Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

Which Columbus Suburb is THE BEST?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Which Columbus Suburb is THE BEST?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

We talk a lot about urban neighborhoods here on CU, but we also enjoy discussing the unique attributes of our suburban surroundings as well.

What characteristics make a suburban neighborhood the most desirable for being a place to live and/or visit? Do you look only for good schools? Do you look for amenities? Cultural elements? Diversity? Walkable and mixed-use neighborhoods?

Which Columbus suburb is THE BEST in your opinion, and WHY?

Here’s an older article from The Dispatch in 2008 that is relevant reading material:

Census shows how suburbs stack up

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

BY SHERRI WILLIAMS

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Of the seven largest suburbs in Franklin County, Reynoldsburg is the most diverse and Upper Arlington is home to the most residents working from home.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/12/09/BURB_CENSUS.ART_ART_12-09-08_A1_L8C670V.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Also worth reading:

Suspicious Lack of Diversity in Cleveland Magazine’s “Top Suburb”
    31 MAY 2011

Every year this plastic-surgeon-supported pamphlet makes a list of the most car-centric, culturally vapid, tract-housing, white-people ghettos in Northeast Ohio. Whichever suburb is the whitest, with the most big-box stores, is generally the runaway favorite for top prize.

READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2011/05/31/suspicious-lack-of-diversity-in-cleveland-magazines-top-suburb/

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

When did Reynoldsburg stop being a suburb?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Just added the poll up top. Unfortunately, there’s only room for 9 poll options, so I included the largest of the Franklin County suburbs.

A more complete list includes:

Bexley
    Brice
    Canal Winchester
    Dublin
    Gahanna
    Grandview Heights
    Grove City
    Groveport
    Harrisburg
    Hilliard
    Lockbourne
    Marble Cliff
    Minerva Park
    New Albany
    Pickerington
    Obetz
    Reynoldsburg
    Riverlea
    Urbancrest
    Upper Arlington
    Valleyview
    Westerville
    Whitehall
    Worthington

Outside of Franklin County / Exurbs:

Delaware
    Powell
    Lancaster
    Newark
    Pataskala
    Granville
    Heath
    London
    Circleville
    Marysville
    Plain City

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Though I spent most of my years living in Columbus proper, I’ve also lived in Bexley, Dublin and Grandview. My family and I have recently moved to Gahanna and although I haven’t been there that long, I really like it. Great woods, restaurants and parks. (Also really nice to be that close to 670 for my many jaunts downtown).

DavidF
    DavidF
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Gahanna is amazingly convenient to downtown. My parents live in the neighborhood adjacent to Creekside. It’s a nice older, pretty walkable, neighborhood.

lakeerietransplant
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

Walker wrote >>
    Also worth reading:
    31 MAY 2011
    Every year this plastic-surgeon-supported pamphlet makes a list of the most car-centric, culturally vapid, tract-housing, white-people ghettos in Northeast Ohio. Whichever suburb is the whitest, with the most big-box stores, is generally the runaway favorite for top prize.
    READ MORE: http://rustwire.com/2011/05/31/suspicious-lack-of-diversity-in-cleveland-magazines-top-suburb/

Pretty much describes the suburbs around Columbus too.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

lakeerietransplant wrote >>

Definitely. That infographic up top reveals that Reynoldsburg is the most diverse suburb in Central Ohio, with a 77% white population.

Columbus itself is 65.4% white overall, though I imagine you could break racial demographics down by neighborhood (which might individually be more comparable in size to some suburban areas) to find much more diverse or minority-populated parts of town.

joev
    joev
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I really don’t think diversity has much correlation to a better or worse neighborhood. People are people.

Coy
    Coy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

lakeerietransplant wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    Also worth reading:
    31 MAY 2011

This.

Bexley is the only one on this list I’d ever CONSIDER moving to… if I first couldn’t find anywhere in Franklinton, OTE, GV, VV, SN, etc….
    Culture takes a nose dive outside Cbus proper.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

@joev – I’m sure certain considerations are made in terms of diversity (or lack there of) when selecting a place to live, whether consciously or subconsciously.

A lot of people will equate a “good” neighborhood with one that lacks economic diversity (“no poor people allowed”). I’d like to think that racial diversity is something that isn’t as much of a factor when selecting a “best” place to live, but that’s probably not always the case.

Coy
    Coy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

OSU is the best suburb of Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Login to Send PM

Coy wrote >>
    Bexley is the only one on this list I’d ever CONSIDER moving to…

I’d strongly consider Grandview, Gahanna, Bexley, Worthington and Westerville. Each has some nice walkable areas and unique amenities.

Most of the other “near 270 suburbs” are lacking in those things, or their walkable areas they do have are smaller and their amenities are much more spread out and car-centric.

Beyond that, the exurbs (Delaware, Marysville, Newark, Circleville, Lancaster, etc) are all older county-seat type cities, some of which have some very nice walkable “Downtown” areas that I think could be easily enjoyed by most urban enthusiasts on CU.

Coy
    Coy
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I like Delaware and have played gigs there with success.
    That being said, I’d just move to Yellow Springs if I was gonna go that far out! :)

BCNation
    Participant
    Login to Send PM

I had friends who grew up in Dublin, Westerville, Upper Arlington, Galloway, Hilliard, Bexley, Groveport, Gahanna, and the urban neighborhoods of Columbus proper, and I picked Westerville (in the poll), not because of where I went to college at, ok, that’s one reason, but there are great parks, great schools, great Uptown Business District. It’s equidistant to Polaris and Easton, a stone throw and hop-skip to I-71 and I-270.

You’ve got Otterbein (and its very close proximity to Uptown Westerville), Sharon Woods, Blendon Woods, & Inniswood Metro Parks, Hoover Reservoir, etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Lost your password?