Art

Indie Art Capital = It’s Official

Coremodels Coremodels

So, although I haven’t talked much about what I’ve been doing so far with the IAC Initiative…I can, finally, reveal some of it.

Monday, December 10th, at the 5:00 City Council Meeting…

The Columbus City Council will be adopting a Resolution to officially declare Columbus as the Independent Art Capital of the World. The resolution is sponsored by Mary Ellen O’Shaughnessy, with a lot of hard work from Lelia Cady, her legislative analyst.

I have to tell you, walking the corridors of City Hall today…and seeing multiple cutouts of the IAC logo from the website on doors and bulletin boards, was simply amazing! As I was introduced around, I don’t think anyone needed an explanation as to what we were talking about…they knew, even if they didn’t know the specifics, what the IAC was.

There’s a lot more to come, but this is the first in the line of announcements and the most official of them, so I’m pretty excited!

p.s. Sorry Dan, I couldn’t get the shirts first, but I’ll grab them from you this week still and we can present them at the actual meeting.

123 Responses to Indie Art Capital = It’s Official

1. columbus November 28, 2007 6:24 pm at 6:24 pm

OMG…wha-wha-WHAT?

2. ndekke39 November 28, 2007 6:37 pm at 6:37 pm

Heck yeah!!!!

3. daniel
    daniel November 28, 2007 7:17 pm at 7:17 pm

WOW.

4. chaptal
    chaptal November 28, 2007 7:19 pm at 7:19 pm

Congratulations on getting this put into play!

5. Roland
    Roland November 28, 2007 7:53 pm at 7:53 pm

very impressed!!!

Buy you a drink at the next CU hangout.

6. LauraA November 28, 2007 8:04 pm at 8:04 pm

awesome! great job core!

7. Coremodels
    Coremodels November 28, 2007 8:21 pm at 8:21 pm

columbus wrote OMG…wha-wha-WHAT?

OH! Almost forgot, since you’re the youtube guy ;)

We will get a DVD of the event, the speech, the presentation, the whole shebang.

8. columbus November 28, 2007 8:36 pm at 8:36 pm

Coremodels wrote
    columbus wrote OMG…wha-wha-WHAT?

OH! Almost forgot, since you’re the youtube guy ;)

I’m outed on CU as that YouTube guy? I’m calling my lawyer.

I’ll be on vacation on that Monday (figures!). There’ll be a presentation!? Dang. Several others can easily stick it on YouTube. Press?

9. Coremodels
    Coremodels November 28, 2007 8:39 pm at 8:39 pm

columbus wrote I’m outed on CU as that YouTube guy? I’m calling my lawyer.

Yeah, apparently I’ll speak (or whoever…), there can be a few of us up at the actual podium, then Councilwoman O’Shaughnessy will hit some speaking points as well, followed by a reading of the actual resolution, and then presentation of the big formal scroll like thing :)

it is televised, on one of those CSpan type deals, but we’ll get a DVD too.

10. Coremodels
    Coremodels November 28, 2007 8:42 pm at 8:42 pm

BTW guys, this goes hand in hand with some other really amazing stuff, more tangible things actually benefitting the artists, but I’m just not to the point I can put them out there yet.

11. artbomb112 November 28, 2007 8:46 pm at 8:46 pm

Thanks Core. I appreciate your efforts. They will do us all good.

12. enzo
    enzo November 28, 2007 9:05 pm at 9:05 pm

Core rock on with your bad self. Altruism and just making the world a better place….love to you!

13. MikeReed
    MikeReed November 28, 2007 9:35 pm at 9:35 pm

A great display of how it’s about each of us doing our awesome part in our own unique way.

Truly inspiring.

That’s the spirit of this whole thing. And I know some of Core’s forthcoming details and they are awesome too.

:D

And each of us can do something equally awesome and fulfill on the promise of what it means to live in and create Columbus as the Indie Art Capital of the World.

14. Chris Sunami
    kitoba November 28, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm

Coremodels wrote

Good work Core! Although I still think it should be Independent Arts Capital…

15. cab124
    cab124 November 28, 2007 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm

Way to go, Core. Amazing!!

16. ZHC November 28, 2007 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm

wow very nice work. A very nice cornerstone to provide some legitimacy to the title. :-)

Walker November 28, 2007 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm

Nice work, Core!

:D

18. Tor~Johnson
    Tor~Johnson November 28, 2007 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm

hells yeah! :D

19. CbusIslander
    CbusIslander November 28, 2007 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm

Look forward to the coming announcements. Good Job!

Walker November 28, 2007 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm

Dear IAC,

On Monday December 10 at the 5:00 PM city council meeting, Council member

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy will introduce a resolution declaring Columbus the

Independent Art Capital of the World. Please join us for this historic

moment.

What: Resolution of Columbus City Council declaring Columbus the

Independent Art Capital of the World

When: City Council Meeting Monday December 10, 2007 5:00 PM

Where: City Hall 90 West Broad Street

City Council Chambers 2nd Floor

The resolution will be presented toward the beginning of the meeting and

visitors may park FREE in the city hall surface lot at Gay and Front Streets

at 5:00 PM and after. Bikes and scooters welcome! Walk around to the Front

Street entrance and go to the second floor, city council chambers. There are

plenty of seats and visitors are always welcome.

Council meeting will broadcast live on Columbus cable channel GTC-3 and will

re-broadcast in rotation for at least one week. The meeting begins with

customary formalities followed by resolutions of expression. I’d like a

photo op with the council member(s) and all the IAC people if we can manage

it. We have a photographer and feel free to bring your own camera, this is

serious but it’s also supposed to be fun. City council has a TV, e and radio

newsletter and I plan to include the IAC resolution as an opportunity to

talk about art and its role in civic life.

Maryellen has been busy with arts this year. She was appointed to the board

of the Greater Columbus Arts Council and began to explore artist work/live

space using seed money from council’s sustainable development fund. She

worked with Mayor Coleman to appoint the Columbus Art Commission (see:

Columbus City Codes 3115). Now she has the honor of sponsoring the IAC

resolution.

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy was elected to city council in 1997 and serves as

chair of the development committee and the public service & transportation

committee. She is political & policy advisor at Ohio AFL-CIO and is a

funeral director at her family business, the O’Shaughnessy Funeral Home on

historic East Town Street. She and her son, a senior at Columbus Alternative

HS, and their two dogs live near Goodale Park. Maryellen is an avid runner

and nationally ranked triathlete. She owns a moped but wishes for a Vespa.

Thanks for the opportunity to work together, and please contact me with any

questions. See you Monday!

Lelia Cady, Legislative Analyst to

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy, Member

Columbus City Council

City Hall: 645-8509

Cell: 327-3321

lecady@columbus.gov

21. Ndcent
    Ndcent November 29, 2007 9:04 am at 9:04 am

Label me impressed.

22. daniel
    daniel November 29, 2007 9:29 am at 9:29 am

Ndcent wrote Label me impressed.

23. MikeReed
    MikeReed November 29, 2007 9:31 am at 9:31 am

Maryellen O’Shaughnessy in case you would like a look. Take time to meet all your city council members while you are there.

24. Coremodels
    Coremodels November 29, 2007 9:38 am at 9:38 am

MikeReed wrote I’m impressed (I did not say surprised) by having such a forward thinking ardent supporter of the arts on City Council. Gives me hope.

Make no mistake too, Lelia is a huge supporter of the arts. She had quietly attended the Junctionview meeting, and has spent time as a collector and even dealer here in town.

It’s fantastic to have that kind of appreciation in those positions!

25. MikeReed
    MikeReed November 29, 2007 9:41 am at 9:41 am

Indeed. I have spoken to Lelia on several occasions about this.

Her contribution was HUGE- not intended as an oversight. :D

26. vespamary
    vespamary November 29, 2007 11:09 am at 11:09 am

Yeah Core!

27. Schoolboy
    Schoolboy November 29, 2007 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm

nice!!!

good job!!!

28. Manatee
    Manatee December 3, 2007 2:26 pm at 2:26 pm

Dang!! You mean if I got to this I may actually meet you?

That may be even more impressive than your very impressive PR feat!

Thanks, Booby!!

29. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 4:51 pm at 4:51 pm

30. Manatee
    Manatee December 3, 2007 4:57 pm at 4:57 pm

There’s about a gazillion opportunities to show coming up; furthermore, organize your own event and show there.

Coremodels has started an initiative to get stuff in local businesses; there are shows open for submission at Junctionview and one coming up at the North Market.

Or, you could try…. putting a portfolio together and going to some galleries. :)

31. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 3, 2007 4:58 pm at 4:58 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote Ok, so now that I’m a gallery-less artist living in the Indie Art Capital or the World, what club do I have to join to reap the benefits? Can I just say I’m an artist or are there qualifications of being considered an indie artist? Who do I have to impress? Which cool people do I have to know? Will I be hip enough or does my art carry me? Do I have to be part of a group? Seems like it at this point, anyway, but how deos that translate to independent? Call me confused, call me cynical, hell, you can even call me bitter for not being in the clique of artists that can get a gallery to look at their art, but I was just wondering.

Well, my personal recommendations would be:

1. Ask the question with sincerity instead of sarcasm

2. Read the numerous posts on the message board about what the initiative is all about.

3. Follow one said link to submit artwork as suggested.

There is no exclusivity, there is no club, there is an open agenda to do whatever it is you think will forward the movement. My own effort is to put the work of Columbus artists into public display (like City Hall) and to be included in that, simply shoot a couple jpegs with information on size and media to dave@coremodels.net.

If you want to go to the reading of the Resolution…well…just go.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I keep hearing this whole “I don’t feel included” thing from people who haven’t done anything to be included…except say “I don’t feel included”. I didn’t have any private meetings, learn any secret handshake, hell, I didn’t even go to the meeting at junctionview…I just started e-mailing and calling people to forward this thing.

32. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 3, 2007 5:07 pm at 5:07 pm

Live in Columbus. Make Art. Help to create it as a town where working artists want to live and have vast opportunities. See a hole in the offerings? Create something to fill it- everyone then gets to live in the world where your contribution (and those of others) help make it more awesome. That’s the formula. It is fundamentally up to you. People create the community.

Most formal galleries in Columbus have the traditional call for entires. Other places offer open calls toward more of a community building effort. There are also spots where you will want to stop in with a portfolio and talk about a show- from coffee shops to well respected galleries.

Seems like a good contribution you could make right now would be a resource for newly arrived artists in Columbus who are looking to figure things out. Many people could benefit form that, and you’d be getting answers to your questions.

I bet you could get a few people and several businesses and organizations interested in your project to help you out and probably inspire a few people a long the way.

33. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 5:22 pm at 5:22 pm

“Ask the question with sincerity instead of sarcasm”

Ok, yeah, true. I guess I’m a little reactionary and I’ve had a day in which I’ve been pushed to the frayed ends of my artistic string (for rent, I’m a graphic designer in a very corporate world and my freelance customers wouldn’t know art if it ran over their mommas). so I guess I came across as smart ass. I’m also coming off standing outside being pelted by ice during the holiday hop trying to sell some art (“oh, how nice..” – COMPLIMENT THE ART WITH MONEY, WOMAN!), so I guess I have an attitude.

So, with that apology out of the way, what can I do? How can I be involved? Like I said, I’m a graphic designer for rent so any kind of official shit I could work on.

34. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 3, 2007 5:25 pm at 5:25 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote Actually, you know what we should do? Let’s have a good old-fashioned Salon, held at the Convention Center that’s open to artists in Columbus to show what we have to offer, all in one fell swoop. We could do it annually and where the artist and the salon organization split the proceeds of sales. This would help raise the visibility of a lot of artists who don’t know how to get a show (ok, maybe that’s me) or can’t fomr one reason or another.

I think (but can’t swear to it, since I missed the meeting) that this was one of the things tossed around a little at Junctionview (or something similar).

I would definitely say, though, if you have images of your work please send it to me at dave@coremodels.net with sizes and media information. I’ve got a lot of things opening up for placement of local artists all over town and am still WAY shy of the amount of work I need.

35. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 3, 2007 5:43 pm at 5:43 pm

Great idea.

If you organize this I’d happily support/promote this as an aspect of the 2008 Inide Arts Conference that is in the planning.

In the lead up consider doing it monthly and at a spot that’s a little more low key- build it from the ground up. Consider one goal as a tangible resource for transplant artists.

You do those two things and you will have helped make Columbus stronger and you’ll have an instant community.

Post your 1st salon info on this site. I’ll attend.

36. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 5:48 pm at 5:48 pm

Well, there it is. I ask and, already I’m jumping in. Anyone on the board own a gallery or a display space? I’ll say it now, Salonlite will take place in February. Now to find a spot.

Any suggestions or anyone want to be involved? Hit me up via this board or at rfberry@wideopenwest.com.

Let’s kick some art ass!

37. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 3, 2007 5:50 pm at 5:50 pm

38. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 3, 2007 5:57 pm at 5:57 pm

I also know of a 25,000 square foot warehouse you can use should it still be operating to support the arts and efforts like this in February. :?

I’d prefer the other space to change things up, but that’s just so I can get out more. :o

39. daniel
    daniel December 3, 2007 5:59 pm at 5:59 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote Well, there it is. I ask and, already I’m jumping in.

bloody perfect. that truly is the way this whole thing rolls.

That and the nightly meetings at 3:33AM in the back of an undisclosed smoke-filled gentleman’s club where the secret clique sacrifices goats to the apparition of Christopher Columbus’ official portrait painters canine ‘Randy’.

40. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 6:01 pm at 6:01 pm

41. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 6:04 pm at 6:04 pm

[That and the nightly meetings at 3:33AM in the back of an undisclosed smoke-filled gentleman's club where the secret clique sacrifices goats to the apparition of Christopher Columbus' official portrait painters canine 'Randy']

I wondered what all that noise was. Here I was trying to get my lap dance on and there’s all this ruckus in back…

42. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 3, 2007 6:07 pm at 6:07 pm

Seriously.

That’s embodies the whole vision. It is called a call to action.

What’s missing in Columbus to make it the most awesome place ever- including for people who make art? How can I personally work to make that happen and enlist the help of others.

Then you just get to creating it by whatever means you can find or create.

Everyone has a dream they are either incubating or are about to stumble on.

43. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 3, 2007 6:08 pm at 6:08 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote well, hot damn, Mike. Sounds like a perfect space. That kind of room would open it up to a huge amount of artists. Just to see what sticks, I’m thinking of maybe opening the call to artists who haven’t shown in a gallery. I hate the idea of jurying the submissions, so a larger space would help. What do you think?

I emailed you. Let’s talk.

44. artbomb112 December 3, 2007 6:42 pm at 6:42 pm

Hey Greenhouse,

For starters, you could try submitting to Agora. It is a successful example of something happening that doesn’t jury work and it is already happening at the warehouse Mike talks about.

You could also join the Ohio Art League in the Short North. They have many shows that benefit their artists.

You could also try showing in a local retail or restaurant establishment. It always sounds like a small opportunity at first… but many of them are high traffic and lead to larger things.

I’m sure even hanging out on this board for a while, you will see the things happening and be able to take advance at them.

I also like the idea of you creating something of your own. And if you have a call to entires, let us know… I’m sure we could help find you artists.

Good luck.

45. scottlitch
    scottlitch December 3, 2007 7:22 pm at 7:22 pm

I’m lovin it!

46. roy
    roy December 3, 2007 7:34 pm at 7:34 pm

Greenhouse doesn’t deserve all this attention. S/he’s over on another page promoting vandalism.

47. greenhouse1014 December 3, 2007 7:38 pm at 7:38 pm

I’m not promoting vandalism. I’m saying that some of these graffiti artists could be commissioned to do sanctioned public art. I would never promote vandalism, just art. I don’t want to see anyones tag any more than anyone else does.

Oh, wierd way to shut try to shut down a lively conversation.

48. LauraA December 4, 2007 1:22 am at 1:22 am

greenhouse, i’m hosting a monthly show the last saturday of each month at junctionview called spark. it is a hang it yourself show, completely uncurated. the next one is dec 29 it is first come first serve. drop off of work is 2pm-5pm. pickup work the next day. the blog will be updated soon: http://www.sparkcolumbus.com

the first one was 2 weekends ago. over 30 artists and a decent crowd considering i threw it together in about a week (half of which i was sick).

i hope you’ll participate in the next one.

49. greenhouse1014 December 4, 2007 7:26 am at 7:26 am

Thanks, Laura-I’ll be there!

50. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 4, 2007 7:32 am at 7:32 am

Me too.

51. Manatee
    Manatee December 4, 2007 8:13 am at 8:13 am

You know what’s great? The fact that I’m trying to get enough art together to show at all of these upcoming things!

It’s the best complaint ever. :D

Aaaah, Columbus: I love you.

52. BARNeS. The Return December 4, 2007 8:28 am at 8:28 am

Coremodels wrote Depending on size and scope, for just some good wall space and location, that spot at Warren and High that DeVoe, Barnes and Russell used to show in a lot could be a consideration.

Whoa there, let’s not jump the gun. That space is spoken for and is being used right now. If you would like to hang work with us, please feel free to send images of your work via email to me. We are on a lease at that space and will be having shows on a regular basis (monthly/bi-monthly). I posted a little ditty last Friday about our show during Gallery Hop. It is a by appointment space only now, unless we are having an opening, of which each of you is welcome to attend. I will continue to post goings on on this site. Hope to see you all there for the next one!

53. columbus native December 4, 2007 8:40 am at 8:40 am

BARNeS. The Return wrote

Didn’t your mom teach you to share?

54. floofy December 4, 2007 9:00 am at 9:00 am

columbus native wrote
    BARNeS. The Return wrote

Didn’t your mom teach you to share?

55. Manatee
    Manatee December 4, 2007 9:06 am at 9:06 am

Sausage party!

56. LauraA December 4, 2007 9:59 am at 9:59 am

greenhouse1014 wrote Thanks, Laura-I’ll be there!

MikeReed wrote Me too.

awesome :D

57. columbus native December 4, 2007 10:06 am at 10:06 am

sorry that I missed the last one and I will be out of state for the next one. Hopefully by January we will still have a home and a spark!!!

58. Manatee
    Manatee December 4, 2007 1:34 pm at 1:34 pm

59. trygr December 5, 2007 6:23 pm at 6:23 pm

skreened wrote

We don’t do that anymore.

60. LauraA December 5, 2007 9:23 pm at 9:23 pm

Manatee wrote I’d love to be involved in this but have slacked at the artmaking lately– might have a piece ready in a week or so…

woohoo manatee! you gotta make some work, i wanna see what you do. the next spark show is dec 29th. show old work it doesn’t matter. :wink:

Walker December 10, 2007 9:33 am at 9:33 am

The Dispatch wrote ‘Indie’ group promoting new city label

Monday, December 10, 2007

BY KEVIN JOY

Hey, did you hear? Columbus is expected to be declared the “Indie Art Capital of the World” tonight.

The what?

“It’s just an idea for supporting the creative community in Columbus,” said artist and software engineer Mike Reed, 36, of the North Side.

“It’s meant to be an inspiration, one that anyone can get behind.”

Taking a cue from Austin, Texas — dubbed “Live Music Capital of the World” in a 1991 resolution by the Austin City Council — Reed thought a similar concept would do wonders here.

The message caught the attention of Columbus City Councilwoman Maryellen O’Shaughnessy, who will present the resolution (which substitutes independent for indie) at tonight’s council meeting.

“We want to support the concept that these people are exploring,” O’Shaughnessy said. “I’m supportive of any and all efforts to encourage people to be engaged and think creatively.”

62. columbus native December 10, 2007 10:10 am at 10:10 am

Hell yeah dispatch action and who knew core was a lemmon!

63. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 10:14 am at 10:14 am

columbus native wrote Hell yeah dispatch action and who knew core was a lemmon!

:oops:

64. columbus native December 10, 2007 10:39 am at 10:39 am

Coremodels wrote
    columbus native wrote Hell yeah dispatch action and who knew core was a lemmon!

:oops:

It’s okay brother my girls name just got publicized in an international magazine.

65. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm

Parking Info for tonight:

“arrive at 5pm or a few minutes after and they can enter the city hall surface lot at Gay/Front. ONLY AFTER 5:00 may they select any open spot.”

66. columbus native December 10, 2007 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm

thanks!

67. Manatee
    Manatee December 10, 2007 1:57 pm at 1:57 pm

I would totally go to this, but have no car, and a kid, at that time of day.

And the child seat is across town.

So I think I’m getting some kind of message from fate, not to go :( .

68. LauraA December 10, 2007 2:05 pm at 2:05 pm

i’d give you a lift, but there’s no child seat in my car

69. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 2:07 pm at 2:07 pm

You can always catch it on the TV Manatee…although I’m not sure of the channel…

70. Manatee
    Manatee December 10, 2007 2:15 pm at 2:15 pm

Thanks!

I’ll look for it on TV.

I shoulda grabbed the kid seat this morning :x

71. Joem December 10, 2007 2:45 pm at 2:45 pm

excellent dispatch article.

<–yay first post.

72. AmyArt21
    AmyArt21 December 10, 2007 2:50 pm at 2:50 pm

I was just telling a colleague about IACOTW last night!

73. LauraA December 10, 2007 2:56 pm at 2:56 pm

i set it to record. it’s channel 3 for time warner. the gov’t access channel.

74. columbus native December 10, 2007 3:15 pm at 3:15 pm

AmyArt21 wrote I wish I could go to this!! I am so impressed with all the hard work that everyone has collectively put in to this endeavor. It is really amazing to think that barely 2 months ago, this was just an idea people were shooting around on CU! From the Other Paper & the ALIVE to the Dispatch and now City Council, the coverage has been great.

I was just telling a colleague about IACOTW last night!

So one day, I hope to make it to a meeting or something like that. It’s hard; work seems to conflict with all the fun stuff! :(It’s not hard work at all. It’s art and art is fun work if anything. I hope you do make it out to help the efforts amy. You contribute greatly with your art already.

75. Manatee
    Manatee December 10, 2007 4:56 pm at 4:56 pm

Hey, y’all, go to this page:

and click on “View A Council Meeting”.

Supposedly you can watch in real-time!

…And such nice Vivaldi while you’re waiting. The Government is one classy establishment!

76. Manatee
    Manatee December 10, 2007 5:16 pm at 5:16 pm

Whhooaaa… they’re praying. :?:

77. Manatee
    Manatee December 10, 2007 5:19 pm at 5:19 pm

I’m pretty sure I need to watch these, always.

78. AmyArt21
    AmyArt21 December 10, 2007 5:45 pm at 5:45 pm

columbus native wrote

I was just telling a colleague about IACOTW last night!

Thanks! :)

I bet I should have rephrased my last comment, maybe it was confusing. (“It’s hard; work seems to conflict with all the fun stuff!”)

I meant that it’s hard finding the time. “Work” (the times I have to be at my teaching jobs that pay ye olde bills) sometimes conflict with the “fun” (making art, going to meet-ups/meetings/brainstorming sessions, peddling my wares, etc.)

I wish THAT could be the job that takes up most of my time.

Especially on days where I have to battle with 7th graders just to follow simple directions and work on their projects without smacking each other with rulers. *sigh*

79. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 6:55 pm at 6:55 pm

I thought it was really cool. The Council Chambers themselves are amazing, and Lelia worked hard to make sure that this was co-sponsored by every member of Council (which is apparently fairly rare).

I had to throw Mike Reed under the bus a little with some unprepared Q&A about the conference concepts…which he did wonderfully handling :)

And most importantly, there seemed to be a VERY genuine level of interest in this from Council, as a few of them had additional questions and comments.

I loved that they also all wanted invitations to the next Spark ;)

80. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 6:57 pm at 6:57 pm

p.s. As Artbomb said, that was a great prayer!

p.s.s. Thanks SOOOOOO much to everyone who came out, I’d say each person individually but then forget someone and end up sucking…so thanks to everyone.

81. LauraA December 10, 2007 7:06 pm at 7:06 pm

i agree. i thought the whole thing was really cool. it was great to meet leila and i can see this whole movement progressing in a really great way (and it is all moving so quickly!). everyone is incredibly supportive and i hope they all come out to spark to see at a grassroots level what is going on. to me it adds a lot of fuel to the fire, it’s one thing to work in my studio or start organizing shows but it brings it all to a new level when city council and others become personally vested in the movement as well. my civic pride is booming!

Walker December 10, 2007 9:18 pm at 9:18 pm

Yeah, was very cool for the IAC to be recognized by council tonight. Big props to Coremodels and Lelia and everyone else who made this happen.

:D

83. daniel
    daniel December 10, 2007 9:43 pm at 9:43 pm

when one stands before city council. . . where does one put one’s hands?

coremodels was pounding the podium, mike was covering his sensitive areas, laura was flipping her hair, and me, I had my thumbs in my pockets – cause regardless of what the cameras saw, that’s where all the action was.

???

why did i just post this?

84. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 10, 2007 9:48 pm at 9:48 pm

skreened wrote when one stands before city council. . . where does one put one’s hands?

???

why did i just post this?

those weren’t your thumbs, and you were pounding the podium…

I am washing up now though…

85. greenhouse1014 December 13, 2007 10:24 am at 10:24 am

got some good news today. Alive and hotcards have both agreed to be sponsors for the upcoming EMERGE show at Junctionvew. It’s exciting here because the whole idea came about on this very message thread. I’m currently preparing a call for entries, but if anyone knows someone who has never shown in a gallery, please have them send a few samples to rfberry@wideopenwest.com

The show is scheduled to be held at Junctionview (THANKS!!!!!!!!!!) and will open Feb. 9, with work hung by Feb 2.

86. daniel
    daniel December 13, 2007 10:33 am at 10:33 am

it occurs to me that with all of these upcoming calls for entries, we may need more art.

we should get some materials donated to people who don’t have any.

get brushes and paint and whatever else in the hands of we who are outsiders.

anyone have contacts at art supply stores or wholesale? Perhaps we can solicit a donation, and host a giveaway for these things.

87. Manatee
    Manatee December 13, 2007 10:40 am at 10:40 am

Yeah, for real. Poor mama needs 10,000 cc’s of art supplies, STAT!

88. columbus native December 13, 2007 10:59 am at 10:59 am

utrecht will offer up gift cards as a sponsorship in some cases. This seems like it may be a bit large for the scope of these events. However if the community stands up and buys art then the artists will be on a roll. So possibly we need more people to buy art then people to sponsor events.

This in turn means that the artist need to supply a product worthy of purchase for thier asking price. Hell we may need to get some critiques and round table meetings going on how to price to sell our artwork even.

89. greenhouse1014 December 13, 2007 1:08 pm at 1:08 pm

90. ArtExchange December 13, 2007 2:06 pm at 2:06 pm

——

Kristin Meyer, Director

The Art Exchange, Ltd.

17 East Brickel Street

Columbus, Ohio 43215

91. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 13, 2007 2:11 pm at 2:11 pm

ArtExchange wrote please let me know if there is anyway i can help or contribute. the funds are a little dry since the move, but i’d love to help in any way i can. even something as simple as my mailing list. powers that be, just let me know.

——

Kristin Meyer, Director

The Art Exchange, Ltd.

17 East Brickel Street

Columbus, Ohio 43215

Thanks a ton Kristin, and just adding one more name to the list of people involved in the arts in Columbus is a huge bonus ;)

Hope the new space is treating you guys well!!!

92. LauraA December 13, 2007 2:19 pm at 2:19 pm

???

why did i just post this?

was i really flipping my hair? :oops:

93. columbus native December 13, 2007 2:31 pm at 2:31 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote I think it would be nice for some dealers to step up and take the cause to heart and start getting with more of the local artists. It’s fine to host a show or for artists to talk about it but the base of the whole thing is that we are artists and, working in the corporate world, artsists are not the best business epople, especially when it comes to our own stuff. (stream of consciousness) Maybe what we need are business people, accountants, marketing people, etc, who are interested in teh arts, but can’t or don’t DO art to help us all out.

This goes against the spirit of Indie Arts. The second you need something you cannot provide is the exact moment you loose your independence.

Astist in the end are responable for selling their work. So honestly it becomes the job of an artist to become the businessman in the long run.

94. daniel
    daniel December 13, 2007 2:41 pm at 2:41 pm

columbus native wrote ]

all due respect, i couldn’t disagree more.

95. greenhouse1014 December 13, 2007 3:13 pm at 3:13 pm

columbus native wrote

yeah, no disrespect, but that’s kind of a load. Artists are there to create art, not run a business, keep books, etc. We CREATE art. Business requires a whole different mindset and wow, that’s exactly what I need is more crap that I’m trying to figure out how to do instead of creating art. Business is business and art is art. Just because you look outside yourself for something does not take your independence away. Being independent does not mean alone, it means that you are doing what you do without corporate support. If you take your definition, anytime someone gives you blank canvas, art supplies, or simply encouragement, you lose your independent status.

You’re gonna tell me that an artist is not independent if he uses a dealer to sell his art or an accountant to make sure he’s not committing tax fraud or an attorney to look over contracts? That’s not an independent artist, that’s a broke forever artist who never has time to create.

96. columbus native December 13, 2007 3:15 pm at 3:15 pm

I fully appreciate your oppinion on this.

I guess it may be better stated the second you rely on someone else you loose you independence. This is about art and not funding in the long run. Columbus already had organizations that were supposed to support the arts, but the artist didn’t get the propers till we took it into our own hands. So long as we keep it that way we have control, but if we need then we become needy.

SO if we look to make our own budget monay as opposed to asking for it we as artists will hold more say in the end result. If we need corporate money then we fall victum to what they want in exchange. We need to hold the power of this movement as artists. This being said we need to nurture more galleries that are artist owned and more shows that give back to the community. For exqampe the OAL made what about 30,000 at their one night event recently. That was all of our art and could have gone to the IAC movement if we organized it. I know that the IAC would do better things then the OAL would do directly for the artists. SO we hold the power in our hands and just simply need to know how to make it work for us.

97. Coremodels
    Coremodels December 13, 2007 3:15 pm at 3:15 pm

Well, some artists (and I think Coreroc fits that list) tend to be exceptionally good at marketing themselves…but I think that’s the exception more than the rule. So, although where I see his point, I also agree that partnerships with local business and government are what will add to the legs of this whole thing considerably.

I can’t draw a stick figure, but I can communicate/market/sell so that’s what I’ve chosen to do…if I can help artists just make art and display and sell it by doing that part for them, I’m thrilled to have the opportunity. I doubt I’m alone in that.

p.s. I also agree that reliance on those partners would be devastating…a partnership is equal on all sides.

98. daniel
    daniel December 13, 2007 3:34 pm at 3:34 pm

I’m personally seeing this as being less about art and more about the joy of living in a city with a purpose. This is just another way for all of the citizens to imagine and reference our city.

Helping artists is part of it, but for my participation, I’m for increasing the status of our city on a global level leveraging our status and vision for the arts as a stepping stone.

EDIT: emphasis on PERSONALLY. I’ve got a perspective that includes business and culture. There, no doubt, have to be people who are really working with artists in the nitty gritty of everything.

99. MikeReed
    MikeReed December 13, 2007 3:53 pm at 3:53 pm

columbus native wrote

Collaborations are a good thing. Galleries are still relevant and are a viable option for artists- if you consider yourself independent or not.

Agreed.

To you maybe. To me it means being independent of mainstream art locales- NYC, Paris. To someone else- something else.

Choosing how involved to be with businesses and galleries is an independent choice (one I think artists should embrace, that’s me).

100. columbus native December 13, 2007 3:56 pm at 3:56 pm

greenhouse1014 wrote
    columbus native wrote

Thats an artist that never has control of his situation. This in turn is not an independent artist, but one that relies on others to get what they are deserved. These artists will end up loosing most of their income iin order for others to handle their business. It will in turn take this kind of artist twice as long to make ends meet. So if this kind of artist takes the time and effort to square up his approach then in the long run he will have more time and money to create with, but hey if you want to surrender 50% to the gallery and hire an lawyer with your remaining 50% and view the 20% left over a suitable for your work then so be it. I personally would reather get all of the money from my sales and hold my own fate in my own hands.

Again this is my thoughts and I don’t assume all will agree, but I hope that everyone considers what i am talking about. If you disagree then feel free to submit your work to Mac Worthington Gallery they will charge you an arm and a leg to show your work and you won’t have to do shit but paint. Just tell me how that works out for you when the anal swelling goes down.

art categories