Mitchell’s Martini to get makeover in Short North

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Business First of Columbus wrote Mitchell’s Martini to get makeover in Short North

Friday, September 26, 2008

by Dan Eaton

One of Cameron Mitchell’s first restaurants is getting a makeover.

Martini Italian Bistro in Columbus’ Short North, will be idled Sept. 28 after 12 years of operations so it can reopen Oct. 15 as Martini Modern Italian.

Cameron Mitchell Restaurants LLC spokeswoman Carolyn Delp said although the name is familiar, the menu and look will be “100 percent different.’

Related Stories:

- Marcella’s Heading Soon to Polaris and Beyond

- Mitchell’s latest is … Blue Amber?

- Cameron Mitchell To Sell Fish, Steak Restaurants

- Cameron Mitchell plans to perfect fresh concepts

15 Responses to Mitchell’s Martini to get makeover in Short North

1. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 26, 2008 8:43 pm at 8:43 pm

Walker wrote
    Business First of Columbus wrote Mitchell’s first restaurants is getting a makeover.

What a total loss of history we have.

The two Cameron’s restaurants were where CM staked his reputation and can only be legitimately called his first restaurants. The one out East is long gone and the Linworth one gets forgotten.

Fuck. What do I know? I am such a geezer.

A.

Walker September 26, 2008 9:52 pm at 9:52 pm

I have actually never been to Martini. I have a weird bone in my body that prevents me from eating Italian food outside of my own home regularly. :?

3. lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress September 27, 2008 1:24 am at 1:24 am

Walker wrote I dunno… when the dude has 600 restaurants I think his first 20 would be considered “his first restaurants”.

rest assured: you aren’t missing anything. At all.

4. PaulF September 27, 2008 4:15 am at 4:15 am

Walker wrote

I cook a lot of Italian, but I eat out a lot too. And there are a number of dishes at Martinis that are just complicated/time-consuming that I’d just as soon let them make them for me.

My favorite for Italian are Bravo, Cafe DaVinci, Cardone’s, Georgio’s, Moretti’s, Monte Carlo, & Scali’s. In no particular order.

Paul

Walker October 5, 2008 9:36 pm at 9:36 pm

Couple of construction photos taken by Anne on Saturday morning:

6. heresthecasey October 5, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm

while im not sure about how much i like the revamping of the restaurant as ive enjoyed martinis a lot when i have gone, i am glad that they are investing in the downtown location for a new concept instead of building some new one in a parking lot at polaris

7. shroud
    shroud October 6, 2008 9:38 am at 9:38 am

I’ve never been a fan of Martini’s at all – it holds the second-to-last spot in my own personal ranking of CM restaurants (just above Molly Woo’s).

The revamp sounds interesting – at least from the teaser listed here, since I can’t see the whole article without an account. I’d love to see what they mean by “modern Italian”, and how it’s going to differentiate itself from Marcella’s…

8. enzo
    enzo October 6, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am

I wonder if it is because of the new Martini place coming to Easton?

9. shroud
    shroud October 6, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am

enzo wrote I wonder if it is because of the new Martini place coming to Easton?

I highly doubt it — Martini Park doesn’t sound like it’s at all close to Martini’s in theme/intent.

Walker October 6, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am

I doubt it too.

According to the original article:

The Original Article wrote “Sales have been flat,” she said. “Given all the new restaurants to the area, we felt that eventually we’d begin to have sales declines if we didn’t stay ahead of the curve.”

Sounds like it’s just in need of a refreshening.

Anne said it looks like they’re installing the same kind of accordion windows that they have at Marcella’s.

11. artieandgumbo October 6, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm

Long over-due. The food could use a makeover as well.

12. honavery October 6, 2008 2:16 pm at 2:16 pm

13. Lauren Wilson
    osulew October 6, 2008 2:28 pm at 2:28 pm

honavery wrote Agreed about the food needing some work. That being said, they have a fantastic happy hour. $4 (delicious) martinis, and $4 appetizers. Great bartenders too.

I used to be addicted to that happy hour…for about 4 months I went about twice a week. I may have to revisit soon.

14. pixlfarmer October 6, 2008 2:29 pm at 2:29 pm

The lasagna at Martini’s is flippin’ awesome. I believe they make it with ground sausage, and you get a slab the size of a small shoebox. Major yum. I’ve always had good service there too.

Walker October 14, 2008 8:59 am at 8:59 am

The Dispatch wrote Martini’s revamped

Cameron Mitchell’s new take on Italian uses classics touched up with modern flair

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 3:02 AM

BY BILL CHRONISTER

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Urban Columbus is about to get a taste of urban Italy. Martini Modern Italian, Cameron Mitchell’s latest concept, is replacing Martini Italian Bistro at 445 N. High St., at Vine Street.

“I want you to step into a dining experience like I’ve seen in Milan,” Mitchell said as he prepared for its opening on Wednesday night. “For two hours, our customers can leave Columbus behind and have an experience like they can nowhere else.”