Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Your Best Ramen suggestions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Your Best Ramen suggestions

This topic contains 37 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by vestanpance vestanpance 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    maxfood
    maxfood
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve been watching David Chang’s Mind of a Chef recently, and one of the eps shows he and a fellow traveler gobbling ramen in Japan – it looks amazing, certainly not the ramen I grew up with at 25 cents a package. Now I need a fix – any suggestions? Can’t say I’ve ever really looked for ramen as a destination food in Columbus – thx!

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    meltsintowonder
    meltsintowonder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ramen hasn’t really become big in Columbus yet. A friend recommended ZenCha but I haven’t seen any around town.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve made this a few times at home, uses noodles from two ramen packages..

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2011/12/faux-pho

Kahiki
    Kahiki
    Login to Send PM

The stuff at Tensuke Market is ok, but it’s definitely not the gourmet ramen that you’d find in NY or LA.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Most of the Japanese restaurants (Akai Hana, Basho, Kihachi, even Freshstreet) have a ramen, soba, udon dish, but to find a ramen specific shop won’t happen. I’d love to see one.

James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

maxfood said:
    I’ve been watching David Chang’s Mind of a Chef recently, and one of the eps shows he and a fellow traveler gobbling ramen in Japan – it looks amazing, certainly not the ramen I grew up with at 25 cents a package. Now I need a fix – any suggestions? Can’t say I’ve ever really looked for ramen as a destination food in Columbus – thx!

That’s funny. We’ve hit Pho, Tensuke and Kikyo in the last 2 week because of the Mind of a Chef series.

James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

maxfood said:

And Kikyo has a Ramen dish, which I didn’t try. We did have the Nabe Yaki Udon and Bibimbop which were great.

geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

James said:
    And Kikyo has a Ramen dish, which I didn’t try. We did have the Nabe Yaki Udon and Bibimbop which were great.

Kikyo’s has taken a turn for the worst when they changed ownership.

Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I like to get the plain noodles and build a soup around them. They come in the same wafers as the ramen packs, but I have a choice of rice, or wheat, with or without egg. I’ll use real stock instead of flavored powder, and include whatever good ingredients I happen to have.

derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

alexs said:
    I like to get the plain noodles and build a soup around them. They come in the same wafers as the ramen packs, but I have a choice of rice, or wheat, with or without egg. I’ll use real stock instead of flavored powder, and include whatever good ingredients I happen to have.

This. Head to CAM and surf the noodle sections(dried and fresh) Grab a tub of miso or any one of the millions bottles of seasonings in the first two aisles. Add whatever you have at home.

0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I second Akai Hana.
    Check the special board.

jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Not in Columbus, but if you’re visiting Cleveland, Noodlecat is worth a visit.

mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I think a pan-Asian noodle place like this would do very well in the Short North, Clintonville or campus:

http://www.boomnoodle.com/v2/

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Ha, I remember when I was excited for Oodles by the Giant Eagle.

But then… it wasn’t so exciting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?