Rose Sentenced to 15 Years for Haiku Hit-Skip

From NBC4i.com:

Man Gets 15 Years In Haiku Hit-Skip

The driver who ran down two restaurant workers in the Short North in order to avoid paying his $100 restaurant tab bill learned his punishment Tuesday.

Michael Rose was sentenced Tuesday afternoon in a Franklin County common pleas courtroom. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison minus the 262 days he already served in jail.

[Read More]

25 Responses to Rose Sentenced to 15 Years for Haiku Hit-Skip

lifeliberty February 3, 2009 3:55 pm at 3:55 pm

so that was the criminal trial part i take it. is there going to be a civil trial? because really, i don’t think 15 years is enough.

chaptal February 3, 2009 3:56 pm at 3:56 pm

So that’s five years before he’s up for parole?

coremodels February 3, 2009 3:56 pm at 3:56 pm

I don’t think they do Shock and Super Shock anymore, so if that’s the case, yeah…5 years. While a civil trial is good, it doesn’t sound like this guy has anything to go after (and certainly won’t in 5 years). Let’s just hope his prison time is eventful and unpleasant.

ndcent February 3, 2009 3:57 pm at 3:57 pm

I also don’t think 15 years is enough.

turnedNOTburned February 3, 2009 3:57 pm at 3:57 pm

Especially with Parole in 5. I wonder if a plea bargain was involved or if there were other “circumstances” in the ruling. I’m sure the media will be on this like wet on water.

coremodels February 3, 2009 3:58 pm at 3:58 pm

It was a plea bargain.

mitchellosu February 3, 2009 3:58 pm at 3:58 pm

This guy is a total shitbird. It would be difficult to think of anyone who deserves worse.

matthew February 3, 2009 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

So the going rate for intentionally running over a fellow human being with a car while also stealing from them is just 15 years?

I’m shocked and pretty pissed off at this. Way to go jackass judge/legal system.

Kid_Icarus February 3, 2009 4:59 pm at 4:59 pm

There WAS a plea bargain.

Judge GUARANTEED Michael Rose would serve every day of 15 years. No good behavior, parole boards or whatever. Every day of 15 minus the days he’s already spent in prison. I think he’s spent close to 300 days already…not sure.

I don’t think it was enough either.

The longest part of the sentencing procedure was listening to the judge recite Michael’s previous arrests. OMVI, Domestic Abuse, OMVI, Vandalism, Domestic Abuse, Vandalism, OMVI….etc etc…

THEN we listened to his family members talk about what a swell guy he is and he battles alcoholism.

I’ll be the first to agree alcoholism is a very real monster. Cunning, baffling and powerful they say…fine.

I know he got many slaps on the wrist for his previous crimes (LOTS of dismissals) and I suspect his “loving, terrific family” coughed up a lot of scratch for those….but NOTHING about completing a treatment program or addressing this disease they claim as the cause for leniency.

I mean if the family and Michael KNEW he had an alcohol/crack problem why is there no record of any attempt to address it?

He never did! Just paid the fines…

And now it has led to this and NOW he’s going to address it. Well of course he is.

I didn’t see ANY reason for leniency in this case or reason to shift the blame on anyone but Michael.

I’m glad he is going to do every day of 15. I’m disappointed that is all.

I only hope Rachel the Lui family and everyone else can at least begin to feel some sense of closure.

Rachel and Paul’s grace and strength throughout this ordeal is nothing shy of amazing. My head, body and soul is still reeling in awe over the poise and dignity they possess.

enzo February 3, 2009 5:00 pm at 5:00 pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe someone in jail will take justice into their own hands much like they do with pedophiles!!!

Coremodels February 3, 2009 5:00 pm at 5:00 pm

While I hope that’s true,; I’m not sure that’s really within the judge’s realm of control. Hope so, just seems strange.

Cookie February 3, 2009 5:01 pm at 5:01 pm

enzo wrote :
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Maybe someone in jail will take justice into their own hands much like they do with pedophiles!!!

Love is what our lives are all about….if you act with love as your primary intention (dig deep) everything goes as it should!!

Manatee February 3, 2009 5:30 pm at 5:30 pm

Word.

Kid_Icarus February 3, 2009 6:02 pm at 6:02 pm

My understanding from Judge Conner is recent Ohio Law states that if a person is sentenced more than ten years then that person has to do every single day of it.

No early release what-so-ever for criminals sentenced 10 plus years in Ohio.

Coremodels February 3, 2009 6:40 pm at 6:40 pm

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure that’s what S.B. 2 does. Gram is hopefully reading and can chime in with the answer.

ratzo February 3, 2009 6:50 pm at 6:50 pm

Indeed. Seeing that quote about how she forgives him was very poignant.

17. ZHC February 3, 2009 8:53 pm at 8:53 pm

I just hope this is enough to stop another fool from committing such a horrible act.
    Perhaps now the focus can move back now to where it belongs, helping the  good people affected by all of this.

18. Bear
    Bear February 3, 2009 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm

Hmm.

Personally, I tend to agree with Hanover Fiste:  ”Hanging’s too good for him.  Burning’s too good for him.  He should be torn into little bitsy pieces and buried alive!”

But, just for the sake of argument, let’s think back and put this in real, tangible terms.  15 years ago would have been February of 1994.  What were you doing back then?

19. joev
    joev February 3, 2009 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm

I think 15 years is fair (if he serves all 15.) I believe that many people can be rehabilitated.

20. Columbusite February 4, 2009 12:32 am at 12:32 am

Problem is, jail doesn’t rehabilitate. He’ll still be the same mindless, heartless piece of crap, but with more wrinkles. He still won’t be able to fathom the harm he has done.

21. Rockmastermike February 4, 2009 7:49 am at 7:49 am

rehabilitated or not, he’s NOT HERE and that’s all I care about. Someone ELSE can deal with him for 15 years and it’s just one less asshat we have to worry about out here.

Also, when you say “jail doesn’t rehabilitate” you are right there is no way to force that on anyone, BUT an individual who takes advantage of the educational and drug rehab programs available in prison CAN rehabilitate themselves.

And yes, Conner can and did rule that he’s not eligible for any kind of early release. Maybe he’ll get cancer from smoking all that crack and we won’t have to worry about him anyway. That kind of self-made luck seems to follow people like that.

22. Serenity February 4, 2009 2:48 pm at 2:48 pm

From what I hear, he has completed treatment programs and attended AA but was never able to continue to stay sober. Many people relapse and it is unfortunate that it had to come to this. I believe this could be his “rock bottom” and he can be rehabilitated if he wants it. I hope that people think twice about driving drunk. How many time have you woke up in the morning wondering how you made it home? My prayers are with Rachel, Julie and their families. Isn’t it time for everyone to start healing from this tragedy?

23. hugh59
    hugh59 February 4, 2009 7:03 pm at 7:03 pm

It was a plea agreement, but the process in Ohio does not involve the prosecutor and the defendant agreeing on a sentence.  Rather, the defendant agrees to plead guilty and agrees to be subject to a pre-sentence investigative report.  In that report, a complete history of the defendant’s transgressions is prepared; I don’t remember if the report makes a recommendation.

Looking at the news report in the Dispatch (which probably has some errors in it), it appears that the prosecutor and the victims’ families were asking for the maximum sentence of 32 years to be imposed.  However, Judge Connor felt that this would be too severe.

Judge Connor has a history of substance abuse and, if I recall correctly, some drunk driving violations of his own.  I have this budding feeling of outrage that the Judge may have overly sympathetic to the defendant because HE is also an alcoholic.

24. gmcsoccer
    gmcsoccer February 9, 2009 8:36 pm at 8:36 pm

this case really made me sick.  i hope that this guy can find a path to recovery while he sits in his cell.  15 years should be enough time to do that, as long as he comes out and isn’t coddled and allowed to return to his ways when he gets out.  sad thing is that it will be tough for him to do anything positive after leaving jail, but i’ll hope for the best as should we all.

25. cc
    cc May 22, 2011 7:55 pm at 7:55 pm

Memorial Day Weekend may bring a lot of fun but it also brings back this guy’s callous drunken crime,  please don’t forget about Rachel.