Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion WWE wrestling superstar Chris Benoit

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  WILDMAN 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

I heard the news just not to long ago and i wanted to share this with the wrestling fans out there in the world. This is not a story line like they were doing with Vince being killed in the limo explosion. This is a great loss to the WWE fans across the world and a great loss to his family. He will be truly miss. Please say a prayer for him and his family. Thank you.

Chris Benoit, family found dead

Written: June 25, 2007STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2007 – World Wrestling Entertainment was informed today by authorities in Fayetteville County, Ga., that WWE Superstar Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and his son were found dead in their home. Authorities are investigating, but no other details are available at this time.

Instead of its announced programming for tonight on USA Network, WWE will air a three-hour tribute to Chris Benoit.

Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss.

WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

That is crazy. I knew he flew home last night for a “family emergency” that caused him to miss the PPV, wonder what the hell is going on???

EDIT: P.S. I had the opportunity to spend time with Chris about 7 years ago for an evening and he was an incredibly nice and compassionate guy. He was remarkably in love with his family too, so this is really bizarre.

EDIT 2: Apparently they’ve cancelled the Monday Night Raw live event entirely, which is a huge thing that would cost millions to do. They literally sent home a sold out arena.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

For an industry and a company that is noted as incredibly classless (and rightfully) most of the time, incredible class was shown just now.

Vince (who in storylines is dead) came, tearfully, to the center of the ring in an empty arena and introduced a 3 hour tribute to Benoit…instead of the live 3 hour HUGE event that had been planned.

Bravo.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

One last thing, for anyone who has a sense of wrestling at all but doesn’t know who Benoit is.

This is a guy who couldn’t talk (do promos), was about 5’9″ TOPS, and still made it to the top of the industry because he was an incredibly talented athlete (and yes, I know wrestling’s fake), because he had the love of the fans for his die-hard devotion to the game.

He trained old school with Stu Hart (Bret’s father) in the Dungeon, and I am quite sure could have legitimately submitted half of the UFC every day of the week. He was always an underdog, in that he was small (Hogan called him a Vanilla Midget when he started becoming popular based on talent, something Hogan was a stranger to), and his entire charisma was based in his determined work ethic.

He will be missed by me quite a bit.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

A very sad day.

I remember years ago dubbing, trading and scavenging tapes from Japanese TV to see Benoit in action. Often wrestling as ‘The Pegasus Kid,’ he could hang with the very best of the Japanese juniors who originated much of the spectacular moves you now see and in a time when American PW was dominating by lumbering clods.

A.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Most fitting Youtube I could find, especially with Bret and Eddie in it…who will also be missed.

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

i went online to a atlanta news website and found some more info for those who would like to know. This is so hard to understand why things like this happen everyday in this world. i’m a long time fan of wrestleing(since 5 years old i do believe) and i have seen chris many times in person and just like out past superstars that have left us too soon in their lives, chris will be truly miss.

WWE professional wrestler Chris Benoit his wife Nancy and their 7-year-old son were found dead in their home near White Water Country Club in Fayette County on Monday afternoon.

Lieutenant Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department said the three were found about 2:30 p.m., but he would release no other details.

Pope said results of autopsies on Benoit, his wife Nancy, and 7-year-old son Daniel were expected Tuesday. Police are investigating the deaths as a homicide.

Benoit, 40, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

On their Web site, World Wrestling Entertainment officials said that Benoit and his family were found dead on Monday afternoon.

The statement said, “World Wrestling Entertainment is deeply saddened to report that today Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home. There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities. Monday night’s ‘Raw’ on USA Network will serve as a tribute to Chris Benoit and his family.”

WWE president Vince McMahon began Monday’s USA Network “WWE Raw” program by announcing Benoit’s death, and announcing that Monday’s live program would be canceled. He said that in its place, they would air a three-hour tribute to Benoit’s wrestling career.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the “Vengeance” pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called “personal reasons.”

Benoit, a Canadian native, maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the now-defunct World Championship Wrestling.

Benoit’s wife, Nancy, managed several wrestlers and went by the stage name, “Woman.” The newspaper says they met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing storyline on Turner-owned World Championship Wrestling

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Only additional information I’ve read was that it wasn’t gunshots.

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

i just wanted to say thanks to Monday night Raw for doing a great job with paying respect to Chris Benoit. i will admit and say that it did make me cry while i paid respect with im sure million of fans across the nation to chris. it made me cry to know that his son will not have the chance to grow up and enjoy life. His wife also put it a lot of work b/c if you didn’t know, she did manage a few superstars back in the day. with the honor, respect and the hard work Chirs put into the buisness, it will be very hard to not see him on tv or see him in person again doing what he loved best which was put on a great show everytime he hit that ring. you will be miss my friend.

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

here is an update from a atlanta news website about Chris and his family. i’m at a lost for words with everything.

FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. — Authorities in Fayette County say autopsy results are expected today on pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and seven-year-old son — who were were found dead in their home.

Fayette County sheriff’s Lieutenant Tommy Pope says the three were found at their home Monday afternoon, but he refused to release details.

Detective Bo Turner told reporters that the case is being investigated as a murder-suicide, but said that cannot be determined until the evidence is examined by a crime lab.

Turner said investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and the boy, Daniel, sometime over the weekend, and then himself sometime Monday.

A concerned neighbor called police. The bodies were found in three different rooms.

The lead investigator, Fayette County sheriff’s Lieutenant Tommy Pope, said only that the deaths were being investigated as homicide. He said the cause of death awaits autopsy results tomorrow.

The 40-year-old Benoit, a native of Canada, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

Benoit was scheduled to perform at the “Vengeance” pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston, but was replaced at the last minute because of what announcer Jim Ross called “personal reasons.”

Benoit maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The federal-style house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and double-iron gate.

WILDMAN
    Login to Send PM

here’s an update on what is happening. i can’t believe what i have read and i’m just stunned.

Police: Wrestler Killed His Family, Hanged Himself

POSTED: 7:00 pm EDT June 25, 2007

UPDATED: 12:56 pm EDT June 26, 2007

FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. — Pro wrestler Chris Benoit strangled his wife and smothered his son before hanging himself in his weight room, a law enforcement official close to the investigation told The Associated Press.

The official spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Authorities also said they are investigating whether steroids may have been a factor in the deaths of Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old son who were found dead in an apparent murder-suicide.

Fayette County District Attorney Scott Ballard said test results may not be back for weeks or even months.

“We don’t know yet. That’s one of the things we’ll be looking at,” he said.

Fayette County sheriff’s Lieutenant Tommy Pope says the three were found at their home Monday afternoon.

Details of the deaths “are going to prove a little bizarre” when released to the public, investigators told WSB-TV reporter Tom Jones.

Investigators believe Benoit killed his wife and the boy, Daniel, sometime over the weekend, and then himself sometime Monday.

World Wrestling Entertainment said on its Web site that it asked authorities to check on Benoit and his family after being alerted by friends who received “several curious text messages sent by Benoit early Sunday morning.”

Fayette County Sheriff’s Sergeant Keith Whiteside says the bodies were found in three different rooms — Benoit in the home’s weight room, his wife in an office and the son in an upstairs bedroom.

The 40-year-old Benoit, a native of Canada, was a former world heavyweight champion, Intercontinental champion and held several tag-team titles over his career.

Benoit maintained a home in metro Atlanta from the time he wrestled for the defunct World Championship Wrestling.

The federal-style house is in a secluded neighborhood set back about 60 yards off a gravel road, surrounded by stacked stone wall and double-iron gate.

Benoit’s friends said they were stunned.

“I saw him with his family all the time,” said Jimmy Baswell, who was Benoit’s driver for more than five years. Accompanied by his wife and son, Baswell laid a white wreath Tuesday at the Benoits’ gate.

“They always seemed like they were the happiest people,” he said.

Baswell said Benoit had promised to teach his 13-year-old son Gavin how to wrestle. In a letter placed on the wreath, Gavin promised to grow up and become a wrestler like Benoit.

“Hey Chris, hope you like it up there in heaven. Don’t worry about me. I’m still going to wrestle. Tell Daniel and Nancy I said hi,” the letter said.

Neighbors said the Benoits led a low-key lifestyle.

“They were nice,” said Lorre Jones, who lives across the street. Her daughter Alaina said, “We would see Chris walking in his yard from time to time. He wasn’t rude, but he wasn’t really outwardly warm.”

“You never dream anything like this would happen in your neighborhood — let alone across the street,” Lorre Jones said.

Benoit and his wife, Nancy, met when her then-husband drew up a script that had them involved in a relationship as part of an ongoing story line on World Championship Wrestling, according to the AJC.

Benoit has two other children from a prior relationship.

Andrew Hall
    Andrew Hall
    Login to Send PM

As more and more comes to light, this gets depressing, freaky and disturbing by degrees.

My quiet little secret is that I am (more was, actually) a huge wrestling fan. Before it became trendy and huge, I was part of a cadre who traded tapes and totally jones for bootlegs from Japan where the athleticism and the ability to show ‘fighting spirit’ where paramount when the (then) WWF was showcasing lumbering freaks. Chris Benoit was an icon then, a gaijin who exemplified all these traits and provided OMFG moments. He ‘won’ tournaments in Japan which indicates the esteem in which he was held by there.

Now these memories of fuzzy multi-dubbed tapes are permanently sullied. Someone I admired for upholding standards of a craft regardless of the vagaries of trends and popularity is now permanently linked with something so abhorrent to a parent of a 7-yr old, I can’t think of anything else. If it is true about the genetic status of his child, it is still no comfort in knowing that despite the fact there is not clear right decision, he clearly made a wrong one.

It is so nice to be able to seperate the art from the artist. When you view Riefenstahl films, you do not have the constantpresence of the artist to pull you back from the abyss. But every time I might see an 2nd-rope tombstone piledriver in the best of the Juniors tournament, there is nothing to shield me from the reality of what he did.

A.

ballbrite
    Login to Send PM

I used to be a huge wrestling fan growing up. I remember going to the Ohio Center to see Randy Savage, Bill Jack Hayes, Hack Saw Jim Duggin etc… that is why this story upsets me so much. Truly now the WWE makes me sick!! So many lives have been lost to steriods and other stupid things b/c of this organization. It just blows my mind that these things continue to happen. I read this article and it really made me think about it..

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/6964262

Ndcent
    Ndcent
    Login to Send PM

$50 says he pops out from behind the curtain with a lawn chair on the next pay-per-view!!

Hatchet Jimmy
    Login to Send PM

Ndcent wrote $50 says he pops out from behind the curtain with a lawn chair on the next pay-per-view!!

HAHAhahhahahHAAHAHhahahAHAH!!!!112fourteen

http://cincinnatiunderground.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=292

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?