Looking for a fun (and free!) event to do with your kids this Saturday? The Hills Market is offering an educational food day for kids to coincide with their Annual Farmers’ Market and Pancake Breakfast. The Pancake Breakfast runs from 8am to 11am with 50% of the pancake sales (a stack with sausage and coffee for $5) benefiting Brookside Elementary’s “Food Is Elementary” program. The Farmers’ Market begins at 10am and ends at 2pm. Food Is Fun! Kids Food Day will run from 11am to 1pm. The day will offer classes about food for kids ages 2-15, free Boar’s Head Hot Dogs, live chickens from Manchester Hill Farm and Children’s Hospital’s Mobile Unit. Jill Moorhead, Marketing Director for The Hills Market tells us more about the event and what you can expect throughout the day.
AE: The Hills Market is always packed throughout the summer with weekend events. What was the driving factor behind a Kids Event?
JM: Velvet Ice Creams has a relationship with Children’s Hospital. (A certain percentage of the sales of Birthday Cake Ice Cream this summer go directly to the hospital). They approached us about wanting to be involved in any kid-centric events that we may have, which, along with customer requests for kids cooking class, sparked the idea for a larger, free event to go alongside our Farmers’ Market. We’ve partnered with both Local Matters and Slow Food Columbus in the past, and asked them to help us envision an event that would reflect the missions of both organizations. We’re thrilled to be working alongside them this Saturday, and hope that this will be the first of many Kids Food Days at The Hills Market.
AE: What will some of the classes be? Will they be happening at the same time?
JM: All of the presentations will happen concurrently, and are designed for parents and kids to wander in and out, as needed. There will be six presentations:
- Rachel Tayse Baillieul of Hounds in the Kitchen will present “Lesson in Tortillas” – how to make handmade tortillas with queso blanco or salsa. Targeted for kids from 3 to 6 years old, but she can accommodate anyone.
- Tricia Wheeler of Edible Columbus will be leading “Salad in a Bag” – demonstrating how to make a Salad in a Bag, using Ohio products (such as honey from Honeyrun Farm.) Kids will be able to make (and eat) their own salad. Class is for older kids.
- Angel King of Blue Jacket Dairy demonstrating “How to Stretch Mozzarella.”
- Slow Food Columbus‘ “Taste Education Station” – Leah Rond from Slow Food Columbus will have kids (and parents) taste three different delicious dishes and have the kids guess what they’ve just tried.
- Velvet Ice Creams will be presenting “The Science of Ice Cream” – making ice cream and teaching kids about the process.
- Local Matters will be educating on “Food Is Art” – a part of their Food is Elementary program.
Presentations will take place in front of the shopping center and inside the store. Our parking lot will host our Annual Farmers’ Market, which features some of our favorite Ohio vendors and their wares from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
If you go: The Hills Market is located at 7860 Olentangy River Road, Columbus, OH 43235-1370. Phone: (614) 846-3220.