Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Why is Columbus a shopping wasteland?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Why is Columbus a shopping wasteland?

This topic contains 98 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by lin lin 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    lin
    lin
    Login to Send PM

Nordstrom Rack is in Cleveland and Cincinnati. Not in Columbus.

Ulta has three locations in Cincinnati, three locations in Cleveland and one in Toledo. None in Columbus.

H&M has four locations in Cleveland, one in Cincinnati, one in Toledo and one really small store in Columbus.

Sephora has four stores in Cleveland, one in Cincinnati and one in Columbus.

Cleveland has the only M.A.C. (cosmetics) store in Ohio.

There are two stores in Cleveland that carry Lily Pulitzer clothes, five in Cincy and none in Columbus. Guess that means there are no preppies in this college town!

I wonder why retailers shun the C-Bus? There are tens of thousands of college students and young professionals in this city, why not tap into the market?

n.b. These are just a few stores that I like to shop at that I thought of off the top of my head. I do not claim to know how we compare in other areas like large appliances or car parts, for instance.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I would like to think that we have fewer of these establishments because we as a city have decided we have better things to do than buy a lot of “stuff” we don’t actually need.

But I doubt that is actually the case.

cr0m
    cr0m
    Login to Send PM

As long as I stay away from Easton, I’m ok with my shopping choices.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

There’s multiple MAC counters, not sure how many Sephora or H&M stores we actually need more than one, Ulta has many superiors here in the form of locally owned shops (although a website that advertises Ed Hardy Haircare Tools on the front page…), I just think you need to get outside your comfort zone and find alternatives to big box retailers.

Rockmastermike
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Core_Models wrote >>
    There’s multiple MAC counters, not sure how many Sephora or H&M stores we actually need more than one, Ulta has many superiors here in the form of locally owned shops (although a website that advertises Ed Hardy Haircare Tools on the front page…), I just think you need to get outside your comfort zone and find alternatives to big box retailers.

+1

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

So we’re a shopping wasteland because we don’t have a big off-price store or more make up choices? Our independent shopping is worlds above what Cleveland or Cincinnati (or certainly Toledo if that even needs to be mentioned) have to offer.

bjboose
    bjboose
    Login to Send PM

I don’t know if the lack of a ‘Nordstrom Rack’ qualifies the city as a shopping wasteland.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

How many Sephora’s can you shop in at once?

And the H&M here is fine for the ladies, but the fellas did kinda get the shaft.

Tigertree
    Tigertree
    Login to Send PM

And Lily Pulitzer isn’t really my thing, but if it is yours try forming relationships and talking to stores about a brand you want access to here. Probably 1/4 of what I carry is from customers complaining about something they love not being available here.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Or you could skip Lily Pulitzer and shop something like Bustown Modern, a much cooler style of vintage redux and local.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Nitsud Regnifloh
    Login to Send PM

osulew wrote >>
    How many Sephora’s can you shop in at once?
    And the H&M here is fine for the ladies, but the fellas did kinda get the shaft.

from what i have seen of those mens clothes, those guys prolly wouldnt mind…hehe

Moz
    Moz
    Login to Send PM

Tigertree wrote >>
    So we’re a shopping wasteland because we don’t have a big off-price store or more make up choices? Our independent shopping is worlds above what Cleveland or Cincinnati (or certainly Toledo if that even needs to be mentioned) have to offer.

Absolutely. I much prefer to support the entrepreneurial efforts of local retailers than major department stores or chain cosmetics stores. Having moved here from Chicago, I don’t miss the “glitz and aura” of shopping on Michigan Avenue. Leave that for the tourists and suburbanites.

dru
    dru
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

i am sure somebody in Cincinnati is griping about their lack of a Filene’s Basement (possibly a good reason Nordstrom Rack is not here), someone in Cleveland probably wishes they had a West Elm and a Tiffany & Co, and both would find their shopping status upgraded with a Burberry Store. And well someone in Toledo would probably like all of the above someday.

roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

There’s often a crapload of in-season Lily P at Filene’s Basement 161/Sawmill.

JonMyers
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

As far as I know the city has issued the maximum number of “Gobs of Cheap Shit Retail Permits”, which may explain the absence of these discounters.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 102 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?