Jobu Ramen Coming to Grandview Avenue

Ayana Wilson Ayana Wilson Jobu Ramen Coming to Grandview AvenuePhotos via Jobu Ramen.

Good bowls of ramen can be hard to find in this city. So when Michael Kopfman, who works for the Cameron Mitchell family of restaurants, came back from a trip to the Bay Area, he decided to bring his new-found passion for the Asian street food to Columbus.

Kopfman teamed up with John Franke of local Mashita Noodles Food Cart, and together the guys will be opening Jobu Ramen this May in Grandview. The new restaurant will be located at 1439 Grandview Avenue, the former site of Mazah Mediterranean Eatery.

Customers will not have to wait that long to try Kopfman and Franke’s take on ramen though. This Friday and Saturday, March 28th and 29th, Jobu Ramen will host a pop-up at Double Happiness in the Brewery District to preview their menu.

jobu-ramen-02

Diners will be able to choose from at least three different kinds of broth that they can then customize with meats, vegetables, and eggs. There will also be house-made kimchi, BBQ kimchi burritos, and five-spice Kara-aged wings. There will also be a special spicy ramen for those who dare.

“We are extremely excited about this event,” shares Kopfman and Franke. “We cannot wait to share our love of this art with such an awesome city.”

The pop-up dinner will run from 5pm till midnight. Double Happiness is located at 482 South Front Street. For more on Jobu Ramen, visit www.joburamen.com.

18 Responses to Jobu Ramen Coming to Grandview Avenue

1. mrsgeedeck March 26, 2014 10:14 am at 10:14 am

Cannot wait to try this! Any word on weather they also have vegetarian options (vegetable broth at least)?

2. Ekopfman March 26, 2014 10:30 am at 10:30 am

There will be delicious vegetarian and vegan options available!

3. andy March 26, 2014 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm

this is great! but where is Mazah going?

4. Ekopfman March 26, 2014 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm

Mazah is just moving to the corner where Grinders used to be (a bigger space for them!)

• andy March 27, 2014 12:31 am at 12:31 am

that’s awesome!

we’ve been getting our ramen fill at tensuke market, where the ramen, udon, & soba are as good as anything I had in japan. but it will be great to have a ramen place I can walk to! now if only we had a decent sushi restaurant on grandview ave (the current options don’t rate very well, though I’m not naming names here…)

5. catnfiddle March 26, 2014 2:08 pm at 2:08 pm

I have never had real ramen and need to shake the taste memory of the cardboard noodle I slurped down in college. This should do the trick.

6. wastubbs
    wastubbs March 26, 2014 3:28 pm at 3:28 pm

Is that meant to be “karaage wings”?

7. Twixlen March 26, 2014 3:53 pm at 3:53 pm

Oh man. After a recent experience with ramen – the noodles were great, but the broth smelled like a cinnamon toaster pastry, and tasted equally sweet – I have been craving savory, rich broth. Looking forward to trying this!

8. ayayay March 26, 2014 3:53 pm at 3:53 pm

Cucumber and avocado in ramen? Are you kidding me? This is not real japanese ramen.

• DavidF
      DavidF March 27, 2014 1:09 pm at 1:09 pm

Who cares? Good is good. The quest for “authentic” is highly overrated. My first wife was Chinese and when her parents emigrated here, I was embarassed when we ran across Americanized Chinese food. They could have cared less. All they wanted was delicous. Got me over my food snobbery pretty quickly.

• ayayay March 27, 2014 5:11 pm at 5:11 pm

I do. Lately there are so many so called ramen places popped up. Over priced for watery broth ramen. Maybe you don’t care spending your money on so-so food. But i sure the hell dont wanna waste my money on nasty food.

• DavidF
          DavidF April 3, 2014 2:24 pm at 2:24 pm

Again, authentic and good are not the same thing. It doesn’t have to be “authentic” to be worth trying. If it’s sub par, then it doesn’t matter whether it meets some arbitrary test of authenticity.

• ayayay April 3, 2014 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm

i only said this is not real japanese ramen in my first comment. I did not say if the ramen at jobu’s is good or not. I have tried those non “authentic” ramen places and most are horrible and overpriced.

• melikecheese
      melikecheese April 10, 2014 9:26 am at 9:26 am

Ramen to me is like the word salad. It’s only a foundation to be built on. Get creative, or go to Japan.

9. andy March 27, 2014 12:44 am at 12:44 am

by the way, in case anyone was curious, I emailed Jobu to ask if they will have gluten-free options, and they wrote back:

• andy March 27, 2014 12:45 am at 12:45 am

not sure the html worked on my last comment. here’s what they wrote:

“We will be using rice noodles when we open, and are working with our noodle manufacturer to make an actual gluten free ramen noodle. All of our broths will be available gluten free as well. Thank you for your support.

Jōbu”

10. Circle8ght March 27, 2014 8:35 pm at 8:35 pm

these pictures look amazing! can’t wait to try it!

11. CatLady145 April 2, 2014 5:01 pm at 5:01 pm

I cannot wait!!! Tensuke Market is really great, but this stuff looks amazing :)