Renovation of 11th Avenue Row Houses to Start in Weinland Park

Brent Warren Brent Warren Renovation of 11th Avenue Row Houses to Start in Weinland Park

Work will begin soon on the renovation of 24 buildings on East 11th Avenue between Grant Avenue and North Fourth Street in Weinland Park. The project marks the first foray into market-rate housing in the neighborhood for Wagenbrenner Development, which has been heavily involved in the Weinland Park Collaborative’s revitalization efforts.

The company has acquired vacant lots and abandoned houses throughout the neighborhood and has also built new single family houses with income-eligibility requirements like those at the corner of Hamlet Street and 8th AvenueWagenbrenner is also hoping to start construction soon on new market-rate homes across from the former Columbus Coated Fabric’s site.

The buildings on 11th, which are mostly two-story row houses, are being marketed under the name Grant Commons. The project will feature 90 units and a total of 158 bedrooms. Rents will range from $695 for a 695 square-foot one-bedroom to $1,395 for a 1,300 square foot three-bedroom unit.

Michael Amicon of Wagenbrenner described the renovation work as a “complete rehab, down to the studs,” featuring new mechanicals, windows, kitchens and bathrooms. All units will also have washer/dryers, storage and off-street parking. Amicon said that they hope to have the first units available for rent early next spring.

Wagenbrenner received $3 million in Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credits to help offset the cost of the project.

More information can be found online at www.wagdev.com.

Photos by Walker Evans.

22 Responses to Renovation of 11th Avenue Row Houses to Start in Weinland Park

1. rory October 3, 2013 10:52 am at 10:52 am

The next award winning historic preservation project in Weinland Park and an asset to Ohio State’s gateway on 11th Avenue. Nice to see it getting started.

2. surber17 October 3, 2013 10:57 am at 10:57 am

I remember hearing about this a while ago and was excited for it. Good to see it happening.

Walker October 3, 2013 11:24 am at 11:24 am

Really great to see these buildings getting fixed up. Will be a really nice strip through here once it’s finished. When I previewed Brent’s story and saw that he said it was 24 buildings, I thought maybe it was a typo and it was 24 units. But then I went to take those photos this morning, and yeah… there’s 24 buildings through here. ;) Nice!

4. labi October 3, 2013 1:08 pm at 1:08 pm

These will look gorgeous when they’re done. Plus that whole stretch of 11th is going to be refurbished next year – repaved, new sidewalks, new street lighting and trees, the whole nine yards. I am really excited.

5. Jason Powell
    jpizzow October 3, 2013 1:56 pm at 1:56 pm

Great news and will really spruce up the eastern gateway. Now if only someone could tackle the commercial properties along 4th.

6. heresthecasey October 3, 2013 3:52 pm at 3:52 pm

+1 to everything already said.

This is really going to be an amazing transformation for this area.

7. funkdeezie October 3, 2013 4:39 pm at 4:39 pm

This looks great. My wife, some friends, and I walked through these blocks to/from parking before/after going to the fair and it felt like an eerie ghost town. I’m glad someone is changing that.

8. peanutnozone
    peanutnozone October 3, 2013 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

I was driving through here this past weekend, and was wondering if the boarded up windows meant demolition…Glad to know it’s not! As controversial as it may be, I think when weinland park, short north and campus gateway are spruced up it will be nice to be able to walk all through there without any worries as to safety. Hopefully the sprucing up won’t be to the detriment of any of the current residents.

Nice write-up!

9. MHJ October 3, 2013 8:47 pm at 8:47 pm

What’s really nice is the price! For all the folks complaining about housing being to expensive downtown: these are crazily affordable!

10. superglue October 4, 2013 12:34 am at 12:34 am

Wow this is great to hear! i used to live across the street from this strip back in 2001. Me and my roommates used to sit on the porch (we lived on the top floor of a two story duplex) and day dream about what we would do to those row houses if we ever won the lottery. So great to see this happening. it was very..VERY hood in that area. No one ever bothered us and actually made a few neighborhood associates during that time. i definitely saw some things at that store that used to be on the corner. Oh college lol.

So good to see this happening though. The makes me wanna dance :)

11. rocky67
    rocky67 October 4, 2013 1:10 am at 1:10 am

I know this has nothing to do with the above article, but I was just recently in Philadelphia Sept. 20th-23rd to see the Pet Shop Boys in concert and I noticed there were many retail stores such as Armani Exchange and Diesel around Walnut Street and wondered if the Short North or other areas of Downtown would ever get more retail or clothing stores? We actually need a large retailer such as Macys. Any insight??

Walker October 4, 2013 6:53 am at 6:53 am

@rocky67 – Your question is probably better suited for this discussion on the messageboard:

13. AmyArt21
    AmyArt21 October 4, 2013 7:37 am at 7:37 am

It’s great to hear about these places being rehabbed. I just drove by yesterday and was thinking how sad that street feels with all the abandoned homes.

I hear people are getting excited about these places being so “affordable” – but the thing to think about is – affordable to WHOM?

If a couple with a child wants to rent the 3-bedroom place, here’s a simple math problem.
    Adult #1 has a 40 hr/wk job that pays $10/hr. That’s $1600/month but more like $1000/month after taxes.
    Adult #2 has a 40 hr/wk job that pays $12/hr. That’s $1920/month and about $1280 after taxes.
    (The min. wage in Ohio is $7.58, so these hourly rates are actually pretty “good-paying” jobs in comparison).

Total after-tax household income for the family of 3 = $2280.
    If rent is $1395 a month, that leaves little left for other expenses.

The general rule is that you should not spend more than 30% of your annual income on housing.
    So for a place that costs $1395 a month, the people renting it should have a combined annual take-home pay of $55,800. Affordable for 3 adult roommates. Not affordable for 2 adults making less than $580 each a week (that’s after taxes).

A person needs to be making over $20/hr before taxes to afford to split this place!

It’s out of my reach, that’s for sure.

Compared to the housing prices downtown, yes this is affordable.
    But affordable in general? There are better options in Columbus.

Walker October 4, 2013 9:08 am at 9:08 am

I’m sure they’ll be affordable to the parents of OSU students. ;)

15. MHJ October 4, 2013 10:02 am at 10:02 am

@AmyArt21: A couple things:

(1) My point is that even some middle-class professionals feel priced out of living in all the luxury apartments being built downtown and in the Short North. These are much more affordable to that type of household than what’s being built downtown.

(2) A couple with one child….would theoretically rent a 2-bedroom, not a 3-bedroom. Because, you know, they only need 2 bedrooms, and it seems that a 2-bedroom would run $1000/month, which would be affordable to a middle-class household, if not to the working class example you proposed (which, as you suggested, has opportunities elsewhere in the city).

16. JaredThompson October 4, 2013 10:03 am at 10:03 am

@AmyArt21 – Forgoing the psychological price of $1395, for $1400 a month a family could purchase a great home in that area.

17. somebuckeye October 4, 2013 6:23 pm at 6:23 pm

Row houses are great, I wish Columbus had more of them. They have a bad reputation countrywide, however. I remember reading an article about Ariel Castro’s former house in Cleveland being called a “ramshackle row house” when it was in fact a detached house. I also find it ironic that the typical suburban tract house with no windows on the sides that the row house-haters often live in is basically a detached row house.

18. Brent Warren
    Brent Warren October 4, 2013 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm

Here’s a really nice article on the Columbus row house;

19. rocky67
    rocky67 October 5, 2013 12:28 am at 12:28 am

I think it’s totally great that they are completely renovating these places and it’s long time overdue, however I remember living over on E. 13th Ave back in the late 80′s and that area even now is very dangerous and questionable area. I can’t imagine for safety reasons living over there? I think cleaning up Weinland Park and improving the living conditions is long overdue and definitely in much need. I know Campus partners have done an excellent job of cleaning up and improving the area. Who might live here?? College students?? Lower-income public housing?? I just can’t see an educated young professional living over here?? You’d have to be a true “Urban Pioneer”…..LOL.

20. coolbuckeye October 6, 2013 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm

Um…Your assumptions about who would choose to live in WP are based on when you lived here in the late 80′s? I’m a professional and I love living in a diverse walkable neighborhood. My block has had less crime than my parents neighborhood up in Worthington.

It took me years to make the commitment to buy and I’m glad I did it in WP. Stop by the neighborhood and enjoy the park one of these days and you will see its not as bad as it once was in the 80′s.

21. Eugene_C October 17, 2013 2:14 pm at 2:14 pm

I used to ride past these on the bus pretty frequently. I’ve always thought it was an underutilized neighborhood. It could be pretty great. It could make 11th Ave something of a showcase corridor from High to the Fairgrounds and maybe someday eventually to the transportation center at 11th and Cleveland.

22. Ned23 October 22, 2013 10:32 am at 10:32 am

You’ve got prime business space right on 4th street near 11th that could be revitalized by this gentrification. Full service by the #8, and #4 buses makes for fast mobility to and from downtown. A little rough on game Saturdays and during the State Fair, but that’s part of the energy of the area. All in all not a bad project.