Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Whole Foods & Duck Eggs

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Whole Foods & Duck Eggs

This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  BCOZ 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

BCOZ
    Login to Send PM

I am no gourmand (though a food snob over everyday chow) but I have a serious passion for duck eggs!!!

I’d read somewhere that duck eggs were the shizznit, so when I saw then at Whole Foods, I picked up a few and gave ‘em the ol’ sunny side up treatment (w/sea salt and cracked black pepper)

Good lord…they blew me away!

They’re only slightly bigger than chix eggs, and the whites seem much clearer and cook up very evenly (and snow white!).

The yolk is the key, natch..and this one delivered a much richer taste than chix eggs and made for a very greedy wiping o’ the plate with toast to secure every molecule.

Anyone else into the duck egg thing? Anyone tried ‘em? Anyone think I’m crazy? Anyone? Bueller?

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’ve not had duck eggs, but they sound great. I have seen that Whole Foods has ostrich eggs that are huge. Is there some special way to eat them? Anyone have these?

BCOZ
    Login to Send PM

Haven’t had duck eggs yet, but after that description I’m considering taking a drive :D

Mercurius
    Participant
    Login to Send PM
    roy
    roy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Buy all your duck eggs from North Market Poultry & Game.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Although I dissed Clintonville Comm. Mkt on another thread earlier today, there is a company who sells their duck eggs there and during the summer @ the C-ville Farmer’s market. They are amazing. Seriously.

Duck eggs are so delicious. The yolks are huge, and if you’re like me, and you only eat the whites because the runny yolk are attached, you will be in heaven. The yolks are firmer than chicken eggs, so even if you fry them, you might notice that the yolk isn’t super liquid even when you crack them into the pan. Americaura eggs (a chicken which produces green eggs, can buy them @ Weilands) are similar; you can poke the yoke with your finger and it won’t break.

Duck eggs are really rich and savory. The best thing is in May, when the first asparagus come into season, roast them in olive oil & salt and pepper, and then fry a duck egg and put on top. OMG!! Some toast on the side, maybe some grated parm – you won’t believe it.

Also, duck eggs make amazing – although orange – creme brulee.

Go buy some, now.

lisathewaitress
    lisathewaitress
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Oh, also, ostrich eggs are hard to crack. Most people I’ve known who have cooked them have drilled a hole in the egg and then stuck a skewer in to break the yolk up, and then drain the egg out and scramble it (it’s about 1 dozen chicken eggs). Have you ever watched a show about how the ancient Egyptians preserved mummies? How they would go up through the nasal cavity and scramble the brain with a needle the get it out of the skull? Exact same method.

Bear
    Bear
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Thank you, Lisa, for two things:

1. Utterly compelling duck egg wisdom.

2. Destroying the raging, and totally insatiable, midnight March duck-egg-and-asparagus hunger pangs that you created with 1., by using the Egyptian mummy nose-needle brain-scrambling analogy for the ostrich eggs, thereby ruining my appetite for at least another hour.

Very tidily done. :wink:

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I know what I’m going to be making for breakfast this weekend. Those sound fantastic. I love egg yolks.

I’d love to try to whip up a version of the eggs del mar they serve at Banana Bean.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I’m an egg hater in general – one of the few foods I dislike and mostly avoid. But duck eggs are really really good. I usually only eat the whites, and I think they have a lot more substance/heft to them than chicken eggs.

surber17
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

osulew wrote I know what I’m going to be making for breakfast this weekend. Those sound fantastic. I love egg yolks.

I’d love to try to whip up a version of the eggs del mar they serve at Banana Bean.

Banana Bean……..prob. my favorite weekend place to eat in Columbus

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

I love making creme brulee, maybe next time I will try with duck eggs! Thanks for the knowledge Lisa!

Daz
    Login to Send PM

I totally want to make a couple of these… hmm.. with a side of bacon and some avacado on toast….

mmmmmmmmm

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Daz wrote I totally want to make a couple of these… hmm.. with a side of bacon and some avacado on toast….

mmmmmmmmm

I love bacon and avocado together. I was craving bacon and avocado last night…with some pineapple. I’m going to do the duck egg, bacon and avocado toast thing this Sunday.

I’m drooling on my desk.

Angel
    Angel
    Login to Send PM

do you guys do food tasting parties too, like the beer tasting? i’ll come to that. :wink:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?