Phillip’s Coney Island to be Reborn in The Short North

Walker Evans Walker Evans Phillip’s Coney Island to be Reborn in The Short North

Phillip’s Coney Island has been a Short North staple for over sixty years, and a new chapter for the restaurant will begin later this summer when new owners Randy and Tina Corbin reopen the space with business partner Karmen Dann.

“We started looking at the restaurant almost 10 months ago when we heard that it was for sale,” says Tina Corbin. “We’ve been in that neighborhood for awhile with The Rossi, and previously with Press Grill. The Short North is still booming, and we have an affection for older places with a bit of history, so it seemed like a natural fit to look into.”

Initially, the Corbins walked away from Phillip’s uninterested as the previous owners had a stipulation that new owners could not sell alcohol in the building. Several months later, the old owners changed their mind and said that they would allow for a beer and wine license, which will be one of several updates expected this year.

“We’re cleaning up the place cosmetically and adding a new soundproof ceiling,” says Tina. “We want to continue doing coney dogs, but will add a few other new unique items to the menu, as well as some rotating specials.”

Phillip’s Coney Island is expected to be closed for renovations through August 2012.

19 Responses to Phillip’s Coney Island to be Reborn in The Short North

1. VicVillage Guy
    VicVillage Guy April 27, 2012 10:50 am at 10:50 am

I hope they consider adding Chicago style hot dogs to their menu.

2. leftovers April 27, 2012 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm

This is one of the few remaining ‘non-happy hour’ places to get cheap eats in the SN. I hope that the general pricing doesn’t change too much.

3. Cody Holland
    c0dyh April 27, 2012 1:04 pm at 1:04 pm

If the new owners read this thread. I would like to suggest a veggie dog option. I would go out of my way to eat here in order to avoid the wait at Dirty Franks.

4. FoodFort April 27, 2012 2:03 pm at 2:03 pm

Also hoping for a cool name so that people do not continue to confuse the two Phillips locations.

Walker April 27, 2012 2:09 pm at 2:09 pm

Sounds like they’re planning on keeping the name the same. If it wasn’t a problem for the past 60 years, then why would it start being a problem now? ;)

6. pmgal
    pmgal April 27, 2012 2:39 pm at 2:39 pm

I would love to see a simple breakfast menu. Two eggs, toast, coffee – for under $5. The greasy spoons are one of the things I miss most.

7. Stephen43215
    Stephen43215 April 27, 2012 7:28 pm at 7:28 pm

I like this place for a quick lunch..hopfully the prices dont change much, we still need a few hole in the wall type places in the SN.

8. drawrobot
    drawrobot April 27, 2012 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm

A while back I go into Zeta’s and they tell me they stopped making gyro’s and to go next door to Phillip’s Coney Island. So I go in there and order one and it was the worst gyro I’ve had to date. Slow service despite me being the only person in the place. I swear they substituted cottage cheese for feta. Never been back there since. I’ll definitely give it another try in light of this news. (Will probably still avoid the gyro though.)

9. bucki12 April 27, 2012 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm

good cheap eats, hope they don’t change too much.

10. Mod-dude
    Mod-dude April 28, 2012 8:23 am at 8:23 am

we still need a few hole in the wall type places in the SN.

11. MHJ April 28, 2012 10:02 am at 10:02 am

Anybody who’s been to Detroit knows those aren’t real coneys. LOL.

Walker April 28, 2012 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm

Why let another city dictate what’s enjoyable to eat?

13. Oak April 30, 2012 3:59 pm at 3:59 pm

drawbot +1
    I thought that place was the worst “restaurant” in the short north. Slow and the food was gross. I ate there once, but wouldn’t twice. I’ll try out the new owners and hopefully they’ve made positive changes.
    A great hot dog place that would have done great there would be O’Betty’s Red Hot! from Athens. I eat there at least once a month when I’m in Athens for business. Fantastic.

14. rdmeeker
    rdmeeker May 1, 2012 11:26 am at 11:26 am

I remember going with one grandmother in the early 80′s when she lived on Second Ave and going back with the other grandmother a few times in the fast few years so she could get some “normal” coneys. I have mixed feeling about the change; there’s a lot of history in that Phillip’s, but the quality seems to have gone downhill more recently.

I’m hopeful that the new owners won’t abandon the history as they upgrade, but I agree that an upgrade is needed. I don’t think we need another Dirty Frank’s-style place. Let DF open a second (and third and fourth) location. Keep Phillip’s in the style of Phillip’s.

Specifically, please don’t lose the slaw dog (with classic cole slaw!). It was the best slaw dog in town.

15. beersie1 May 1, 2012 3:17 pm at 3:17 pm

+1 on the breakfast option! Little known fact (I think it is, at least)- Phillips Coney Island actually would serve you breakfast if you asked. Usually just eggs and toast, but still.. Lived above here for a couple years and loved stopping in. I always imagined it re-opening as a greasy spoon breakfast joint. Regardless, glad it’s getting a second go ’round!

16. jcookou July 9, 2012 4:07 pm at 4:07 pm

Anybody heard anything about Coney Island? Haven’t seen an update in a while…Wasn’t sure if there was a planned opening date they were shooting for…

17. jcookou January 15, 2013 11:13 am at 11:13 am

No updates on this project? I know it’s the same owner’s as Club 185, Rossi, etc…Looking forward to having this spot open again…

Walker January 15, 2013 12:22 pm at 12:22 pm

I’ve been checking in every month or so… sounds like its going slower than expected, but still moving forward.

19. jcookou April 17, 2013 11:29 am at 11:29 am

Looks like some new branding just went up in the windows here…I like the logo/design work…Does anybody know if they’re planning on having a beer/liquor license or if there’s a proposed open date?