Entertainment

Karma Nightclub sending the right vibe to Columbus

Walker Evans Walker Evans

Press Release:

KARMA NIGHTCLUB FOCUSED ON SENDING THE RIGHT VIBE TO COLUMBUS.

COLUMBUS, OH. December 2006.

KARMA nightclub, the newest addition to the entertainment lineup in downtown Columbus, is set on not only making an impact on Columbus nightlife, but making a difference in the city as well.

In its quest to appeal to diverse groups of people, the management of KARMA has set as one of its goals to foster an attitude of giving back to the community. “The whole concept around the name “KARMA” is what goes around comes around and good things happen to good people,” says President Hani Shalash. “At KARMA, we want our employees as well as our patrons to put out a positive vibe by doing good things that impact people in a positive way.”

Located at 303 S. Front Street in downtown Columbus, KARMA is part of a growing number of businesses who are interested in revitalizing the downtown area. “The River South district of the city is slowly coming to life,” says C.J. Kamalay, General Manager of KARMA. “We’re excited about the renovation of this building and the part we will play in strengthening downtown Columbus.”

KARMA has plans to host, support and promote various charity events throughout the year. The nightclub will open its doors for business to the public on Saturday, December 16th with a huge Vegas-inspired grand opening entitled “Welcome to Fabulous Columbus.” A portion of the grand opening proceeds will go to the Downtown Residents Association of Columbus (DRAC) for the Bicentennial Park Flower Fund.

Hours of operation are Wednesday through Saturday, 6:00PM to 2:30AM for Moksha Lounge, 9:00PM to 2:30AM Friday and Saturday for Nirvana and Bliss. KARMA will be closed Sunday through Tuesday.

ABOUT KARMA – KARMA is a full-service age 21 and over nightclub providing light appetizers, alcoholic beverages, entertainment, live music and dancing. Positioned in downtown Columbus, KARMA is located on the corner of Front and Main Streets. Safe and convenient parking is located in close proximity to the facility. Valet services will be available on an as needed basis. KARMA offers a wide variety of entertainment venues on its premises, as well as extensive convention and corporate services.

For additional information, visit the KARMA website at www.karmacolumbus.com .

KARMA. TRANSCENDED NIGHTLIFE.

34 Responses to Karma Nightclub sending the right vibe to Columbus

1. WILDMAN December 12, 2006 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm

is it me or did i not see what type of music they are playing for each night? :? hopefully that info. will be updated for us to know.

2. gramarye
    gramarye December 12, 2006 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm

It’s the revolutionary new “countdown” system:

Day 1: Top 40

Day 2: Top 30

Day 3: Top 20

Day 4: Top 10

Day 5: they just pick the one trendiest song on the market and play it over and over and over and over …

3. Neil Jaye
    Neil Jaye December 13, 2006 6:40 am at 6:40 am

I too wish there was some info on the music. The website says nothing and the press release is void as well. To me, that means either they do not have it set yet – which does speak well – or it’s going to be main stream which doesn’t require any emphasis on the music. I checked the website of the opening night DJ and he’s your typical LA., Vegas celeb club DJ, i.e. spins top-40 and mainstream hip-hop (I am not slamming the guy…I am sure he’s great at what he does…it’s just not for me) in the vein of DJ AM. If that’s a sign of things to come they’ll probably do good business, but probably will not appeal to *most* people who frequent CU.com….but if someone has info that proves me wrong, I’d love to hear it.

Oh, funny post Gramarye.

Walker December 13, 2006 8:45 am at 8:45 am

I want to see DJ Earl at Karma! ;)

5. art lyfe December 13, 2006 8:58 am at 8:58 am

So look at walkers avatar and tell me that DJ Earl is not walker with a mustache! LOL

Walker December 13, 2006 9:26 am at 9:26 am

I actually considered going as Earl for Halloween but it would have taken me a long time to grow that nice of a moustache.

Plus, I haven’t owned any flannel shirts since I was 14 and Nirvana was still cool. :lol:

7. ddavis December 13, 2006 11:57 am at 11:57 am

Neil Jaye wrote typical LA., Vegas celeb club DJ, i.e. spins top-40 and mainstream hip-hop (I am not slamming the guy…I am sure he’s great at what he does…it’s just not for me) in the vein of DJ AM.

I actually have a tiny bit more respect for DJ AM after seeing this video.

8. Neil Jaye
    Neil Jaye December 13, 2006 6:47 pm at 6:47 pm

Don’t get me wrong…I saw DJ AM at LAX in LA last year and he’s talented as hell.

9. scottlitch
    scottlitch December 13, 2006 7:40 pm at 7:40 pm

10. WILDMAN December 14, 2006 8:18 am at 8:18 am

scottlitch wrote I can def. get into some mashed up pop music. I just don’t like how most DJ’s around Columbus will just play a track out. There are a few exceptional “Top 40″ DJ’s in C-bus though, Samurai and DJ Surge come to mind…

I know Samurai and i have been watching him spin for a few years and the man knows how to make Top 40 sound good. i’m not a big fan of top 40 but when he and Surge spin, its pretty damn good. 8)

11. complexity
    complexity December 14, 2006 1:05 pm at 1:05 pm

where these dudes at?

12. WILDMAN December 14, 2006 1:26 pm at 1:26 pm

complexity wrote where these dudes at?

you can catch Samurai at Lights over at CrossWoods.

13. Schoolboy
    Schoolboy December 14, 2006 3:03 pm at 3:03 pm

Samurai made the Carlile Club pop every Thursday back in the day.

He’s my idol ;)

14. complexity
    complexity December 14, 2006 3:45 pm at 3:45 pm

can’t see myself driving to crosswoods to drink,

people actually party out there?

15. Schoolboy
    Schoolboy December 14, 2006 3:59 pm at 3:59 pm

they party hard up north actually

light always looks packed

i hit those smaller bars way out there north on sawmill from time to time. older ladies in their mid to late 30′s with high alcohol tolerances can be found in abundance.

16. WILDMAN December 15, 2006 8:15 am at 8:15 am

complexity wrote can’t see myself driving to crosswoods to drink,

people actually party out there?

Lights is actually a pretty good time. it is a older crowd though which doesn’t bother me. just as long as i have a good time with no drama, i’m good to go. 8)

17. WILDMAN December 15, 2006 8:19 am at 8:19 am

Schoolboy wrote Samurai made the Carlile Club pop every Thursday back in the day.

He’s my idol ;)

that is very true. he had the downstairs rockin back in the day. he also use to be over at Arlington Cafe back in the day as well. i miss those days. keep up the good work Samurai!! 8)

18. tinarave December 16, 2006 2:39 am at 2:39 am

Though it appears as if the Karma subject has disappeared, I must post my thoughts…I had to go to the club tonight to take photos. It was INCREDIBLE!!! I was honestly expecting to be disappointed b/c so many people have redone the place and it always seems to look the same, but the remodeling was actually really good. The sound system is incredible – it was so loud I could feel my hair vibrating. The music was great, lots of good progressive house, which I have missed. All the rooms seem to have different themes, and I think they’re going to do different events/DJs in each room in order to keep a “diverse” feel. If they can consistently fill this place up, it will be a great nightlife destination, in my opinion. I loved it and can’t wait to go back!!! :D I truly miss the BIG ROOM CLUB!

19. columbus_local December 16, 2006 9:32 am at 9:32 am

you obviously work at the club.

Walker December 16, 2006 10:17 am at 10:17 am

Nope, she doesn’t.

Just having a positive opinion about a place doesn’t mean you work there. :P

21. dajinni December 16, 2006 1:06 pm at 1:06 pm

22. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 16, 2006 1:16 pm at 1:16 pm

well, after seeing the flyers…I guess the fact that this is all sponsored by big cheeze entertainment shouldn’t be surprising.

23. Ltrgman December 16, 2006 5:48 pm at 5:48 pm

I wonder what the cover is for any other night… hopefully not $15.

Looks like the Asian Night ish will only be in one of the rooms. $10-15 to see the same ppl I see any other night at Sugar or Spice… ehh I’m straight.

Being Asian and all, I even think the Asian Night novelty has worn out… long time ago. I guess it can still be appealing for the younger kids still in college *shrugs.

24. whackamullet December 16, 2006 7:30 pm at 7:30 pm

dajinni wrote Looks like they are gearing the first night as Asian night with $15 to get though the doors. A Vegas like event comes at a Vegas like price I guess. I guess someone needs to pay for all those plasmas.

25. gramarye
    gramarye December 17, 2006 12:00 am at 12:00 am

“If you’re not cool enough to know, you’re not cool enough to go.”

(That was sarcasm, for the satirically challenged.)

26. WILDMAN December 18, 2006 8:44 am at 8:44 am

did anyone go this club saturday night? if so, how was it?

27. ballbrite December 18, 2006 1:08 pm at 1:08 pm

I didn’t go Saturday, but I did stop in Thursday night for the friends and family event. The club looks awesome!! I worked at Red Zone for 3 years and could not believe the difference!! I recommend at least checking out the place, you will be amazed!!

28. cahill December 18, 2006 1:46 pm at 1:46 pm

when there is no cover, or at least not a $15 cover i might check this out. I can’t begin to think about paying that much.

29. Ndcent
    Ndcent December 18, 2006 2:03 pm at 2:03 pm

whackamullet wrote uhhhhhhhhhh, great flier. very asiany and all. BUT, id suggest a little less focus on its supreme asianness and a little more attention to basic details, like when this overpriced asiany experience will take place. another case of careless asianing.

LOL!

30. ambererin December 19, 2006 6:22 pm at 6:22 pm

I need to hear a review of Karma.. I respect the fact they want ‘good karma’ and are going to help out charities, but the flyers aren’t persuading me…

31. cri_helper December 31, 2006 2:10 pm at 2:10 pm

I went there for the invite opening (the one that Miss Bella wrote about), and the venue was 90% done at the time, and I am not sure if they are getting the crowd that they hoped for–or any at all for that matter. The staff was awesome and the space had potential. If they have a promotin person, that should help–b/c without one, they are going to struggle. I do like the bottle servce area in the main room, and the back room with the bamboo waterfall was cute too! I was dissapointed to hear that they were going to try to get $10 from people at the door though…

Walker January 1, 2007 7:43 pm at 7:43 pm

cri_helper wrote I was dissapointed to hear that they were going to try to get $10 from people at the door though…

I think every new club does that when they first open and it dies off pretty quick unless they have some entertainment worthy of charging a cover for.

I’ll probably try to check out Karma sometime soon. Hopefully we’ll hear about some more events there soon.

33. cahill January 10, 2007 3:21 pm at 3:21 pm

I stopped by there last Friday. I didn’t get there until around 12:30 because my boyfriend didn’t get off work until late :( But, when we got there, there was only about 15-20 people there, and only that small front room was open. I was told they had 2 djs, and there’s a bigger room in there as well. But, the bouncers said it wasn’t open. I don’t get out much as most know, but i’d never seen that DJ before at any club. His music was not top 40, more house. He was good, it’s a shame not more people were there. We stayed for 2 drinks then went on home. It’s pretty inside, but i can’t remember being in there before when it was Redzone other than when it first opened.

34. Miss_Cort February 7, 2007 12:48 am at 12:48 am

i went into karma one friday night after close, it looked amazing. big difference from redzone.

unfortunately i didn’t get a chance to hear any of the music that is played since it was after close, but i did see some girls walking around in go’go get’ups. are they the bartenders or just dancers?

hopefully i’ll get a chance to make it out there sometime soon. but unfortunately i think some people don’t want to go because there are no other bars within walking distance.

i’ve also heard through the grapevine that the girls who used to “work” at major woodys are now coming to karma to do “promotions“. anyone else hear that?

entertainment categories