Need some tips on how to not get caught speeding?

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Need help in developing a strategy to illegally speed on the highways in Central Ohio without getting caught? Well, The Dispatch is here to help you today with their article “How fast is too fast?“, which gives you the inside scoop on how to avoid tickets.

Some tips from the Dispatch include staying away from several heavily-patrolled hotspots, only going 9 mph over the speed limit, and being extra careful with your speeding during specific timeframes such as the evening rush hour, weekends, and the month of May.

Of course, a lot of this is either common sense or at least commonly-known amongst most drivers, but it’s still awfully nice of the Dispatch to take the time to do some added research to help support these tips for helping folks to speed without getting caught.

You can read the full article here.

Related Story:

- Columbus traffic congestion ranks 48th in US

46 Responses to Need some tips on how to not get caught speeding?

1. Rockmastermike October 5, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am

Ya know… I used to speed like all hell. I’ve had my car up over 100 on several occasions (mostly in other states… the big square ones).

Nowadays I just can’t justify (even to myself) using the extra gas.

2. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 5, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm

heres a tip…. dont speed. easier said than done for me.

3. blammo
    blammo October 5, 2008 1:02 pm at 1:02 pm

4. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 5, 2008 1:18 pm at 1:18 pm

blammo wrote Don’t even think about getting a motorcycle either. I thought I got it all out of my system in my 20′s…wrong.

yeah i thought i got it all out in my teens, but i have more resources now to really do what i want to do with project cars. so yeah it only gets worse with age. even near death crashes haven’t slowed me down. :shock:

5. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 5, 2008 1:20 pm at 1:20 pm

6. blammo
    blammo October 5, 2008 1:26 pm at 1:26 pm

CDS sherman wrote and ive been screaming around the neighborhood on a YSR all weekend. that thing is a blast.

I’m picking a YSR up this week! You guys should come down to the races in Circleville on the 18th…I’m going to be in my first race ever. It should be “interesting”.

Maybe the cure for speeding on the roads is to actually get involved in motorsports…we’ll see!

7. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 5, 2008 1:34 pm at 1:34 pm

blammo wrote

yeah we were thinking about. pat wants to go, i dont mind racing cars on a track but i have no experience racing bikes. get it all out on the track.

8. Roland
    Roland October 5, 2008 1:42 pm at 1:42 pm

This was a nice thread to read before heading out on a motorcycle ride!

9. blammo
    blammo October 5, 2008 1:46 pm at 1:46 pm

10. Roland
    Roland October 5, 2008 1:49 pm at 1:49 pm

blammo wrote I just destroyed my backyard with a few hot laps on the KTM…time to do a little urban dual-sporting! you up for it roland?

Hey! Yeah… I was going to go south east but I’ll swing by your place first.

11. blammo
    blammo October 5, 2008 1:52 pm at 1:52 pm

cool! Me & Lauren are just gonna dick around town 2-up & then watch racing from 3-7. so maybe we can do a little warm up & chase the homeless around the arena district.

12. blammo
    blammo October 5, 2008 3:15 pm at 3:15 pm

Well THAT was a blast! This is the most fun thread ever! Yaaay Dispatch!

13. Tigertree
    Tigertree October 5, 2008 5:25 pm at 5:25 pm

I’m really good about not speeding when I am in my car. I am a little worried about myself when my CC’s triple from scooter to motorcycle.

14. ARH October 5, 2008 6:11 pm at 6:11 pm

15. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 5, 2008 7:08 pm at 7:08 pm

ARH wrote Speed limits are in place for a reason, especially on city streets. Safety of people in cars, pedestrians, children, animals, cyclists, and anyone else out in neighborhoods. Don’t speed. It doesn’t get you there any faster anyway.

sure it does. i get places tons faster when i speed and and cut down side streets…. thats why we do it.

16. lifeontwowheels October 5, 2008 7:09 pm at 7:09 pm

I’m going to grab the popcorn. This thread might start to get interesting.

17. Motorist
    Motorist October 5, 2008 8:01 pm at 8:01 pm

FYI, there is almost always a cop sitting on I-71 in between mile markers 189-190 between Columbus and Cleveland. I’ve been driving to Cleveland a lot in the past year and someone is sitting there 9 times out of 10. The 1 time in 10 they aren’t sitting there, they are sitting up the road writing a ticket.

18. Roland
    Roland October 5, 2008 8:03 pm at 8:03 pm

My favorite riding speed is around 45 mph. On two-lane roads. Middle of nowhere. No destination. Ahh… two-wheeled therapy :lol:

19. lifeontwowheels October 5, 2008 8:32 pm at 8:32 pm

Motorist wrote I think the numbers in that article can’t be much good. How many people have had a speeding ticket knocked down so that you could get the lower fine? I’ll bet a lot of those 80 mph tickets were for a lot higher than that and the cops are saving the drivers money and themselves paperwork.

A few years ago I blew through a stop sign along the back roads of Pickerington doing 45-50 at 2-3 AM (I swear I never saw the sign). Of course the cop is sitting there and I get pulled over. For the hell of it I went to the court date and sat around for an hour and a half waiting to talk to the city lawyer. She ended up bumping my violation down to a non-moving muffler/noise violation because I had a fairly clean record.

20. VictorianGate October 5, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm

You really wonder here why people dislike cops. Maybe it’s because they cry and moan they are always understaffed, yet I see them on the side of 670 day after day clocking speed (harassing citizens). What difference does it make if you go 64 or 65, practically speaking? As long as they are wasting their resources clocking speed, I’ll never vote for a single increase for anything that affects them.

21. Nate
    Nate October 5, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm

Motorist wrote

I can attest to this since I grew up in Ashland. If I remember right, they did a study a couple years back on the amount of tickets given out on I-71 in each county and Ashland was #1 by far. Richland county is pretty bad too. I’ve seen 3-4 troopers in a mile stretch all writing tickets (mostly to unsuspecting, out-of-state drivers).

I always remind my wife’s family not to speed through there when they come to visit.

22. JohnWirtz October 5, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm

VictorianGate wrote You really wonder here why people dislike cops. Maybe it’s because they cry and moan they are always understaffed, yet I see them on the side of 670 day after day clocking speed (harassing citizens). What difference does it make if you go 64 or 65, practically speaking? As long as they are waisting their resources clocking speed, I’ll never vote for a single increase for anything that affects them.

Interesting perspective. Living in a place where speed limits are widely ignored far more than in Ohio, I feel the exact opposite. I won’t voluntarily give the police more money until they start utilizing their resources to enforce speed limits.

23. Paul
    Paul October 6, 2008 1:51 am at 1:51 am

Motorist wrote Also, I don’t think Super Trooper there is making the roads any safer if he is going 100+ mph to catch people.

How else is he supposed to catch up to someone going that fast?

He’s trained to go that fast, and it’s part of his job description. He does it in a vehicle designed to go that speed safely which is religiously maintained. He does it for a short period of time, most likely with his lights on, with all his focus on his driving.

It’s a lot different from Joe Schmoe just deciding to rip down the freeway at 100+mph.

The difference between 64 and 65 is minimal, but obviously the line has to be drawn somewhere. If you keep it to a reasonable speed, there is no reason you should ever be pulled over. They are not out to get you.

Police are necessary to patrol and clock speeders because if they didn’t do it, progressively the roads would become less and less safe as people realized they could push it to 80, 85, 90, 95mph, etc. Give people an inch and they’ll take a mile. Then you have someone idiot driving a 91 Sentra who flies down 670 going 115mph because he’s confident he won’t get caught and he plows into someone who is changing lanes in front of him with no signal. That would be nice.

I don’t dislike cops at all. I like them a lot. I’ve been pulled over around 40 times and all but 2 of them were pleasant experiences (considering). He (or she) is just a person doing their job, serving their community, and almost without exception treating me with courtesy and respect. It’s a tough, thankless job and I respect people who do it and do it with conviction and honor.

To say that you don’t support any increase for anything regarding law enforcement because you feel there are too many traffic cops is simply preposterous. They’re certainly not going to reduce the number of traffic cops, and with number of fatal crashes in Ohio at over 1100 annually, it is still a very important issue.

People need to get over the concept that traffic enforcement is a waste (waist?) or that the police are just out to harass people. It’s juvenile and misguided, to say the least.

24. VictorianGate October 6, 2008 2:47 am at 2:47 am

Well I could probably debate the topic speed limits for many moons.. But the basic thing that comes down to my stance is that Germany’s autobahn fatality rate is actually lower than the U.S fatality rate per billion km driven. Cite: http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.htm This fact leads me to question why in our country, the one supposedly inclined to pursue the maximum amount of freedom possible for its people, isn’t reevaluating the current system. It doesn’t add up. I think the only thing that does add up is the money the government and insurance companies make every time you get a ticket. Wait.. was that 64, or 65? What’s the big deal? I realize that we can’t go to this system right off the bat, but moving towards reform involving intensive driver training, difficult licensing tests, eliminating cell phone use while driving, and implementing new driving rules (i.e passing on left only for a start) would be a step in the right direction. If we could get rid of even 1/2 of the cops sitting there clocking speed wasting your tax dollars and resources (yes he is out to get you.. what do you think he is doing?), and have him do something useful, such as serving warrants and cleaning up the streets.. what an improvement!

In the meantime, you may spot me blowing by you on 670 in my meticulously maintained speed machine (not a crown victoria maintained by a goverment employee.)

25. Paul
    Paul October 6, 2008 3:18 am at 3:18 am

I agree with you regarding the autobahn. It is more safe that our freeways, but it’s not because they’re allowed to speed, it’s because of all of the restrictions that are placed on drivers and all of the laws that are enforced vehemently.

And you hit the nail on the head with the fact that it’s a completely different culture over there. The driver training and laws for operating a vehicle, apart from just the mentality of the drivers.

But that’s just the point, that culture exists there and realistically it could never exist here.

I should point out that it’s only certain stretches of the autobahn that have unlimited speed. Places where there is contsruction or a lot of interchanges it’s about the same speed limits as in the US.

I’m completely with you on the passing on the left. If everyone did that, and people stayed out of the left lane that weren’t passing, there would be much better traffic flow and fewer accidents.

I definitely disagree that speed limits are designed and imposed so that the government and insurance companies can make money. That’s just the whine of someone who doesn’t like a law and looks to discredit it based on flimsy conjecture.

In the US it’s no secret that speed kills. Last year almost 1 in 6 fatal accidents were caused by unsafe speed. With failure to control being the primary contributing factor in another 15% of fatal crashes. Hundreds more deaths every year in Ohio are prevented because of the laws that are in place and enforced on our freeways.

VictorianGate wrote (yes he is out to get you.. what do you think he is doing?)

I guess one thing we intrinsically disagree on, is the paranoid view you have that someone doing their job ethically, enforcing the law, is ‘out to get you.’ I feel like if I operate within the bounds I’m fine, and if I push it too much then I’m asking for it. I don’t project any of my faults onto someone else to account for their consequences.

As far as you blowing by me on 670. It’s possible. It all comes down to the George Carlin quote, “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”

26. Manatee
    Manatee October 6, 2008 8:13 am at 8:13 am

Tee-hee, why can’t I, personally, go as fast as I want, all the time?

Walker October 6, 2008 8:40 am at 8:40 am

VictorianGate wrote Germany’s autobahn fatality rate is actually lower than the U.S fatality rate per billion km driven. Cite: http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/autobahn.htm

Paul already pointed out that many parts of the Autobahn have speed limits. The site you linked to specifically states the speed limits areas include: “dangerous curves, in urban areas, near major interchanges, or with unusually constant heavy traffic”.

Sounds like all of 670 to me.

28. joev
    joev October 6, 2008 8:41 am at 8:41 am

This is probably not true of Germans 65 years ago, but these days, Germans tend to care more about their fellow man than Americans do.

If you’re ever driving on Route 30 between Mansfield and Canton, the whole stretch inside Wayne County is a speed trap. Especially in the speed trappy town of Dalton. Where the speed limit shifts about 4 times in 2 miles.

I’ve been pulled over a fair number of times, but if you’re very respectful (saying ma’am or sir, and sincerely say you didn’t know how fast you were going, but are very sorry) more likely than not, you’ll not get that ticket. I’ve been pulled over about 6 ot 7 times, but only got 2 tickets. I usually go about 6 or 7 mph over the limit on long stretches of freeway, but don’t speed on city streets or country roads.

29. Ndcent
    Ndcent October 6, 2008 8:56 am at 8:56 am

VictorianGate wrote I realize that we can’t go to this system right off the bat, but moving towards reform involving intensive driver training, difficult licensing tests, eliminating cell phone use while driving, and implementing new driving rules (i.e passing on left only for a start) would be a step in the right direction.

All true.

People in this country feel a drivers license is a right, when it’s a privlege.

A drivers license should come with extensive and involved licensing testing, hell even an IQ test.

(I also think you should have to pass some measure of IQ test to be able to vote.)

(I also, also think airlines should charge fat people more, but thats way off topic.)

30. columbus native October 6, 2008 9:02 am at 9:02 am

lets see here are my ways!

1. don’t speed

2. ride a bike

3. beg for a rail car

4. oh yeah and don’t speed

31. misskitty October 6, 2008 9:20 am at 9:20 am

when I am driving out of town or on long freeway trips I speed a lot not insanely but if the limit is 65 i will go 75 .

lets not forget a lot of states have higher speed limits so I guess it really breaks down to personal responsibility. I try not to speed in the city just cause the tickets are a lot.

interesting fact : did you know if you get pulled over in Montana you can pay the fine right there at the sceen ? you can

I got a ticket once coming into downtown on spring the cop actually jumped in front of my car he is lucky I have a good reaction time ! I got 1 ticket for speeding 50 in a 35

1 for reckless ops .

I went to court and fought it tooth and nail I won

and a few months later that speed limit changed to 45 mph LOL

32. Motorist
    Motorist October 6, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am

Paul wrote

How else is he supposed to catch up to someone going that fast?

Come on, that’s like saying that all cops are in peak physical condition because of how demanding their jobs are and the need to chase down perps. And we’ve all seen enough cops to know thats not the case.

What happens when the cop is flying down 270 going 104mph because he’s confident that everyone sees and hears his lights and siren and he plows into someone who is changing lanes in front of him with no signal. That would be nice.

33. Cyclist October 6, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm

Please don’t speed.

Its as dangerous as a loaded gun.

Part of this week’s Dispatch series on getting away with destructive and harmful behaviors.

Tuesday: How to Enroll your neighbors in a pyramid scheme.

Wednesday: How to beat your wife and get away with it!

Thursday: How to use propaganda and fear to strip people of their civil rights

Friday: 10 Tip to sell babies on the black market.

Saturday: Game Day Special: Making fake OSU tickets to sell to suckers! [/i]

34. blammo
    blammo October 6, 2008 12:50 pm at 12:50 pm

Cyclist wrote Please don’t speed.

Its as dangerous as a loaded gun.

Tuesday: How to Enroll your neighbors in a pyramid scheme.

Wednesday: How to beat your wife and get away with it!

Thursday: How to use propaganda and fear to strip people of their civil rights

Friday: 10 Tip to sell babies on the black market.

Saturday: Game Day Special: Making fake OSU tickets to sell to suckers!

I may have to buy a paper this week for the first time in about 10 years.

35. Coremodels October 6, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm

Speeding 101

1. If you’re on 270…don’t do it.

2. If you’re on a road trip, find a pace car. This will be the guy driving faster than every one else, and if you’re lucky, someone will fall in ahead of you to also follow…and behind you to do the same. This creates a “buffer zone” of speeding, that allows you to be pretty much bullet proof from cops. Cop behind? Gets your tail. Cop ahead? gets the pace car.

I did about 90 almost the entire way back from Florida, made it in sick time, using this style of driving.

p.s. I don’t speed in town at all though, only on freeways.

36. GasGuzzler October 6, 2008 1:30 pm at 1:30 pm

37. michaelcoyote October 6, 2008 1:37 pm at 1:37 pm

columbus native wrote

2. ride a bike

Totally got busted on a bike once doing 27 in a 25 by an MP while riding thru El Presidio de San Francisco back when the Army owned it. Those guys sucked… But those hills were so much fun to ride…

38. Tigertree
    Tigertree October 6, 2008 1:47 pm at 1:47 pm

Paul wrote

I think you meant Joe Six-pack

39. enzo
    enzo October 6, 2008 2:03 pm at 2:03 pm

Speeding in town is so unnecessary and dangerous. If you need to speed, go to Mid-Ohio race park or some private property or go sky diving for speedy thrill.

40. CDS sherman
    CDS sherman October 6, 2008 3:31 pm at 3:31 pm

GasGuzzler wrote High speeds can increase the severity of an accident, but in terms of the root cause for the crashes, the problem lies in speed variance, and not speed. Speed variance occurs when speed limits are set at artificially low levels, resulting in a wide variety individual vehicle speeds, making crashes much more likely.

hmm i dont know about speed not being an issue. you get into a tight spot doing 90+ mph and its all over. i love it when i see people on 71 in a honda accord cruising at 90 and change lanes like there doing 40. when i see the rear end start to slid i slow way down and get out of the way. ive seen 2 crashes happen that way and myself as well. nothing like cold bald tires. some people just dont know how to drive fast also they think that cars are magic and will get them out of sticky situations. one can have all the traction control and computer shit in the world and doesnt make a difference when your doing 90+ and have to change lanes twice because there passing on the left and the car in front of them cuts them off.

the whole speed variance thing i could see, like when 270 drops from 65 to 55 around westerville. half the cars are doing 55 and the other are doing 70 or so. you really can come up on cars fast that way.

41. VictorianGate October 6, 2008 8:42 pm at 8:42 pm

Walker wrote

Sounds like all of 670 to me.

Yeah there are speed limits, just like what you said. Basically when you approach a city, a few kms out, they slow to 120km, then to 100km, then finally to 80km right around and through the cities. They use speed cameras to take a pic of your plate and send you a bill if you are over. I don’t know how much it is or how high over, but everyone goes the limit in those areas, to the tee.

I’d like to point out that 71 right through town is 65. It is usually congested with curves and merging traffic. Then, in rural Ohio where I can see 3 miles ahead of me, minimal traffic, and is flat and straight as an arrow, the speed limit is also 65. That doesn’t add up, to me at least.

42. lifeontwowheels October 6, 2008 8:53 pm at 8:53 pm

VictorianGate wrote
    Walker wrote

Sounds like all of 670 to me.

Most of 670, parts of 315 and 71/70 around the split are all marked at 55.

Or at least I thought.

Walker October 6, 2008 9:28 pm at 9:28 pm

VictorianGate wrote I’d like to point out that 71 right through town is 65.

Wrong. It drops to 55 through urban Columbus.

I’m with you that it should spike up to 70 once you’re far enough outside of town though. Most of I-65 is like this through KY, TN, and AL, and it makes driving that way (to go visit my parents) a breeze. Of course, those areas along that highway seem much less densely populated than the 71 corridor through all of Ohio.

44. VictorianGate October 6, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm

Hmm ic.. I usually get on/off at the 71/670 split, which it is 65.. I figured if it was going to slow down for the city, it’d be lower by that point.

45. captain janks October 8, 2008 5:37 pm at 5:37 pm

Paul wrote

How else is he supposed to catch up to someone going that fast?

lol at government vehicles being well maintained. we barely have enough money to pay the cops themselves, let alone the mechanics to work on them.

as for the “training”, going down the freeway, in a straight line at speed requires about zero skill. a retarded monkey can do it. keep the pedal pegged and the wheel straight. the skill really comes into play in the turns.

but the cause of that crash is not the speed, its the dumb shit who changes lanes without signaling.

they arent designed and imposed for that. but they ARE kept artificially low for that exact reason. its a revenue generator.

no. they are not caused by speed. speed is not a primary factor. its a secondary factor. crashes are FIRST caused by people talking on their phone, fiddling with the radio, being drunk etc. speed is secondary to that.

46. captain janks October 8, 2008 5:49 pm at 5:49 pm

i think i should add, im talking about FREEWAYS only.