Meltworks Restaurant Coming Soon to Grandview

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Business First of Cincinnati wrote Locals plan first grilled cheese spot Meltworks in Columbus

Friday, September 26, 2008

by Lisa Biank Fasig

Give them a little bread, and Eric Powell and Trevor Snowden will bet their future on grilled cheese. The Cincinnati entrepreneurs are pulling together financing to open a grilled cheese restaurant, a concept called Meltworks, in Columbus in early 2009. If financing and strategy follow as planned, the young pair expects to operate 25 Midwestern eateries in five years� time.

But it won�t necessarily be easy. The duo is still raising capital for its first location, in the Columbus neighborhood of Grandview, which they estimate will cost $470,000. They have raised $175,000 so far and are talking to some restaurant and real estate investors.

115 Responses to Meltworks Restaurant Coming Soon to Grandview

1. bjboose
    bjboose September 29, 2008 9:38 am at 9:38 am

I’m all for a positive outlook, but don’t you think they should get ONE up and running before planning to open the next 25?

2. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 9:49 am at 9:49 am

Grilled cheese is very relevant to my interests! :)

Walker September 29, 2008 9:51 am at 9:51 am

It seems like it’s a common thing to announce these days. Huge expansion plans before the first one is opened. I wonder if it’s something being said to attract more investors?

Either way, I’m interested to see what this place offers. The Swiss Melt at Cafe Corner is one of my favorite “dressed up” grilled cheese sandwiches (it’s topped with artichoke hearts, crumbled bacon, sauteed onions, amish swiss cheese, and a dijon horseradish sauce) in the city, so I know the concept could be pulled off well.

4. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 9:54 am at 9:54 am

My fave grilled cheese combo right now is any sort of yummy cheese with bacon, tomato and avocado.

Although I make such a good one it would be hard to tempt me to pay restaurant prices for one. ;)

I’d check out a place that offered anything interesting with stinky melted cheese though. I love stinky cheese! :)

5. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am

Business First of Cincinnati wrote ric Powell and Trevor Snowden will bet their future on grilled cheese. The Cincinnati recent business-school grads are pulling together financing to open a grilled cheese restaurant, a concept called Meltworks,

Fixed that.

All these business proposals look like B-school projects that they decide to take to market. Wasn’t that exactly what Pesto was?

Given the massive failure rate of restaurants, especially new ones, even by experienced hands, I keep wondering why people keep gravitating to it. Maybe the amount is no more than other businesses, but restaurants get noticed.

A.

6. zp945
    zp945 September 29, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am

Walker September 29, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am

What they forgot to mention about the startup costs: This new restaurant can seat 200,000 people.

;)

8. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am

9. Schoolboy
    Schoolboy September 29, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am

joev wrote Seems like this is a new and somewhat disturbing trend: People starting up restaurants that prepare food that’s ridiculously cheap, quick and easy to prepare on your own. How long until a gourmet PB&J shop opens up charging $7 to cut it on a diagonal like mommy did?

:P i was thinking something very similiar

i wish them luck, but with the current state of the economy this doesn’t seem to be the wisest investment of almost half a mill.

10. Coremodels September 29, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am

joev wrote How long until a gourmet PB&J shop opens up charging $7 to cut it on a diagonal like mommy did?

I paid 5 bucks happily for G.D. Ritzy’s PB&J back in the day.

11. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am

Coremodels wrote

I paid 5 bucks happily for G.D. Ritzy’s PB&J back in the day.

I don’t know what that is, but because I have some latent desire to open a restaurant someday, why? Was is extra good? Was it a time saver!?! Did it include ingredients you couldn’t normally find at the store?

12. Coremodels September 29, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am

Coremodels wrote

I paid 5 bucks happily for G.D. Ritzy’s PB&J back in the day.

I was trying to find a photo of it, but it was insanely delicious.

Open faced, on like Texas Toast style bread. One side, covered in creamy home made PB with ground nuts on top, the other side with homemade strawberry jam and slices of strawberries.

13. rave_til_dawn September 29, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am

Or food that requires virtually no preperation: cereal!.

14. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am

rave_til_dawn wrote cereal!.

But that is perfect for people who want to give up their fridge.

A.

15. Coremodels September 29, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am

Andrew Hall wrote
    rave_til_dawn wrote cereal!.

But that is perfect for people who want to give up their fridge.

A.

:lol:

I thought only Kramer did that:

16. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am

17. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am

joev wrote Starbucks is doing really well selling oatmeal. The food that you can pop in the microwave for 1 minute and eat. In a mug in the car if you have to.

If you microwave oatmeal, it is not food anymore. Spackling compound, it is.

A.

18. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm

Schoolboy wrote

:P i was thinking something very similiar

Yeah, I’m totally talking out my ass, but you can almost hear the business wheels grinding…”let’s take something with a ridiculously inexpensive food cost, so we can make maximum profit on the markup! We’ll provide a cool & hip environment, so that kids will want to spend the extra $$$!”

Having said that, I suppose you could abstractly distill Katzinger’s down to “let’s open a deli & serve really expensive sandwiches!” It comes down to presenting something that’s either a great value or otherwise unobtainable. They should add Lauren’s bacon & avocado to the menu & they should have no problems. :)

But seriously…maybe start with five grand & a street cart or something. Find out who buys grilled cheese, where they sell, when they sell, and how much they’ll pay. Then plan your 25 locations or whatever.

Walker September 29, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm

I agree that this type of model will most likely not work, but is that what they’re doing? I don’t have a subscription to Business First, so I can’t read the rest of the article online (GRRR) but are they just serving simple Grilled Cheeses, or are they going that extra step beyond what is simple at home? Because that Swiss Melt I described would require quite a few extra steps at home with ingredients I most likely won’t have on hand. If they’re going to be doing something more like that, I can see it possibly working.

20. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm

Walker wrote I am a bit confused on the Grandview location though. I’d think it might be a better fit for North Campus.

Yeah, seems like it’d be tough going head to head with Grinders & Panera in Grandview for the lunch crowd. And I’m not sure what kind of dinner market there is for grilled cheese. Best of luck though! I like simple food with sophisticated touches, so who knows what they’ll come up with?

21. Coremodels September 29, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm

blammo wrote I like simple food with sophisticated touches, so who knows what they’ll come up with?

Agreed, I think Liz has made a mint of that idea.

22. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm

blammo wrote But seriously…maybe start with five grand & a street cart or something. Find out who buys grilled cheese, where they sell, when they sell, and how much they’ll pay. .

But that would involve these business school types doing …. labor!

I wish ‘em luck cause I am a nice person though I am getting tired of these restaurant “concepts” coming out of theory rather than real restaurant world. ( I might be misjudgiing these cats, but it has all the hallmarks.)

A.

23. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm

blammo wrote They should add Lauren’s bacon & avocado to the menu & they should have no problems. :)

Thankies!

I might have that for dinner.

I just need to stop at the store for bread, cheese, bacon, tomato, and avocado. :)

24. Coremodels September 29, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm

Andrew Hall wrote

But that would involve these business school types doing …. labor!

A.

I don’t know man, once upon a time a guy said “you know what, I should just sell hamburgers and french fries”…

25. Tigertree
    Tigertree September 29, 2008 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm

I am always confused where the line between grilled cheese and sandwich is anymore. How much bacon and you crumble before the tomato and lettuce that come with, make it a blt? These two aren’t just making sandwiches, they are pushing boundaries.

26. Drew September 29, 2008 1:06 pm at 1:06 pm

zp945 wrote $470,000 seems like an awfully high number for start up. How much equipment do you need to make a grilled cheese sandwich? I would expect a very nice build out for that cost.

Agreed… that seems awfully high to me.

27. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:07 pm at 1:07 pm

Drew wrote

Agreed… that seems awfully high to me.

Seems to me, a cheap countertop and about a dozen Foremans and you’re in business…

28. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 1:08 pm at 1:08 pm

Drew wrote

Agreed… that seems awfully high to me.

You could run it out of a dorm room. Which begs the question, why not just eat in your dorm room?

29. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:11 pm at 1:11 pm

I know I rarely make the same grilled cheese twice in a row, between changing up breads, cheeses, etc.

30. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 1:13 pm at 1:13 pm

Coremodels wrote my guess is, this isn’t wonder bread with a couple kraft singles though. I think there is, actually, a way to make a couple dozen really unique blends of cheeses and even meats for a “grilled cheese” that’s almost high end and delicious.

Mind you, I’m not upset by the guys with the plan; I’m upset at the mouth-breathers out there who can’t assemble and cook a sandwich.

31. KSquared September 29, 2008 1:13 pm at 1:13 pm

Wasn’t there a restaurant that sold cereal? Just bowls of regular cereal? And one that sold TV dinners? I could swear I saw something like that.

+1 on G.D. Ritzy’s but I am thinking shoestring fries dipped in mint chocolate chip ice cream.

32. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 1:14 pm at 1:14 pm

joev wrote

Most things at most restaurants aren’t rocket science.

And I have plenty of imagination in the kitchen…it doesn’t mean I should have to cook at home all the time just because I can.

33. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 1:15 pm at 1:15 pm

KSquared wrote

Get outta my brainz!!!!

34. Drew September 29, 2008 1:15 pm at 1:15 pm

KSquared wrote Wasn’t there a restaurant that sold cereal? Just bowls of regular cereal?

There are a few concepts like that… here’s one:

35. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:18 pm at 1:18 pm

joev wrote I never do either. I guess what these people are selling is imagination to people who don’t have one? Putting cheese and toppings in a sandwich and melting it is not rocket science!

Remember though j, this pretty much applies to any sandwich shop. Subway, Katzingers, Quizno’s, etc.

None of these places are really doing anything that shouldn’t be easily reproduced in your own kitchen, but they aren’t going broke by a longshot.

36. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 1:20 pm at 1:20 pm

Coremodels wrote

But this is grilled cheese. The easiest of all sandwiches besides PB&J.

37. Tigertree
    Tigertree September 29, 2008 1:25 pm at 1:25 pm

Are they doing a new build? If so the number isn’t so huge really.

I would imagine they are if the idea is to be a franchise they need to get as much brand recognition as possible. McDonald’s is worth so much for their land, not their Big Macs.

38. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 1:28 pm at 1:28 pm

Coremodels wrote

But this is grilled cheese. The easiest of all sandwiches besides PB&J.

so don’t eat there

39. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:29 pm at 1:29 pm

joev wrote But this is grilled cheese. The easiest of all sandwiches besides PB&J.

But honestly Joe, how simple is a hamburger? How simple is a BLT? How simple is a Reuben really?

And yet, I guarantee I’ve paid real money at various restaurants for all of those.

40. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 1:36 pm at 1:36 pm

Coremodels wrote

Hamburger joints that only sell hamburgers have their own unique spin on the burger and they had the idea for the burger first.

Other places are multi-sandwhich shops which fill a niche of convenience and variety. Places that have distinctive sandwhiches worth a trip start off thinking about the food first, not the franchising.

A.

41. Wootie September 29, 2008 1:36 pm at 1:36 pm

Sounds like they’re trying to do a concept similar to Melt Bar & Grilled up in Lakewood (1st suburb west of Cleveland). They’re doing great business up there. If you’re ever in the neighborhood, it’s definitely worth a visit. Their food is gut-bustingly delicious.

42. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 1:36 pm at 1:36 pm

Coremodels wrote

I usually have bread, butter and cheese on hand. I occassionally have bacon. I rarely have ground beef. I never have sauerkraut or corned beef. I just don’t understand the person who says: hey, I’m going out for dinner tonight! and then orders up something a person with a 3rd grade education could whip up in 3 minutes with ingredients they have on hand and that will eventually go bad if not used. It’s like a dog going through the trash and getting excited over a discarded bag of dogfood rather than the sundry other bits.

43. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh September 29, 2008 1:47 pm at 1:47 pm

44. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 1:51 pm at 1:51 pm

somertimeoh wrote I too am a member of the grilled cheese with bacon, tomato, and avocado fan club. Good bread and cheese is not cheap. Avocados aren’t always available or are like $1.50 a piece for a tiny one!!! If I want to make myself a grilled cheese with good ingredients it means I’m going to be eating a lot of them over the next few days because the ingrediants are so perishable. I’d rather just pay $6 or $7 for one and not have to look forward to eating it everyday for the next week. Oh and what do you know, today is MONDAY!!!! :)

45. Ndcent
    Ndcent September 29, 2008 1:52 pm at 1:52 pm

To those bacon grilled cheesers out there…a question…

Do you cook your grilled cheese in the grease from the bacon?

46. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 1:52 pm at 1:52 pm

So who knows, maybe if done correctly, this place could be a gateway to some kick-ass taste experiences for otherwise unadventurous consumers. Or it could be $7 for some hot bread & cheese, who knows.

PS: I bet joev’s grilled cheese sandwiches suck!

47. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh September 29, 2008 1:55 pm at 1:55 pm

joev wrote

Note to joev – what are you talking about? You should get out more. If you think people eating grilled cheese are eating Kraft singles on Wonderbread than I now understand your ignorance throughout this entire thread.

48. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:56 pm at 1:56 pm

Ndcent wrote To those bacon grilled cheesers out there…a question…

Do you cook your grilled cheese in the grease from the bacon?

an answer:

I didn’t used to!

49. Coremodels September 29, 2008 1:57 pm at 1:57 pm

Actually, I’ve used it in the past in a couple recipes just because of it’s ease and smoothness of melting.

50. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh September 29, 2008 1:58 pm at 1:58 pm

blammo wrote The point being, why does anyone buy Velveeta? Yuck! It’s all weird and slimy and tastes like glue! Oooh, but cooking with bacon grease is awesome, unless you’re a vegetarian. Then it probably sucks.

Pretty sure that was purchased in order to make queso for some gathering :lol:

51. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 1:58 pm at 1:58 pm

joev wrote note to somertimeoh – that is not a grilled cheese. The cheese is ancillary in this case.

Wikipedia says otherwise! Ha! :lol:

52. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 2:00 pm at 2:00 pm

joev wrote

Thank you for enlightening us oh wise food and sandwich guru. Please give me more of your knowledge…I’m dying for it over here.

53. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:00 pm at 2:00 pm

somertimeoh wrote

Pretty sure that was purchased in order to make queso for some gathering :lol:

agreed, it melted right up! but I can’t imagine wanting to dip something in it though. I guess my old age has turned me into a cheese snob.

54. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:01 pm at 2:01 pm

Cookie wrote

Picture from the article:

this picture goes well with Cookie’s signature.

55. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:03 pm at 2:03 pm

blammo wrote When you think about it, the grilled cheese sandwich is about the most unintimidating ingredient delivery mechanism around. I just made two grilled cheese for lunch, one with mustard & velveeta (that someone inexplicably brought over for a party…whooohooo!) and one with bacon, muenster, cream cheese, capers & mayo. Predictably, the dorm-grade velveeta one tasted pretty shitty, but the other one was freaking delicious. I imagine with a little imagination, you could take a grilled cheese as far as you wanted, with goat cheese, crab meat, mushrooms, lox, etc.

PS: I bet joev’s grilled cheese sandwiches suck!

I think I just give a assign a different binomial nomenclature to sandwiches some called “grilled cheese.” For me, grilled cheese is bread, cheese and butter. It goes best with Campbell’s tomato soup made with milk, especially in the cooler months.

I make some other really good sandwiches that I do not count as grilled cheese because they contain other ingredients that upstage both the cheese and “grilled.” One is pumpernickel with smoked gouda, pear and sage. Another is roasted eggplant and red pepper and fontina with a garlic oregano aioli. Those happen to be cooked on a stovetop in butter, but are so much more than grilled cheese.

This restaurant is a sandwich shop, not a grilled cheese concept.

56. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:04 pm at 2:04 pm

somertimeoh wrote
    joev wrote

Maybe find something else to get enraged and bitter about.

57. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh September 29, 2008 2:04 pm at 2:04 pm

blammo wrote
    somertimeoh wrote

Pretty sure that was purchased in order to make queso for some gathering :lol:

Agreed, it needs flavor. Add some salsa and/or rotel and you’re good to go. The jalepeno flavored one is good too. I’ve never used it for anything other than queso or casseroles so I’m not sure how good it is on it’s own, but I think I’ll be ok without ever knowing that :)

58. somertimeoh
    somertimeoh September 29, 2008 2:06 pm at 2:06 pm

somertimeoh wrote
    joev wrote

Maybe find something else to get enraged and bitter about.

Hold please, let me just find somewhere else you’ve posted….

59. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:06 pm at 2:06 pm

joev wrote Maybe find something else to get enraged and bitter about.

:lol:

Come on now Joe, you’ve been here long enough to know that sleights against bacon, various pizza, grilled cheese, or streetcars may actually make people egg your house :wink:

60. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 2:09 pm at 2:09 pm

MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

61. shmack
    shmack September 29, 2008 2:10 pm at 2:10 pm

joev wrote
    blammo wrote PS: I bet joev’s grilled cheese sandwiches suck!

confirmed: joe’s grilled cheese suck because he thinks kraft singles pair best with tomato soup from a can.

62. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:11 pm at 2:11 pm

Coremodels wrote
    joev wrote Maybe find something else to get enraged and bitter about.

:lol:

Fuck that, we need the eggs for the breakfast sandwiches!

Look out to be TP’d though. oooh…actually we might need that later too.

Ok, we’ll settle for one of these:

63. Tigertree
    Tigertree September 29, 2008 2:12 pm at 2:12 pm

osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE and it magically changed into a SANDWICH!

:shock:

64. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:12 pm at 2:12 pm

osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

No, your name is Lauren and you’re a reckless hedonist because you don’t know where a grilled cheese stops and a bacon, avocado, tomato and cheese sandwich starts.

65. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:14 pm at 2:14 pm

Coremodels wrote
    joev wrote Maybe find something else to get enraged and bitter about.

:lol:

And when did I sleight grilled cheese?

66. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:14 pm at 2:14 pm

osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

You’re just bitter because you’ve been getting shortchanged on your grilled cheeses all these years. It’s ok. You can put other stuff in there. It’s the GRILLING that makes it a grilled cheese, not the absence of additional ingredients.

67. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 2:16 pm at 2:16 pm

osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

Damn! Zinger there Joe!!!

My path of chaos and destruction knows no bounds!

First I’m gunning down my pals in a go cart…now I’VE FUCKED WITH THE SANDWICHES!!!

68. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:17 pm at 2:17 pm

joev wrote That’s true. Some people take food a little more seriously than Darfur around here.

And when did I sleight grilled cheese?

Oh, I think it’s fair to say most of us take food fairly seriously around here…

THAT SAID…

I still rank grilled cheese as one of the top 10 most delicious and flexible dishes of all time. Just like you can offer 25 different “burgers”, you could easily do the same for this.

69. joev

71. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:22 pm at 2:22 pm

blammo wrote
    osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

George Foreman wants to punch you in the brain…

72. Lauren Wilson
    osulew September 29, 2008 2:22 pm at 2:22 pm

blammo wrote
    osulew wrote MY NAME IS LAUREN

I’M A RECKLESS HEDONIST

I PUT OTHER TOPPINGS ON MY GRILLED CHEESE

:shock:

Then shouldn’t it be a pan-fried goddamn cheese then?

Is being so narrow minded painful?

73. Ndcent
    Ndcent September 29, 2008 2:22 pm at 2:22 pm

Tigertree wrote I went to high-school in Illinois. They call it a cheese toasty there. I am not joking.

That is FUCKING CREEPY AS FUCK!

74. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:23 pm at 2:23 pm

joev wrote You don’t actually GRILL a grilled cheese, you pan fry it. So it can’t be the grilling…

It must be the condensed tomato soup then!

I’m starting to wonder if these guys should go ahead with the restaurant & serve such controversial fare. Maybe a “roasted marshmallow” -themed restaurant would go over better.

…but they must NEVER be burned!!!!

75. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:24 pm at 2:24 pm

Cookie wrote

Where in Illinois? I’ve never heard this before.

…and apparently only in Illinois?

76. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:27 pm at 2:27 pm

My dad, from Cleveland, calls them toasted cheese. My mom, from Cleveland, three blocks over, calls them grilled cheese.

What amount of toppings could you put on a grilled cheese before it becomes something other than a grilled cheese? Add ham, and any elementary school cafeteria calls it a grilled ham and cheese, the ham taking presidence. Is it a grilled cheese if the cheese is vegan and not cheese at all? Could you put yogurt in the middle and call it grilled almost cheese? These are not questions to be taken lightly.

77. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:28 pm at 2:28 pm

CHEESE BOWS TO NO OTHER INGREDIENTS

78. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:30 pm at 2:30 pm

joev wrote

I think the concept is you start with grilled cheese and evolve:

“You can explore so many different flavors through the simple idea of a grilled cheese sandwich. The possibilities are really endless.”

79. chaptal
    chaptal September 29, 2008 2:31 pm at 2:31 pm

blammo wrote

It must be the condensed tomato soup then!

…but they must NEVER be burned!!!!

Don’t give anyone ideas.

S’mores R Us.

80. Tigertree
    Tigertree September 29, 2008 2:32 pm at 2:32 pm

I think we’re making the case for just how important this restaurant is. We’re dealing with something bigger than ourselves here. Or maybe just distracting ourselves from our countries financial collapse..

81. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:32 pm at 2:32 pm

Coremodels wrote from that beginning, I don’t really see an end as long as bread, cheese, and grilling are three components.

PAN FRYING, you oaf! Or would that be pan searing?

fuck it, i’m gonna throw a cheese toasty on the grill, pack a one hitter, throw in my copy of Obsession, and expand my horizons tonight!

82. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:32 pm at 2:32 pm

So is a panini a grilled cheese?

Is a tuna melt?

Is a Cuban?

83. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:34 pm at 2:34 pm

joev wrote So is a panini a grilled cheese?

Is a tuna melt?

Is a Cuban?

84. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 2:35 pm at 2:35 pm

chaptal wrote

Don’t give anyone ideas.

S’mores R Us.

well, there’s so much you can do with the s’more concept! open fires at every table, kind of like fondue, but with campfires and folding chairs! the first location is in an open field with beer served out of coolers of ice, with 25 additional locations to come! I call it…Kampfyre!

85. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 2:36 pm at 2:36 pm

Coremodels wrote
    joev wrote So is a panini a grilled cheese?

Is a tuna melt?

Is a Cuban?

See, now we’re getting into the territory of calling all soft drinks a Coke. And that’s just wrong.

86. Ndcent
    Ndcent September 29, 2008 2:36 pm at 2:36 pm

Coremodels wrote
    joev wrote So is a panini a grilled cheese?

Is a tuna melt?

Is a Cuban?

Tuna melts are freak nasty.

87. KSquared September 29, 2008 2:39 pm at 2:39 pm

Ndcent wrote
    Coremodels wrote
    joev wrote So is a panini a grilled cheese?

Is a tuna melt?

Is a Cuban?

Tuna melts are freak nasty.

+100

88. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:40 pm at 2:40 pm

89. Ndcent
    Ndcent September 29, 2008 2:43 pm at 2:43 pm

Coremodels wrote As someone who’s eaten almost every crappy item known to man, I can honestly say (and proudly) I have never partaken in a Tuna Melt.

I’m ashamed to admit, I got a bad Roman the other day.

I may be turned off for a little while…which is a shame bc it’s quasi-close to my new house. :(

90. Coremodels September 29, 2008 2:43 pm at 2:43 pm

Ndcent wrote

I’m ashamed to admit, I got a bad Roman the other day.

:shock:

I gotta admit, I’ve moved over to the Gyro Shoppe Roman Burger the last couple months…

91. Ndcent
    Ndcent September 29, 2008 2:47 pm at 2:47 pm

Ndcent wrote

I’m ashamed to admit, I got a bad Roman the other day.

:shock:

Pff…they don’t have waffle fries with cheddar…do they?

92. BCOZ September 29, 2008 3:01 pm at 3:01 pm

I see both sides here.

A patty melt, tuna melt, etc aren’t “Grilled Cheese with additional toppings”

Rossi’s rediculously delicious ham and gruyere sandwich isn’t a “Grilled Cheese with additional toppings”

This joint can’t just sell grilled cheeses as cheese-only sandwiches, so natch THEY will call anything a “Grilled cheese with additional toppings” due to the concept.

What the fuck does that become?

A Grilled cheese without cheese?????

I think I’ve discovered the hole in their business plan :)

(I mean other than the fact that anyone who gives money to an econ 101 paper with “grilled cheese” subbed in for “widget” in this economy is either insane or the 2 guys’ grandparents.)

93. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 3:04 pm at 3:04 pm

BCOZ wrote I see both sides here.

A patty melt, tuna melt, etc aren’t “Grilled Cheese with additional toppings”

What the fuck does that become?

A Grilled cheese without cheese?????

I think I’ve discovered the hole in the fabric of the universe.:)

Fixed that.

94. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 3:04 pm at 3:04 pm

BCOZ wrote Here’s where the brain should explode: what if you go in there, order a “Grilled cheese with a hamburger” and then tell them “Hold the cheese”?

What the fuck does that become?

A Grilled cheese without cheese?????

I think I’ve discovered the hole in their business plan :)

I think we’ve already established that cheese is an essential ingredient to a “grilled cheese”. But if your brain explodes, that’s cool.

95. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 3:10 pm at 3:10 pm

You poor, poor deluded children. There is only one grilled cheese :

Also available in a locally-produced form as preached by … me.

Apostasy alert : Though it isn’t direct grilling, a restaurant in Seattle (Lampreia) does a cedar-planked cheese drizzled w/ honey and truffle oil that is homicidally-good.

A.

96. blammo
    blammo September 29, 2008 3:14 pm at 3:14 pm

Andrew Hall wrote You poor, poor deluded children. There is only one grilled cheese… :

now THAT is a grilled cheese I can get behind. i’m not sure how you’d pull that off, but it’s a thing of beauty. I can feel my heart slowing down just looking at the picture.

97. Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall September 29, 2008 3:20 pm at 3:20 pm

blammo wrote

Either get Gretna Grilling Cheese from Blue Jacket Dairy at any of the farmer’s markets. Or buy Halloumi (Cypriote cheese) from Curds and Whey (and Giant Eagle,I think.)

Grill it or pan fry it.

A.

98. joev
    joev September 29, 2008 3:20 pm at 3:20 pm

Andrew Hall wrote
    blammo wrote

Grill it or pan fry it.

A.

Shane’s carries Halloumi it too.