Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

Films in Columbus/Ohio - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film Films in Columbus/Ohio – News & Updates

This topic contains 90 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  placebohigh 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author

polymethylmethacrylate
    Login to Send PM

placebohigh wrote >>
    Yeah, definitely. Why don’t we have a better tax credit?

Because we don’t want people shooting films here as badly as PGH does? I don’t know.

The people who do know are probably lurking, reading along, and afraid to speak up for fear of loosing their livelihood.

Core_Models
    Core_Models
    Login to Send PM

Considering PA is running about 3 times the budget deficit OH is, and had to cut their credit in half (although its going back up), I’m not sure a higher credit is worth it to say “oooo…celebrities be here!”

Senator Tankerbell
    Senator Tankerbell
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Talcott wrote >>

polymethylmethacrylate wrote >>
    Pittsburgh is more visually interesting?

I’m not sure if that’s necessarily an issue. In a lot of ways, you want your sets to be able to sub for any number of cities, so a certain level of nondescriptness is desirable. Now that is different for movies that are set (and filmed) in Pittsburgh, but those two don’t always overlap.

I’m not sure you want the city to be non-descript. You just want a lot of different looks and set pieces. Pittsburgh has that: major rivers, mountains, rolling hills, forests, major league ballparks, interesting architecture in the downtown area, unique historic areas, etc. Columbus has some of those things too I suppose.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

Pitts is visually interesting.

If you are looking for non-descript there are plenty of other places that have more than 72 clear days per year.

Tenzo
    Login to Send PM

Pitts is visually interesting.

If you are looking for non-descript there are plenty of other places that have more than 72 clear days per year.

Neil Jaye
    Neil Jaye
    Login to Send PM

I like this topic because I have thought the same thing. I believe Columbus has a very versatile, non-descript scenery that could easy substitute for Chicago, DC (Georgetown), areas of NYC, some European locales or almost anywhere aside for coastal, tropical or desert areas. I also think the fact that Columbus does not have license requirements on location shoots, by which I mean there is no license required or fees needed to shoot in public areas or on the streets here, assuming there are no closures required, should be very appealing (I am not 100% sure this is still in effect but I can not see why it would have changed).

I think the problem is mainly due to a lack of concentrated marketing to the Film Industry. Having a website is not enough as most people on either coast know little to nothing about Columbus Ohio (Believe me, I grew up on the East Coast and could not tell you ANYTHING about Columbus except that OSU was here before I moved here). How are we expected to get films to shoot here when in a lot of cases we’re not on the map? Yes, some movies have filmed here but with the exception of Teachers in the early 80’s most of the shoots in Columbus proper were simply small scenes, not major productions with multi-area locations based in the city.

If we want films to shoot here someone needs to spend money selling the town to Hollywood, along with [major] Independents and European Film Markets. We need to have presence at the location trade shows and run ads in trade magazines, i.e. Hollywood Reporter, Variety, etc. We need to look at the city as “product” we want to sell and spend money to do it. I do not really expect that to happen because the city doesn’t appear to have a mindset to do this. The city is still relatively conservative in their thinking opting for parks, etc rather than more radical projects; which is unfortunate.

Another thing hurting Columbus is a lack of a skilled film trade population. LA, New York, Chicago, Toronto, and Vancouver have a huge population of skilled and experienced workers for film and TV. That’s why you see most films and TV shows shot in North America filmed in those markets. I would dare to say, that has more of an affect than the appearance of the city itself, sans LA and New York. Columbus would need to work to hold on to the talent trained here at OSU, Ohio University Film School and CCAD, and try to keep them from fleeing to other markets. We should have bright creative people invest and develop production companies and houses in Columbus and operate here. They need to produce mainstream, marketable material that can be pitched to the networks, Showtime, HBO and larger studios. Shooting small budgets horror and quirky films with little mass appeal, while they may be creative and have good intentions, will not make Columbus a viable film market. It can be done. Seemingly non-movie like areas like Austin, TX, Richmond, VA, Albuquerque, NM and Savannah, GA have all been fairly successful in developing their film and TV markets. I see no reason why Columbus could not do the same with the right motivation.

With that said (too much maybe), I would love to see someone step up and get something going here. If anyone here is working on this idea, please let me know. I would love to be involved.

CrossXCountry
    CrossXCountry
    Login to Send PM

I think one of the main reasons why we don’t have many movies shot here, is that we dont have a huge river, or the biggest buildings, or a completly booming downtown population (yes i know that they have released plans on creating downtown housing.)

RoundTowner
    Login to Send PM

Pittsburgh and Detroit have much better Tax credits, plus they have something Columbus does not have….blocks and blocks of run down, slums.

e8453b
    Login to Send PM

RoundTowner wrote >>
    Pittsburgh and Detroit have much better Tax credits, plus they have something Columbus does not have….blocks and blocks of run down, slums.

Detroit, also has another side that people seldom see. check out
    The urbanophile- blog- Archive- The other side of Detroit.
    http://www.urbanophile.com

melikecheese
    melikecheese
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I am OK with no movies being filmed here. I was down in Austin when they were filming something and it just got in the way. When my brother was living there he would often complain about the movie people and the fact that they close things down and just get in the way while the city does anything and everything they ask for.

I could see some parts of town working well in movies however.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Actually, Paramount is filming a major sci-fi movie in Weirton, WV right now. And yes, it appears that down and out buildings/blocks are more to the liking of film crews.

They’ve overhauled the town to appear like the 1970s.

Neil Jaye
    Neil Jaye
    Login to Send PM

myliftkk wrote >>
    Actually, Paramount is filming a major sci-fi movie in Weirton, WV right now. And yes, it appears that down and out buildings/blocks are more to the liking of film crews.

I heard about that a little while back. It’s the new JJ Abrams film Super 8. BTW, the movie is set in Ohio (I believe).

bababoohi
    Login to Send PM

polymethylmethacrylate wrote >>
    Pittsburgh is more visually interesting?

I agree with this. Actually, even Cincy and Cleveland are much more visually interesting than Columbus in my opinion. Anytime I’m down in Cincy I say, “this is a city”. Cramped streets with lots of old buildings and some neat history. Just feels more alive which is ironic since the city is quite dead aside from Reds/Bengals games.

myliftkk
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Neil Jaye wrote >>

myliftkk wrote >>

I heard about that a little while back. It’s the new JJ Abrams film Super 8. BTW, the movie is set in Ohio (I believe).

Yes, it’s a very hush hush shoot, sort of like a Cloverfield. Some friends of ours from the west coast are on onsite in Weirton working now.

Coy
    Coy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

The hills make Pittsburgh much more dense and don’t allow the sprawl we have here, making it appear to be a much larger city than it actually is, and more interesting to film. Add some rivers, a ton of bridges, and several great ethnic/arts districts, and its way cooler visually.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?