Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

Wonder Bread Lofts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Wonder Bread Lofts

This topic contains 61 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by News News 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

leftovers said:
    Yep, some friends who live right by it just had their rents raised $300.

That’s happening everywhere, not just IV…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/columbus-apartment-rental-market-getting-more-expensive

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM
    Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I dunno Walker, the pictures a month apart look pretty much exactly the same.
    I hope they are doing lots of stuff on the inside that we can’t see from the street.
    I mean, the side of the street, where you pulled over to safely take a photo. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Yeah, now that I look at them, they do look similar. Though I heard the sound of power tools coming form inside the building when I went by the other day, so something is going on in there. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Redevelopment Projects Give Historical Icons a Second Life
    Casualties of the changing face of American industry and culture, historic factories and districts were abandoned for decades. Now developers around the country are giving them a second life
    By MEG HANDLEY
    June 29, 2012

“When the building went up for sale, people were like, ‘Oh my god, we’re not going to lose the sign, right?’” says Kevin Lykens, owner of Lykens Companies. Lykens and his team recently undertook a project renovating the old Wonder Bread factory in Columbus, Ohio’s Italian Village neighborhood, a part of the city residents associated with the factory’s bright red neon Wonder Bread sign.

And of course, the smell of freshly baked bread.

“We won’t have that smell,” Lykens concedes. “But knowing that the building is still there, the sign is still there—everyone is ecstatic the building is not going anywhere.”

READ MORE: http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/06/29/redevelopment-projects-give-historical-icons-a-second-life

Graybeak
    Graybeak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Nice story, would have been nice to mention Smith Brother’s, The Jeffrey, all the other re-purposed buildings in the immediate vicinity too.

groundrules
    groundrules
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

MichaelC said:
    That area is on the cusp of exploding.

tell that to Jeffery Place. but really, lost in all the Wonderland hate is the simple fact that the owners of this building decided it would be more lucrative to develop it privately than lease it to a non-profit. I think that does suggest that there’s a bright future for the area.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Peeked inside an open window for a quick photo this weekend…

http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-august-2012-part-1

bucki12
    Login to Send PM

Anyone have a timetable for opening and maybe what the rents will be? I have some friends in OTE who have their sights on this place. It would be great to have them closer to me.

RhondaH
    Login to Send PM

We moved from OTE to Italian Village about 7 months ago and it has been great. The difference in being able to walk to so many things and the convenience of not having to drive across town to meet up with friends has been wonderful. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That said, I would prepare your friends for some sticker shock. Our large 2 bedroom on Franklin Ave cost us only $550 a month and had a garage. Out new place in IV costs $1050 and with street parking and no central A/C. Since these are brand new apartments in a signature building I imagine they will rent at a fairly high rate.

bucki12 said:
    Anyone have a timetable for opening and maybe what the rents will be? I have some friends in OTE who have their sights on this place. It would be great to have them closer to me.

News
    News
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Wonder Bread Lofts Nearing Completion
    Published on April 29, 2013 11:00 am
    By: Brent Warren

Construction is wrapping up on the Wonder Bread Lofts project in Italian Village, with leasing set to begin within the next two weeks. Developer Kevin Lykens says that they hope to bring the first 20 units online by the end of May, and to be finished with all construction by the end of July.

The project will feature a 2,500 square foot restaurant space along with 48 one-bedroom and 18 two-bedroom apartments. A 1,000 square foot event venue, originally part of the plans when they were first announced last May, has been scrapped in favor of additional apartments. Neighborhood concerns about parking plus the current demand for apartments in the area were the two main factors in the decision, according to Lykens.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/wonder-bread-lofts-nearing-completion-bw1

scottth1
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

DONT RENT FROM HIM.

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED.

ricospaz
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Stop yelling!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

The sign was turned back on last night:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?