Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

Your First Day as a Vegan?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Your First Day as a Vegan?

This topic contains 580 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Red Sun Rising 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 594 total)
  • Author
    AmyD
    AmyD
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Red Sun Rising, you seem like a really nice person. really. we’ve emailed. it’s been nice. but i really wish that you didn’t use statements like this, “Vegans eschew dairy because they believe it is wrong to treat other individuals, human and non human alike, as property.”

maybe say that YOU feel that way. it makes me uncomfortable.

AmyD
    AmyD
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

past that! i have a great recipe for vegan fluffy white pancakes. it’s not healthy at all, but i’m not a fan of health food anyway and just because it’s vegan doesn’t meant it has to taste like dirt!
    oh! it has Bisquick in it. i know. terrible. and so delicious.

1.use however much Bisquick you think you will want
    2.put about a cup of soymilk in a different bowl.
    3.to the soymilk, add a 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
    stir that around until it’s curdled and looks like buttermilk. if it’s thin, add a little more lemon
    4.to the Bisquick, add some baking powder. i usually add about a T. this is for about 2 cups of Bisquick. if you like sweet, add some sugar
    5. if you have some vanilla, put a tsp in the milk.
    6. pour the milk into the Bisquick. do it slowly and keep adding it until it looks like pancake batter.
    7. fry those babies up

i do this and no one can tell it’s not regular pancakes.

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

rus wrote >>
    http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/vegetarianism.htm
    tl;dr version: Not all Buddhists are veg, and that’s got little to do with western influence.

Good point Rus.

Wouldn’t you agree that passively accepting whatever is given to you when you are often only surviving from handouts is different than one who actively demands animal products for sustenance? It clearly states that they were not to demand animal products. Some only deviate if offered under the parameters described. As they say, “beggars can’t be choosers”. And they have different sects or classifications that define those deviations in behavior. I’m inclined to agree that eating a dead animal that was intentionally slaughtered, versus one that died of natural causes, would be different, still revolting to me at this point and not likely eaten unless under duress, but not the same as intentional slaughter. Unlike western cultural norms, Buddhists observing ahimsa don’t demand animals be killed for their use; although not all Buddhists observe ahimsa, and they have sects that identify that deviance in behavior. Like any discipline, people have varying degrees of commitment and motivations. Just as there isn’t a Buddhist police monitoring every Buddhist’s behavior everywhere, nor is there a vegan police.

The point here was to illustrate that there are cultures beyond recent vegans who in fact have abstained from directly using animals for the sake of living a non violent life for centuries. As have many of the early philosophers and educators. I will concede that all Buddhists aren’t all vegan or even vegetarian for that matter, as I said, “many” cases, result from western influence. I’ve personally known many who have only started eating meat and dairy after moving to the US too, not only those in colonized areas. I see that my previous statement erroneously implied that it was only from colonization or western influence.

Ahimsa, doing no harm or violence by respecting all living beings as sacred is still a doctrine of Buddhists. Those who actively deviate (including purchasing animal products from slaughter) from that are violating that tenant and no longer living in alignment with their proclaimed belief and discipline or perhaps identify that deviation by sect. It’s like saying all Christians aren’t 7th Day Adventists who don’t eat meat, in fact, the majority aren’t, and even many 7th Day Adventists still eat dairy and eggs. It happens everywhere. I’ve noticed it is becoming common for people to call their selves vegan when they are still eating and using animal products. Clearly they don’t understand the term and are using it loosely, which creates a problem muddying the waters and confusing people.

Additionally, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that someone from any group deviates in some way from their proclaimed doctrine. We are weak willed, and human, as they say and there is temptation and people actively trying to undermine those who show restraint everywhere. People change their minds about anything and everything in life, why would this be different? If I was in the monk’s shoes and starving and the only thing someone who came to my aid had to offer was meat, dairy or eggs, of course I would take it. I think monks are inclined not to potentially hurt someone’s feelings with refusing an earnestly kind offering from people who had nothing else too. They wouldn’t deserve to be stripped of the title of Buddhist and jettisoned from the community because of that occasional situation either if they were living in alignment 99.8 percent of the time. That’s the trouble with labels, and life is complex. Yet it is still a simple decision whether to intentionally participate, or not participate, in violence towards others.

dirtgirl
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The thing that turns me off to vegan (vs vegetarian) cooking is all the synthetic/processed ingredients it requires you to use. Fake eggs, margarine, veganaise… Can’t imagine what types of chemicals are required to make the texture work in those things. Obviously I’m missing the point about animal welfare (but I buy from local small dairies whenever possible), but I’d rather eat real food. The other problem is that a lot of the recipes require using nuts and my kids are allergic.

But all that said, Veganomicon is a great cookbook if you anyone is looking to get started. I got it on Amazon.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m not a vegan. I eat cheese and always will. BUT…I know that Daiya vegan cheese is supposed to be the tastiest and had been hard to find in the past. I’ve spotted it at Whole Foods now and at the Giant Eagle in Clintonville. Just FYI to anyone looking for it. Vegan friends say it’s really the only vegan option that behaves at all like cheese.

FWIW
    YMMV

Oh…and speaking even from a non-vegan perspective…Veganomicon is the slam. A vegan pal of mine got me a copy for Christmas. Good stuff in there for sure.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

AmyD wrote >>
    Red Sun Rising, you seem like a really nice person. really. we’ve emailed. it’s been nice. but i really wish that you didn’t use statements like this, “Vegans eschew dairy because they believe it is wrong to treat other individuals, human and non human alike, as property.”

Just wanted to say it’s nice to see your adorable mug on here. :)

+1 on the Veganomicon, which I use more often than just about any other cookbook, and +1 on AmyD’s vegan posole recipe she gave me. It goes really well with the Xochitl brand chips to which I am completely addicted smashed on top.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’d be interested in said posole recipe if you’d care to share. :)

I make a mean veggie chili originally based on this recipe…I make mine a wee spicier and I omit the fennel, lemon, and sugar business…just doesn’t need it. http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/spicy_vegetarian_chili/
    It’s goooood. I like it with shredded cheese and plain organic yogurt stirred in…scooped up with tortilla chips.

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

AmyD wrote >>

I’ve enjoyed our conversations as well Amy, I honestly think you are a nice person too, and wish that statement didn’t make you uncomfortable. True, I cannot and do not speak for every person’s exact motivation for becoming vegan or exactly what anyone believes. I should have qualified and began that statement with: Abolitionist Vegans, which is what I am. I would ask that you ask yourself what is disturbing about that statement, because when drilled down on, the animal’s status is of property (whether termed as “dominion”, “natural purpose in the circle of life” and as property under the laws in this land etc.) and not respected as individual rights holders to not be used for what ever purpose in this culture is the foundation of the justification for continued animal use; which generally equals violence towards them.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

I’ll find it and send it over, I could swear I had it in email. I make some modifications also – add more adobo and peppers to it and throw in whatever veggies make sense that I have on hand.

Thanks for the chili recipe, it’s getting close to the time that chili starts to sound really good again.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Awesome. I always modify recipes to use whatever I’ve got around. I don’t think I’ve ever made that veggie chili quite the same way twice.

Red Sun Rising
    Login to Send PM

dirtgirl wrote >>
    The thing that turns me off to vegan (vs vegetarian) cooking is all the synthetic/processed ingredients it requires you to use. Fake eggs, margarine, veganaise… Can’t imagine what types of chemicals are required to make the texture work in those things. Obviously I’m missing the point about animal welfare (but I buy from local small dairies whenever possible), but I’d rather eat real food. The other problem is that a lot of the recipes require using nuts and my kids are allergic.
    But all that said, Veganomicon is a great cookbook if you anyone is looking to get started. I got it on Amazon.

Good Point Dirtgirl!
    I agree, that processed foods should give people pause, to at least read the label, although you would be surprised that they are predominately not chemically based. I used to have the same squeamishness about anything “fake” too. Please note that not all vegan foods and recipes require processed substitutes. The best vegan cookbooks out there demonstrate that, as well as many of the raw food recipes books. A list of excellent vegan recipe books was actually going to be my next post.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I don’t know why I’m compelled to keep posting things, but I cook from this fella’s blog a lot. Everything I’ve picked has been a winner…

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/

ETA: This has become one of my fave home stir fries ever.

http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2007/12/cashew-and-tofu-stirfry.html

drew
    drew
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osulew wrote >>

I have decided to admit that I initially read ‘posole’ as ‘poodle’.

Given the thread, I quickly realized I was wrong.

rus
    rus
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

drew wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

Now I’m hungry. Thanks.

KSquared
    Login to Send PM

drew wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

Huh, then there would be a good use for poodles!

I kid, I kid.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 594 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?