Mad Macs: Two Macarons Enter, One Macaron Leaves

Walker Evans Walker Evans Mad Macs: Two Macarons Enter, One Macaron Leaves

Now that the requisite Beyond the Thunderdome reference is out of the way, let’s get down to business. Mad Macs is the clever name of a new macaron bakery pop-up brought to you by Renee Kinkopf. Her love of these delicate french confectionaries goes beyond skin deep, as recently experienced for the first time by shoppers at the 400 Winter Farmers Market.

“These cookies are delicious, yes, but they are moody little turds,” she explained. “One day, you’ll bake beautiful, shiny shells… the next, every batch will come out cracked and ugly.”

Appearances aside, the consistent factors with Mad Macs macarons are the flavor and the texture, which sing wonderfully upon the very first bite.

Columbus Underground is celebrating Valentine’s Day a week early with Treat Week! We’re profiling all types of desserts, baked goods and other local sweets.

“Being able to share my little, imperfect cookies with customers makes me truly happy,” Kinkopf said. “The encouragement of my friends and family gave me the confidence to make a business of it.”

Kinkopf doesn’t have a formal culinary background, and instead got into baking as a mental release, previously from her college studies and now from her day job as a graphic designer. She decided to share her passion for macarons by setting up at the unique new winter market event last month.

“It was really wonderful getting out and engaging with the community, and all the vendors and people running the market were just tops,” said Kinkopf. “The macarons received great reviews, and it was nice seeing people return for more after their first cookie.”

Macaron flavors sold at the market included Cinnamon Honey, Lemon Cream, Vanilla Salty Caramel and Chocolate Chocolate.

“Other flavors I’ve made in the past include Peanut Chocolate, Pumpkin Spice, and Peppermint Chocolate,” added Kinkopf. “I’m more than happy to experiment with new flavor suggestions.”

For now, Kinkopf has no plans to leave her day job and pursue opening a brick and mortar retail store, but will continue to focus on the mobile business and allow customers to place special orders.

For those who are interested in trying them out, Mad Macs will return to the 400 Winter Farmers Market on Saturday, February 23rd.

More information can be found online at www.facebook.com/pages/Mad-Macs.

7 Responses to Mad Macs: Two Macarons Enter, One Macaron Leaves

1. bucki12 February 5, 2013 9:38 am at 9:38 am

I slipped in a Thunderdome reference at Mad Mex in the Gateway and no one got it :(

2. UrbanLegend February 5, 2013 3:30 pm at 3:30 pm

No offense, but what about Mad Macs warranted a story on Columbus Underground? As you said, they are a new addition to the 400 Winter Market. There are a number of other vendors at the 400 Winter Market that are more notable. Also, being a farmer’s market vendor does not make you a “pop-up.”

Don’t get me wrong, those macarons were pretty good, but after trying every single baked good at the market last month, Mad Macs was certainly the least memorable. Maybe I’m spoiled by Pistacia Vera, or maybe you didn’t make it past the main entrance where Mad Macs had the good fortune of being located.

If I were to make my own recommendations, they would be the following:
    - Fare City Feed Granola (try all of her flavors – she is the Jeni’s of granola)
    - Nina Baked (Maple Bacon Cinnamon Rolls!)
    - Christen Corey of The Table (Jalepeno Sausage Scones!)
    - Sugar B Bakery (French Toast Bread, Bacon/Egg/Cheddar Bread)

Walker February 5, 2013 3:51 pm at 3:51 pm

No disrespect meant for any other businesses at the 400 Winter Market. We’ll get around to writing about every single one of those businesses given a bit more time. Feel free to submit story ideas to info@columbusunderground.com as well.

And just as a heads up, we’ve got a story coming tomorrow about Brezel at the North Market. No disrespect meant to all of the other vendors at the North Market. ;)

4. mrpoppinzs February 5, 2013 5:02 pm at 5:02 pm

Walker, just admit you wanted to use the Thunderdomw line… ;)

5. deraj1013
    deraj1013 February 6, 2013 11:56 am at 11:56 am

These looked really good when I was at the market last weekend. It’s a shame I didn’t bring more cash or I would have tried them.

Since it’s a small business, they might not have to worry, but Mad Mac is also the name of Florian Bellanger’s macaroon operation in NYC.

6. chocolatcvrdnina February 7, 2013 5:06 pm at 5:06 pm

This is Nina Baked. Thanks for the love! I wanted to share the glory with Katalina’s Cafe Corner, where you can also find Mad Mac’s and where we’ve conspired to pair her Sweet & Spicy Bacon with my Cinnamon Rolls to deliver a rich and spicy punch in the face. Love the 400 Market, can’t wait to see more of you out this weekend!

7. leenyday February 7, 2013 7:29 pm at 7:29 pm

Katalina here. Renee’s macarons flew out my door, including some special Katalina-only flavors. Between Nina and Renee, I’m lucky to have the bestest bakers in town (also Yummy Cakes).