Civics / Politics

Ohio abortions decline, at lowest level since 1976

Walker Evans Walker Evans

The Dispatch wrote Ohio abortions decline, at lowest level since 1976

Monday, November 10, 2008

BY CATHERINE CANDISKY

The number of abortions performed in Ohio continues to fall. In 2007, 30,859 pregnancies were terminated, down more than 6 percent from the previous year and the lowest number since the state began keeping statistics in 1976.

A report by the Ohio Department of Health shows abortions have been declining since 2000, when 38,140 were performed.

Ohio continues to have a lower rate of abortions than the national average. According to the state report, Ohio’s abortion rate was 192 abortions per 1,000 live births in 2007, compared with a U.S. rate of 241 per 1,000 live births in 2004, the latest national figures available.

13 Responses to Ohio abortions decline, at lowest level since 1976

1. playindagamewell November 12, 2008 9:48 am at 9:48 am

i never realized the number was that high.. thats about 85 a day :shock:

i guess good that it’s declining.. people are “Trying” to be smart about sex.

Walker November 12, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am

playindagamewell wrote i never realized the number was that high.. thats about 85 a day :shock:

I don’t think that sounds that high when you consider it’s for the whole state. That’s around 1 per county per day.

I agree that it’s good that it’s declining.

3. berdawn November 12, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am

Walker wrote

I agree that it’s good that it’s declining.

Prevention would be better, but there are also not a lot of health centers in surrounding states that perform abortions. WV, KY, PA have few resources.

4. JonMyers November 12, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am

I wonder if the murder and crime rate has risen an equal proportion?

5. Bear
    Bear November 12, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am

6. shmack
    shmack November 12, 2008 12:00 pm at 12:00 pm

Bear wrote annoying… they keep jumping back and forth between the decline in the number of abortions in Ohio and the relatively low abortion rate in Ohio relative to other states. I don’t see anything that directly answers the question that I think most people would like to have answered — namely, whether the abortion rate (abortions per thousand live births) is actually going down. The number of abortions would go down even if the number of births goes down and the abortion rate stays constant (or, within limits, goes up).

thanks for clarifying, monsieur stats geek!

7. michaelcoyote November 12, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm

Yeah, i hate how reporters will cite these things in a way that essentially makes them worthless. at this point all they’re doing is generating column inches and a headline, not actually informing anyone.. This happens all the time and noone seems to notice or care. Bleh!

8. jamesm November 12, 2008 2:32 pm at 2:32 pm

Bear wrote namely, whether the abortion rate (abortions per thousand live births) is actually going down.

For that you can go straight to the report cited.

Which I couldn’t find, but I could find the 2006 report.

The stats show that the rate of abortions to live births has been fairly constant over 15 years, with a small amount of decline. (Figure 4) We seem to waver in an area of 205 to 225 abortions per 1000 live births.

Walker wrote That’s around 1 per county per day.

You could look at it that way, but counties are both unequal in population and only 8 counties have facilities to perform abortions. So the rates vary wildly.

Walker November 12, 2008 2:51 pm at 2:51 pm

jamesm wrote
    Walker wrote That’s around 1 per county per day.

Of course. My point was simply that this is spread out over a state of 11Million+ people.

10. berdawn November 14, 2008 1:59 pm at 1:59 pm

JonMyers wrote I wonder if the murder and crime rate has risen an equal proportion?

someone’s been reading Freakonomics :)

11. JonMyers November 15, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am

berdawn wrote

someone’s been reading Freakonomics :)

I enjoy reading Levitt’s blog. My version of watching TV. :)

12. KSquared November 15, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm

Edit – should have read the entrie thread before posting :)

13. misskitty November 20, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm

This is interesting It could mean that people have finally figured out what birth control is or that there are more babies just on the way. I see in the article that unplanned pregnancy’s are on the rise so I guess birth control is out.

politics categories