tudor1610 December 21, 2012 1:51 am at 1:51 am

wow @ “ghetto”… so wrong in so many ways! Anyways, good luck to the new business. i will be sure to check it out.

15. goldenidea December 21, 2012 6:39 am at 6:39 am

This place strikes me as an rather ambitious and off-beat concept, and I applaud them for trying this. Converting a commercial garage to a microbrewery & bar & party space can’t be easy. Also, this is a tough time of year to open a space that, with all of the glass, is perhaps more suited for warm weather/outdoor access.

I stopped in last Friday for a few beers after work. My impression is that this place is going to ROCK once we get through the winter. It seems like there’s enough space here, indoors and out, to serve hundreds of people. Once they get the brewery working and they can roll open the overhead doors, and fill both the indoor and outdoor beer gardens, they could do close to BodegaX4 level of business, selling their own product and not even having to worry about making food! I think it will attract lots of Short North hipsters and OSU people onto 4th St and make that part of NE IV and SW WP much more populated and active at night.

Things might be slow in the coming 3-4 months, but once spring arrives and people find it, it should work great. These slow months are the right time to get the brewery up and running. There’s no harm taking time ramping up brewing operations and getting the service activities ironed out as they are doing now.

16. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 10:20 am at 10:20 am

“I am a fan of the microbrewing scene here, but I just wonder about the location. Why pick a location that is so dead at night and so close to the ghetto? I’d love to see this place succeed, but I don’t see how they are going to get people to keep coming to that location.”
    Spoken like someone who’s spent zero time anywhere near that location. SJT is one street away, and is always busy. I was just there last night and it was elbow to elbow from 7:30 on. Brothers Drake is a block away on the other side and packed with people constantly too. It’s a block east of Surly Girl, Skully’s etc. You should get out a little more.

That said, I checked out this place last weekend. I was also a bit bummed to not be able to sample any Seventh Son brews, but I was super happy with the selections they’d chosen in the meantime. The space is absolutely FANTASTIC. That is going to be THE place to be when it’s warmer with those big garage doors open in the front and the huge open patio out back. Kudos, I say. There can never be enough places in this city to go get a great beer.

17. Gil Ligg December 21, 2012 10:52 am at 10:52 am

Okay, dismiss me, but mark my words, the location will have this place out of business in less than 2 years. St. James Taven barely stays afloat, well, at least that’s the word through the grapevine. And all those places you listed are on High St, which is a world away from 4th Street.

18. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 10:58 am at 10:58 am

Brothers Drake is not on High St. High St. is less than a 5 minute walk from all of the places mentioned here. I lived in between High and 4th St. and between 5th Ave. and Detroit for over 3 years, so I’m pretty familiar with the foot traffic around there, thanks. And again, anyone who suggests that SJT is struggling obviously never actually goes in there.

19. rustbelt
    rustbelt December 21, 2012 11:21 am at 11:21 am

I had no idea I live in “the ghetto”!

Perhaps, unlike yourself, many people do not get the vapors at the sight of a person of color or those driving cars older than 5 years.

20. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 11:39 am at 11:39 am

Lol at “the vapors” :) Nice.

21. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 11:40 am at 11:40 am

Oh…and as far as “people won’t keep coming to that location”…SJT has been there for over 15 years. So there’s that.

22. SJT
    SJT December 21, 2012 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm

Hahaha. I guess if you consider being in business for 16+ years& with sales increasing every year to be “struggling” than that is true (eye roll). I shall keep laughing all the way to the bank though. I am so glad that Seventh Son has opened& that they had the balls to open a business that’s *gasp* NOT on High Street. They will do just fine, no doubt in my mind. We will never be considered a “real” city until people stop acting like anything away from HIgh Street is “scary”. Ridiculous.

23. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 1:02 pm at 1:02 pm

Preach it, lady. <3

24. meltsintowonder
    meltsintowonder December 21, 2012 3:39 pm at 3:39 pm

I don’t think I’ll ever have the gonadicles to say in a public forum that a local business is going to fail. But when I’m hanging out with friends at favorite watering holes like the SJT, we’ll have these discussions.

A lot of the brewing businesses start off in this fashion to get some cash flow and figure out their recipes. Some brewing businesses have even been successful with average beer at best because of their guest tap rotation and atmosphere.

25. ToddAnders
    ToddAnders December 21, 2012 3:47 pm at 3:47 pm

As for the neighborhood, I’ve been in Italian Village and Weinland Park since 2001 as an active investor. If you are scared now, you have no idea how many leaps and bounds both of those neighborhoods have made. When I’m in town, I’ll take you to some really scary neighborhoods with zero upside.

As for the new business, again, I say, open up as a fully baked cake. Not 1/2 baked and come back in the summer when we REALLY are ready.

As a side note, a big congrats to SJT for 16 years in any business, especially the bar/restaurant business, that’s one hell of a feat!

26. efilsitra
    efilsitra December 21, 2012 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

I think ToddAnders does have a point, he’s not trying to hate I don’t think. Sounds like he’s just saying when you announce a place like a brewery it should…well have beer…that they brew. And the guy talking about the ghetto and a bad place to open a business? Um..like others have said so many great businesses really close by. Also isn’t THIS happening? http://www.columbusunderground.com/jeffrey-park-will-add-over-1300-new-residences-to-italian-village Tons of stuff is happening in Columbus and the smart thing to do is to invest in an area you know or at least predict will be pretty happening in a few years (there are already tons of people that live over there hungry for a space to hang..but I’m talking as far as retail and increased population in the next few years). Not to mention Wonder Bread lofts and so on. Man people do your research! I am super excited about this new space..I am still waiting on my Kickstarter Rewards though! :)

27. Gil Ligg December 21, 2012 7:46 pm at 7:46 pm

28. chaptal
    chaptal December 21, 2012 7:51 pm at 7:51 pm

“The ghetto remark was a joke..kind of…

And the backpedaling continues…

“So you people are telling me that you frequent the sketchy places all around 4th? I think not.

I saw that there used to be a bar on the corner of 3rd and Fifth across from the lock shop. What happened to it?”

It was a couple of bars, The Bristol then L’Etranger, both failed for many reasons, managerial mostly.

29. columbusdreamer December 21, 2012 8:15 pm at 8:15 pm

My wife and I just bought a place on 4th ave We can t wait to get to know the area better. Coming from New York we still wanted that urban vibe and walkability so im glad things are happening in all directions. I hope it s not ghetto because my wife hasn t even seen the place yet.I’m pretty sure though we”ll go to whomever has the better specials!

30. Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson December 21, 2012 9:03 pm at 9:03 pm

“The ghetto remark was a joke..kind of…So you people are telling me that you frequent the sketchy places all around 4th? I think not.”

Um. Yes. Yes we are saying that. I’ve been a SJT regular for years. I could see the Seventh Son location from my house. I go to Brothers Drake quite frequently. You sound like either a clueless rube or just a troll.

31. saywhat2
    saywhat2 December 22, 2012 9:42 am at 9:42 am

Looking forward to spotlight pieces on the Sunset Lounge and June-Bug’s Grown Folks Lounge, also in this area. Do many of you locals frequent these neighborhood joints?

32. dru
    dru December 22, 2012 9:36 pm at 9:36 pm

I am saying many of us live there. I am saying I was in the SJT on Thursday night with 7-8 dozen people, quite a few who are casual to frequent posters on this site. I am saying I’ve been going there for 12-years, I am saying I was in 7th Son last weekend with a few dozen other people, I am saying my neighbor rented it out for a birthday with several dozen people. I am saying you are completely clueless about the neighborhood with several $200-300k + homes that lie nearby, the history of the owners with successful businesses and bars, the loyalty to them for their past and current efforts or anything else about the initiative. You “think not,” which simply means you think wrong.

33. dru
    dru December 22, 2012 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm

Sunset has been closed for months. I have no idea if June Bugs is even open because it is 2-3 miles down 5th across 71. It’s not even relevant to the conversation, but I suspect that’s not the point.

34. saywhat2
    saywhat2 December 23, 2012 12:04 am at 12:04 am

That’s too bad, I heard the Sunset had a great jukebox. Meet ya at Exile? But let’s stop at the carryout on 11th and Summit first and discuss the relevancy of moustaches post-November….deal?

35. dru
    dru December 23, 2012 12:38 am at 12:38 am

Ah yes, we’ve bypassed the ghetto discussion and proceeded to gay and/or a hipster at a Marathon station.

36. beckiloar January 2, 2013 4:46 pm at 4:46 pm

well I have a few comments for some of the people on here, 1st I have been to this place and its BEAUTIFUL, its very obvious they have done a TON of work to this place. As far as location, not “ghetto” at all. I personally think its a great location and from the crouds I have seen at SS, its going to be a great HIT this summer when they can open the glass doors and party! Its one of the nicest brewerys I have been to. Great job to the owners and planners of this biz.
    Now to Mr Todd, well if you own and have started “however many business’ then you are aware of the start up costs, and how valuable good word of mouth is, maybe just maybe you should consider this before you spread you negative nonsence on any site! Support them or dont its up to you, but please spare us your ignorant words.
    “My first business I self financed with little fanfare; and every business after that. My money is always on the line. I don’t bs, I just bring it. I know everyone can be a critic, but come on, don’t hype something without having your sh** done”
    I as well started my only business with 100% MY money, and being a single mom of 3 was not easy, and yes obviously as an owner your money is always on the line(brillant observation sherlock), and hyping your business before you get everything 100% is smart, biz 101! selling another beer to generate money while brewing your own is VERY smart, now they will have regulars waiting for and coming back to get it! Geesh smh! And FYI making these kinds of posts and trying to brag about starting a few business’ does NOT make you look very business savy. IJS
    TOT LADY OUT!

37. swoop_truck January 3, 2013 10:35 am at 10:35 am

Well… I like it there. They sell great beer and it’s a cool place to hang. I’m excited for their beer to launch, but it’s not a hangup for me to hang there, or support them with my small business. They offer a lot. The James and seventh son are two of my favorite places to be in town. Maybe I feel safe cause I’m comfortable in the ghetto…