Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Your Best Ramen suggestions

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Your Best Ramen suggestions

This topic contains 30 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  geoyui 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #95600
    maxfood
    maxfood
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I’ve been watching David Chang’s Mind of a Chef recently, and one of the eps shows he and a fellow traveler gobbling ramen in Japan – it looks amazing, certainly not the ramen I grew up with at 25 cents a package. Now I need a fix – any suggestions? Can’t say I’ve ever really looked for ramen as a destination food in Columbus – thx!

    #532014
    Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    #532015
    meltsintowonder
    meltsintowonder
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Ramen hasn’t really become big in Columbus yet. A friend recommended ZenCha but I haven’t seen any around town.

    #532016
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I’ve made this a few times at home, uses noodles from two ramen packages..

    http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/quick-recipes/2011/12/faux-pho

    #532017
    Kahiki
    Kahiki
    Member
    Login to Send PM

    The stuff at Tensuke Market is ok, but it’s definitely not the gourmet ramen that you’d find in NY or LA.

    #532018

    geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Most of the Japanese restaurants (Akai Hana, Basho, Kihachi, even Freshstreet) have a ramen, soba, udon dish, but to find a ramen specific shop won’t happen. I’d love to see one.

    #532019

    James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    maxfood said:
    I’ve been watching David Chang’s Mind of a Chef recently, and one of the eps shows he and a fellow traveler gobbling ramen in Japan – it looks amazing, certainly not the ramen I grew up with at 25 cents a package. Now I need a fix – any suggestions? Can’t say I’ve ever really looked for ramen as a destination food in Columbus – thx!

    That’s funny. We’ve hit Pho, Tensuke and Kikyo in the last 2 week because of the Mind of a Chef series.

    #532020

    James
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    maxfood said:
    I’ve been watching David Chang’s Mind of a Chef recently, and one of the eps shows he and a fellow traveler gobbling ramen in Japan – it looks amazing, certainly not the ramen I grew up with at 25 cents a package. Now I need a fix – any suggestions? Can’t say I’ve ever really looked for ramen as a destination food in Columbus – thx!

    And Kikyo has a Ramen dish, which I didn’t try. We did have the Nabe Yaki Udon and Bibimbop which were great.

    #532021

    geoyui
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    James said:
    And Kikyo has a Ramen dish, which I didn’t try. We did have the Nabe Yaki Udon and Bibimbop which were great.

    Kikyo’s has taken a turn for the worst when they changed ownership.

    #532022
    Alex Silbajoris
    Alex Silbajoris
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I like to get the plain noodles and build a soup around them. They come in the same wafers as the ramen packs, but I have a choice of rice, or wheat, with or without egg. I’ll use real stock instead of flavored powder, and include whatever good ingredients I happen to have.

    #532023

    derm
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    alexs said:
    I like to get the plain noodles and build a soup around them. They come in the same wafers as the ramen packs, but I have a choice of rice, or wheat, with or without egg. I’ll use real stock instead of flavored powder, and include whatever good ingredients I happen to have.

    This. Head to CAM and surf the noodle sections(dried and fresh) Grab a tub of miso or any one of the millions bottles of seasonings in the first two aisles. Add whatever you have at home.

    #532024

    0Angle
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I second Akai Hana.
    Check the special board.

    #532025
    jarsloth
    jarsloth
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Not in Columbus, but if you’re visiting Cleveland, Noodlecat is worth a visit.

    #532026

    mbeaumont
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    I think a pan-Asian noodle place like this would do very well in the Short North, Clintonville or campus:

    http://www.boomnoodle.com/v2/

    #532027
    Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

    Ha, I remember when I was excited for Oodles by the Giant Eagle.

    But then… it wasn’t so exciting.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?