One-Dollar Bus Trips to Chicago Starting in April

Walker Evans Walker Evans

According to an article in the dispatch over the weekend, megabus.com is going to start offering roundtrip tickets from Columbus to Chicago in April for as little as $1. That’s right… ONE DOLLAR. The trip also includes a stop in Indianapolis.

The bus terminal will most likely be located at COTA’s north terminal downtown at the corner of Spring & Wall streets. Tickets will only be available for purchase online.

19 Responses to One-Dollar Bus Trips to Chicago Starting in April

Walker March 27, 2006 11:48 am at 11:48 am

Link to full article

2. honavery March 27, 2006 2:52 pm at 2:52 pm

Very interesting. I have family in Indy, and friends in Chicago. Plus my car sucks!

Walker March 27, 2006 3:18 pm at 3:18 pm

Even if you have a nice car, this is much cheaper than paying for gas. 8) A bit slower, but it’s very nice to be getting this cheap alternative to driving or flying.

4. Anne Evans
    Anne March 27, 2006 4:00 pm at 4:00 pm

That sounds awesome! Will definitely be checking this out!!

5. Anne Evans
    Anne March 27, 2006 4:39 pm at 4:39 pm

wow. i just priced out a weekend, leaving fri 11:50p. arrive chicago

6:15a on sat leaving chicago 10:45p sun, return col 7:15a for 18.50! for two people. that sounds crazy! :) and it would be

overnight so you could just sleep on the bus, get there sat. do

museums all day and stay over night, do stuff sun and then leave. sounds great!

And it only makes 2 stops…one in Cincinnati, and one in Indianapolis.

Sounds like a really good deal. Now I just wonder how nice the buses are! haha

6. Big_Ben March 27, 2006 5:09 pm at 5:09 pm

Yeah, I was thinking with a deal like this a weekend in Chicago just became very affordable.

7. brothermarcus
    brothermarcus March 27, 2006 5:48 pm at 5:48 pm

I’m definitely into this! seems so much cheaper, more convenient than trying to get a short flight… less expensive than greyhound.

8. Big_Ben March 27, 2006 6:48 pm at 6:48 pm

Check out a Thursday night, return on Sunday night trip. You can get it for $2 a person. Means you have to get a room for Friday night but that gives you 3 days in Chicago though.

9. shy_999
    shy_999 March 28, 2006 11:24 am at 11:24 am

I priced it for leaving April 14 and arriving at home April 17. Then I looked up hotel information. It would be $32.50 for the bus (not bad at all… and it’s all during the day since I can’t sleep on buses), $130 +tax for the 3 night hotel stay, and then I figured in about $100 in spending money. That’s a great little trip for less than $300! Unfortunatly, we can’t find a babysitter. We are going to try again for sometime around our anniversary :D

~ME

10. Big_Ben March 29, 2006 1:30 am at 1:30 am

Would be something to do for a weekend :p

11. jwing March 29, 2006 9:33 am at 9:33 am

That would be pretty cool except you would have to find a place to shower and you would have to carry your clothes around the whole time.

12. AcrossTheSea March 29, 2006 10:03 am at 10:03 am

Big_Ben wrote I was just playing around with the site. If you leave Columbus on a Thursday night, get to Chicago Friday morning, spend all day Friday in Chicago, go to Minneapolis Friday night, spend Saturday in Minn, back to Chicago Saturday night or Sunday morning, back to Columbus on Sunday, you will spend $4 per person and never have to rent a hotel room if you sleep on the bus.

Would be something to do for a weekend :p

lol, I’ve been out of college for just over a year and a half, and this already sounds like more than I’d be willing to put up with. Just charge me the $100-something for a good hotel =)

13. Boyd
    Boyd March 29, 2006 10:36 am at 10:36 am

you can get good hotels in the city for a respectable price. Teresa and I stayed downtown about a month or two ago for extremely reasonable pricing. We were close enough to walk down to Michigan Ave (magnificent mile) area and our cab ride to the hotel from the Zentra club area was only $18.00 (not bad for city cab prices). I think we were at a Holiday Inn in the business district, kinda by University of Chicago. If anyone is interested in the actual hotel info just PM me and I’ll track it down for you.

Walker May 24, 2006 10:40 am at 10:40 am

Discount bus service fails to draw riders in Columbus

U.K.-based megabus.com will stop service to Chicago June 5

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Paul Wilson

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

A bus service between Columbus and Chicago with rates as low as $1 starts in April. How long does it take before the service is canceled?

If you answered less than two months, you’d be right.

megabus.com, which began carrying passengers between several Midwestern cities and Chicago on April 10, will end service in central Ohio on June 5.

Service from Chicago to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Detroit, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis and St. Louis will continue amid growing interest. But only about a quarter as many passengers used megabus.com from Columbus than in the company’s next-smallest markets, said Dale Moser, president and chief operating officer of the Stagecoach Group, megabus.com’s United Kingdom-based parent.

“It wasn’t as successful as we had hoped when all of the other cities have just had very, very strong demand,” he said. “We haven’t come up with any one reason why (Columbus) has not done well.”

I don’t think I ever saw a single advertisement for this service. And almost every person I mentioned it to had never heard anything about it. I’m not sure if they had the same lack of marketing in other cities, but I don’t know how this could do well anywhere when you don’t tell anyone about it…

15. honavery May 24, 2006 11:08 am at 11:08 am

Dammit.

I was seriously considering taking this soon.

Major bummer, stupid Columbus.

16. Brewmaster
    Brewmaster May 24, 2006 1:02 pm at 1:02 pm

Maybe they’ll start up again now that they made the front page of the Dispatch business section. I bet all sorts of people are saying the same thing as honavery now that they know about it. :lol:

17. Big_Ben May 24, 2006 6:28 pm at 6:28 pm

Yeah, now that they have some exposure they should see how it goes. I know I was interested in it, just needed to find a time to go.

18. honavery May 25, 2006 12:09 am at 12:09 am

Yeah, why didn’t they just cut back to weekends or something?

19. shy_999
    shy_999 June 5, 2006 2:46 pm at 2:46 pm

Dagnabit!! Bill and I were going to try to get something together for the end of June! Oh well…

~ME