Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus Bike Lanes — News, Updates & Discussion

This topic contains 275 replies, has 74 voices, and was last updated by  jbcmh81 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 276 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice Dispatch photo today by Barbara Perenic that shows how friendly the current configuration is to pedestrians and bikers…

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/09/addition–subtraction.html

jbcmh81
    Participant

Nice Dispatch photo today by Barbara Perenic that shows how friendly the current configuration is to pedestrians and bikers…

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/02/09/addition–subtraction.html

After reading that article, the city has the right idea, but not always the right implementation. If you striped bike lanes in that image, it would really not change a single thing. Bikers would still be in the middle of traffic. Without dedicated lanes, the city is just making token gestures. “We value bikes, but sorry, we’re not going to actually build the infrastructure that shows that we value you. But we’ll paint some lines everyone driving will completely ignore.”

Zyro
    Participant

I think they can help to some degree. If they aren’t protected lanes, painting them green/striping would be the next best thing, imo. Baby steps, I guess, haha.

Also, would you guys agree that just because they do this doesn’t meant they won’t revisit it in the future to possibly make further improvements? I’d like to think so, at least.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I think they can help to some degree. If they aren’t protected lanes, painting them green/striping would be the next best thing, imo. Baby steps, I guess, haha.

Also, would you guys agree that just because they do this doesn’t meant they won’t revisit it in the future to possibly make further improvements? I’d like to think so, at least.

Maybe they will, just like I hope they will revisit dedicated lanes for the BRT line. But why go through all that and spend the money if you’re just going to have to do it right later on. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Zyro
    Participant

Ugh….don’t remind me about the BRT thing. I just came to that realization a few days ago.

In fact, we should stop calling it BRT :p

Either way, one seems far more expensive to do than the other. Or maybe not? I really don’t know. Even if they do, for example, make a dedicated lane for the “new bus route” (heh), I don’t feel like repainting the lines differently would cost a whole bunch and could be worked in with a regularly schedules resurfacing or something.

However, a protected bike lane might actually cost more depending on how they do it. But I can’t imagine those poles and/or a separating curb cost TOO much. But I’m just an armchair critic. I’m not an expert and this is me just saying things I hope are true :p

Mike Hansen
    Participant

In the scheme of things protected bikes lanes do not cost that much. Much cheaper than a fly over highway. Hopefully the city planners will have more confidence building safer streets after that get this 1 mile protected bike lane under their belt.

Josh Miller
    Participant

From the University Area Commission’s meeting (thanks @heresthecasey for the link) – a mega PDF containing the bike lane scheme from Hudson all the way through downtown. Not sure what some of the symbols and icons represent at a few spots but will do some googling.

http://universityarea.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Summit-3rdSt-4thSt_Repaving-MapsCompiled.pdf

Hudson & Summit/4th

5th & Summit/4th

670 & Summit(3rd)/4th

Spring & 3rd/4th

substance
    Participant

Looks like great improvements. It even tries to bring a bit of safety to 670 crossing. There needs to be some slowly thingys put on 670 ramp that merges into 3rd. Drivers need to be warned that they are now on a city street.

pkovacs
    Participant

This is what is happening to the protected bike lanes in Cincinnati. Columbus says a plow or sweeper will fit in the two-way bike lanes, but I sure wouldn’t want to park my car when a snow plow or street sweeper drives through. I REALLY think the original design of one-way buffered bike lanes on Fourth and Summit is safer and less expensive. Everyone keeps telling me to walk away, this is a demonstration project, it will bring cyclists out of the woodwork. I will continue to try harder to point out that others are demonstrating that protected bike lanes don’t work and cyclists will come out of the woodwork and stay safe with properly designed bike lanes.

Cyclists should not be riding against traffic and should not be riding inside the parking lane, period. I even recommend that young children walk on the right side of the street if possible. I just saw a pedestrian almost hit by a right on red turning car at Mt. Vernon and Fourth St this weekend. Thee motorist did not look right where the pedestrian was crossing.

http://local12.com/m/news/features/top-stories/stories/New-bike-lane-sees-rise-in-accidents-and-costs-98447.shtml#.VQbGBI7F812

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

This is what is happening to the protected bike lanes in Cincinnati. Columbus says a plow or sweeper will fit in the two-way bike lanes, but I sure wouldn’t want to park my car when a snow plow or street sweeper drives through. I REALLY think the original design of one-way buffered bike lanes on Fourth and Summit is safer and less expensive. Everyone keeps telling me to walk away, this is a demonstration project, it will bring cyclists out of the woodwork. I will continue to try harder to point out that others are demonstrating that protected bike lanes don’t work and cyclists will come out of the woodwork and stay safe with properly designed bike lanes.

Cyclists should not be riding against traffic and should not be riding inside the parking lane, period. I even recommend that young children walk on the right side of the street if possible. I just saw a pedestrian almost hit by a right on red turning car at Mt. Vernon and Fourth St this weekend. Thee motorist did not look right where the pedestrian was crossing.

http://local12.com/m/news/features/top-stories/stories/New-bike-lane-sees-rise-in-accidents-and-costs-98447.shtml#.VQbGBI7F812

agreed, this plan has all the markings of a half-assed plan. The public input was minimal, the presentation was weak, and the timeline is expedited so we can get us some federal $ to make it happen. I wish transportation was more friendly to public input, this could have been an excellent plan, but its potential failure jeopardizes safety and future bike lanes on major arterials.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Minneapolis Sets Out to Build 30 Miles of Protected Bike Lanes By 2020
    Minneapolis is one of the best cities for biking in the U.S., and it wants to get better. Last week the city released a plan to build 30 miles of protected bike lanes over the next five years and a total of 48 over 10 years.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2015/04/21/minneapolis-sets-out-to-build-30-miles-of-protected-bike-lanes-by-2020/

Its incredible how much bike infrastructure can be put in place at so little cost. The $6 million for this in Minneapolis is less than 1/5 of the money Columbus is spending just to resurface streets this year. My personal hope is something like this comes out as part of Connect Columbus.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Glad this project is moving ahead at such a fast pace. Sounds ike everything north of 670 will be done this fall!

http://columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Columbus/Elected_Officials/City_Council/News/Council_Highlights/2015/highlights%204.27.15.pdf

ROAD IMPROVEMENTS: Public Service and Transportation Committee chair Shannon G. Hardin is sponsoring ordinance 1020-2015 to allow the City to partner with the Ohio Department of Transportation to improve US 23, Summit and 4th Streets between Hudson and I-670. Construction will reduce the road from three to two lanes to allow for a bike lane and still maintain parking. The project should begin this summer and end this fall. The estimated construction cost ofhe project is $6.8 million with the City’s share being $3,087,866.00.

News
    Participant

Bike Lanes Update: Long and Spring, Fourth and Summit, and New Lanes on Near East Side
    August 3, 2015 8:00 am – Brent Warren

This fall should see the completion of a trio of bike infrastructure projects – new lanes are planned for the Near East Side; enhancements are on tap for the bike lanes installed last year on Long and Spring streets downtown; and work will be beginning soon on the much-anticipated Fourth and Third/Summit street bike lanes, which will extend north to Hudson street and include a 1.4-mile long protected lane.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/bike-lanes-update-long-and-spring-fourth-and-summit-and-new-lanes-on-near-east-side-bw1

Zyro
    Participant

Wow! I didn’t even know about the Summit and 4th street projects coming up. I’ve complained about those two streets SO much and it’s actually happening! So exciting! And ODOT is cooperating/helping!

I’m honestly in shock.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 276 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.